Heart rate while exercising

Options
I was at a new gym today and they had a poster hanging up for your target heart rate. The lady told me that I should be aiming for about 140 bpm. My heart rate was closer to 175. During the workout, I didn't feel like my heart was beating any faster than it does during any other workout. I feel like I push myself but not to the point where it is too much. If I work out at a lower intensity, I will just feel like I'm cheating and wasting the workout. What's the big deal? Is it dangerous for me to maintain a higher heart rate if it feels okay? And if I absolutely do have to slow my heart down while exercising, how do I do it and not feel like I'm missing out on the whole thing?

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I was at a new gym today and they had a poster hanging up for your target heart rate. The lady told me that I should be aiming for about 140 bpm. My heart rate was higher than that. During the workout, I didn't feel like my heart was beating any faster than it does during any other workout. I feel like I push myself but not to the point where it is too much. If I work out at a lower intensity, I will just feel like I'm cheating and wasting the workout. What's the big deal? Is it dangerous for me to maintain a higher heart rate if it feels okay? And if I absolutely do have to slow my heart down while exercising, how do I do it and not feel like I'm missing out on the whole thing?

I'm not a doctor.

That being said, 140 is my minimum, really...so I say push. Your body will let you know when you're pushing too hard. You will HAVE to stop and breathe.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Look up heart rate info online. It goes by your age, sex. Higher heart rates are for fitness, lower heart rates for longer periods burn more calories. I know there is a calculation somewhere but I don't recall it off the top of my head.
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of calculators and charts out on the web...here is a chart...I think you're fine with being at 140.

http://getfitwithval.com/target-heart-rate-chart/
  • pmoriarty
    pmoriarty Posts: 18
    Options
    You should be able to work out at a higher heart rate than 140 with little to.worry about. I am 33 years old and have lost about 57 lbs with 150 left to go. My workouts are from 45 min to am hour and I will work to keep my heart rate between 130 and 165 doing HIIT workouts. That being said I spent most of my workout in the 150-160 range. I think you may have been given some bunk advice at the gym.
  • cpearce3
    cpearce3 Posts: 6
    Options
    My heart rate is typically 160 when I am exercising and when I haven't worked out in a while it can easily jump to 180. If you feel like you are ok then that is the most important thing. When mine gets over 160, I will feel pretty out of breath so I know to ease up a bit.