Experiences that really, deeply changed you

Options

Replies

• TeamDale
    TeamDale Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I got saved July 24, 1984.

My AA and NA sobrietry dates are also July 24, 1984.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    -Accepting Christ as a child
    -My parents' divorce
    -The death of my young uncle, my grandfather, a friend from school, a teacher, a guidance counselor, and my aunt (to name a few) in a year's time
    -Making the decision to go live with my dad
    -The day I threw the bag of leftover food back at the bullies
    -The day I broke up with my boyfriend of 3 years
    -Getting pregnant before I was married
    -The birth of my daughter
    -Most recently, losing 60 pounds and lifting heavy weights
  • findingmeagain2
    findingmeagain2 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    The experiences that deeply changed me the most started at 13. I was followed home from school. I was almost pulled into this guys car, when my mom's friend saved me. That is the day that I realized that I can run my *kitten* off when I was scared and that I am truly a fighter to my core.

Second thing that changed me was watching my father, who was my best friend, die of stage 4 Melanoma cancer. You never realize how indestructible you see your parents. He was my idol, first love, best friend, among other things. Holding his hand as he took his last breath, I experienced such a soul searing, shattering, life altering sadness. I decided in that moment to begin to take a good look at my life and make changes.

As my father was battling stage 4 Melanoma cancer, I was fighting stage 3 Melanoma cancer. Helping him through his, seeing my possible future, I decided a few things that are still changing me to this day.....

1...You only have one life, so you better start living it!
    2...Only you can make yourself happy, so do all you can to change the things you always wished to, why not!!??!
    3...Take chances, what is the worst someone can say.....no....and then move on!

Knock on wood, my cancer is silent for now, and if it returns.....It can KISS MY *kitten*!! I will fight and fight :wink:

39946_1505475193576_5361156_n.jpg
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Ex- GF cheated on me with my so called best friend. This was when I was 19 (33 now) but defo cut me up big time. Went off the rails a bit as well. This defo changed my outlook on a number of things in life.
  • BrianaJade1
    Options
    When I was like 10, I was alone at home (normal thing to do back home as we mature fairly fast). I heard somebody breaking the window glass and trying to run after me. I took off and ran out the door screaming to the neighbors home. The person who broke in took off.

Police came and did a search. They saw something on the floor during their search and gave it to my parents. My parents seemed mortified after seeing whatever was given to them. They hugged me tightly. I didn't said anything.

After a week or 2 I got the courage to ask them what was it. After discussing privately my parents decided that its best I know so I can keep better alert. They showed me a picture of me taken from my bedroom closet while I was sleeping.

Wow, that would be traumatising.
    Probably not the best thing for me to read right before I go to bed either!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I do believe that live changes happen in an instant.

I grew up surfing and I honestly never remeber "learning" how to swim or surf. It is just something that kind of happened. Like most of us walking or running.
    Anyway, I was 11 years old and I got hammered pretty hard. The wave knocked the wind out of me and my leash broke. I had to be pulled from the water and that was it for me. No more Surfing.
    My older Brother convinced me to go back out there and the first wave I caught, I rode it in. I was so happy that I got over that fear. Now, I remember that anytime something scares me.

I got married quite young and my wife had multiple affairs. That really screwed me up and I still carry trust issues with me. My current wife is pretty understanding of it. I get VERY nervous sometimes when she goes out with the girls. I don't want her to suffer for the sins of my EX but at the same time, I get really bothered.

All my life, I wanted to be a police officer. The first time I got shot at (Desert Storm), I changed my mind about that.

In 1993, I was part of a unit assigned to protect Red Cross workers in Somolia. This was the first time I saw someone (a woman) get trampled to death by people fighting over food. That shook me up. A few days later, I observed a child of about two or three years old pass away while waiting for food. That changed my entire outlook on life. It is amazing how much we take for granted here in America...
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I am sure throughout the years that I have endured many things that have taught me valuable lessons but the things that stand out to me most are:

1. Watching my Grandmother who I lived across the street from my whole childhood turn into a totally different person due to Alzheimers. I watched her go from someone who could move mountains to someone that couldn't even remember to go to the bathroom on her own. It was so devastating. She lived with this disease for over 10 years and each year would get more and more difficult to watch. When she finally passed away, I lost a big piece of my heart, but I have always kept things that she taught me in my head and heart and I think about her every day and the kind of person she was before the disease. She is my angel now and I know she is still watching over me. In fact, I see her all the time in my own daughter now.

2. My mom surviving breast cancer. This was a huge deal because my mom was 42 and I was 17 at the time of her diagnoses... this made it much more scary because my mom lost her mother to Lukemia when she was 17 and my grandmother was 42. It hit really close to home. I made it a point to be strong for her and help her though. This November will mark her 19 years being cancer free. She is my hero! She makes time to help so many others through the difficulties of battling breast cancer and is always willing to help someone in need. I strive to be like her.

3. Visiting the country my husband is from (Dominican Republic) taught me some very valuable lessons about life and taking so many of the precious luxeries that we have for granted. One experience that stands out the most was visting a friend's mother there on my first trip. She had a very nice home with beautiful furniture and was so happy. Over the course of the next 2 years, she lost her husband and her income and when I returned to visit her again I cried at the sight of her very empty home. All she had left was a couple of plastic lawn chairs. My husband gave her some money and she cried and told him that she had just prayed the night before to God to help her find a way to eat the next day. She has since had to sell her home and move to a very small place that is barely a home. This will stick with me forever. I am grateful that we are able to help support my mother-in-law and brothers-in-law who still live there but I wish that we could do more for others. We are in no way well off, but we do what we can.
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    --Losing my baby sister when I was 14. She was only 2 weeks old. (I was an only child up to that point)

--Welcoming my second baby sister when I was 16. I have made every effort to be present for every milestone in her life. She's getting married in October.

(these two events were the catalyst for me to go into the medical field. Would never have considered it before.)

--Having two miscarriages back-to-back. I treasure my 3 girls so much more than I would have otherwise.

Life is fleeting. Bad things can and do happen to good people (and can be overcome!). Treasure those you love, and be thankful for each day you have with them.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I suffered an ectopic pregnancy in November last year, I was living in Taiwan at the time (I'm from the UK), I had life saving surgery.
    The hospital, surgeons and nurses were amazing, it brought my fiancé and I closer and it has made me appreciate life more.
  • tonafoto
    tonafoto Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Last post is from 2013. Anyone in 2016?
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Seeing the movie Twister in the theaters. Been a srorm chaser/enthusiast ever since.
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Wow this stuff is heavy so I'm just gonna go for it:

My Dad used to knock my mum around but she went a bit Tina Turner and started hitting him back then left him when I was 8.
    Then her 2nd husband...the man I called Dad, left without a word while we were all at school/work. I was the one who made the discovery first so had to tell her. The year that followed, I believe turned me into the woman that I am now.

Having kids- I think it changes everyone. They calmed me down :smile:

My mother in law- now this isn't your usual mother in law stuff. I'm very close to my in laws but she's an alcoholic. She made my life hell when I had her first grandchild. I don't actually know how I got through it. But it's made me fiercely protective of my relationship with husband and my children.

I got made redundant this year- not a massive thing but I was there for 12 years. Work has always been a huge part of who I am. All my friends and even some of my family worked there and many of us got let go. I took 3 months off work, it's been amazing and I've learnt that there's much more to life than just running around in a haze juggling work and motherhood. I'm looking at life from a whole new angle. I'm going self employed and starting my own business. Think this is my next chapter.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    1. Being a father
    2. The highest highs and lowest lows of life long commitment
    3. Allowing myself to be positive, always
    4. Believing in something more than myself
    5. Everything about life after 40
    6. Understanding and accepting I cannot know everything, but continuing to try
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Man, some deep stuff in here.

- my mom beating me up frequently when I was a kid because I wanted to stop my piano lessons. Never trusted her with any of my deep feelings ever since
    - the huge depression that caused/followed my first divorce
    - Being robbed in the subway when I was 23 (I chased the guy down and scared the *kitten* out of him to get my wallet back - definitely figured out something about myself that day)
    - Learning in a mistakenly CC'ed email that the guy I considered my best friend when I was 23 thought I was a lunatic (during my depression). Haven't really trusted anyone enough to have a good friend since (until recently - I think? - still working on that one and honestly it's terrifying me)
    - my father's death
    - moving to the US
    - infertility and adopting my kids
    - all my job experiences - I still have a hard time convincing myself that I'm not completely worthless after those

Yeah my life has been all rainbows and unicorns, lol.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Holy smokes I've led an easy life

1. growing up doing something somewhat based on appearance taught me to never let someone see that they can have an effect on what you think about yourself.
    2. being told my baby would have no brain (he does have a brain btw) at my first ultrasound was pretty life altering. Meant that I'd never again judge anyone for decisions made during pregnancy and those that say they would never do anything like terminate a pregnancy I now say wait until you are in the position where you are being given that option. Being told this information by your family doctor of 33 years I think changed his life a bit too.
    3. Spending countless hours at the cancer centre with my dad for his treatments has given me a new appreciation for how lucky I am and how tough people can be. Having a bad day go and sit with someone getting a chemo treatment, between the kindness of the nurses and the hope that the patients have it can't not alter your own perspective on life.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    - Being sexually abused
    - My divorce
    - Having my kids

All the rest of it is superficial really, even though it seemed really important at the time
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I was on the convoy back from Hohenfels with about a platoon-sized
    element of A Btry. I don't recall most of those there except CPL
    Stevens. Just past Nurnburg we came upon an over-turned 5-ton along
    the side of the autobahn. As we approached I got on the radio
    "Stop-Stop-Stop! They're americans!"

When I stopped my HMMWV on the shoulder I sprinted back to the scene.
    German Paramedics were around the truck, as was a crowd of on-lookers.
    Thankfully I had picked up a good deal of the German language from
    My then-girlfriend. I was able to make conversation and coordination with the
    responders and medics. I shared with the others there were two known
    occupants inside, then moved in front of the truck, noticing a gap
    just below the hood, between the truck and the ground. I remember
    low-crawling under the truck to look for the occupants. I was greeted
    by a SGT on his back, forehead skin peeled back some. He was
    incoherent but conscious. I grabbed him by the shoulder and told him

"Were Americans. We're here. It'll be okay." I could smell fuel and
    feel fluid everywhere. Occasionally we'd see sparks.

Luckily, we had a wrecker with us, so we were able to hook to the
    undercarriage of the truck and lift it about 2 feet. We couldn't go
    much higher because the wrecker was a 5-ton, too - in fact, we had
    by-standers perched up on the front bumper of the wrecker to try and
    provide a modicum of counter weight. I was called out from under the
    truck while they attempted a lift. As the truck got a little more
    clearance i went back under and was able to position myself under the
    SGT and sort of wiggle him out to the waiting paramedics. I pulled him atop me,
    and sorta scooted him (think rescue swimmer) out from under the truck
    At one point the front of the wrecker started raising up off the ground! Dozens of
    bystanders and other Soldiers rushed to climb on it, in an attempt to
    act as a counter-weight.

As the man I helped bring out was being put into the ambulance I
    looked down at my right hand to see it painted with blood and what
    seemed like pieces of flesh. CPL Stephens, and this is why I remember
    him being there, walked with me to the medic and helped me wash it
    off. The driver of the vehicle, however, was still there. He was
    trapped by the weight of the under-seat batteries.

There are 4 batteries in a 5-ton, if I recall. I'd guess each weighs 50lbs. The
    driver was screaming and moaning for most of the event. Myself and a
    German paramedic grabbed the seat and pulled up in an attempt to allow
    room to remove the driver. As they got the driver out, and turned him
    face up we saw his Army-issue "Birth Control" classes had shattered.

The glass, unfortunately, filled his eyes, sort of like a snow-cone.

The first man was airlifted to a hospital - a helicopter landed right
    there on the freeway. I walked to the bird along side his stretcher -
    MASH style. When we got there, he looked up at me and a single tear
    rolled down his cheek. I put my hand on his shoulder and said
    "Sergeant...you'll be fine." He flew away. The driver of the 5-ton was
    driven away.

Moving back along we ensured there had been nobody had been in the
    back of the truck - we found the dispatch and some personal gear which
    we secured. One thing we noticed - the Truck did not have a proper
    'dispatch' - wasn't properly authorized to leave post. I remember
    looking at one of the kevlars the soldiers had with them containing a
    literal puddle of blood. We dumped it there along side the road and
    headed back for our installation.

When we got back to McCully a group was waiting for us. One SFC was
    passionately telling us how we'll get screwed because none of our
    leadership would put us in for the Soldier's Medal. Now, I'm not sure
    what we did would have met THAT criteria...But eventually their
    battalion commander sent down "Certificates of Achievement" to us
    which read:

Meritorious achievement during the recovery and evacuation of two B
    Co, 501st FSB Soldiers involved in an automobile accident. Your
    actions allowed for the quick medical evacuation of both soldiers and
    very likely, saved their lives. This reflects great credit upon..."
    yadda yadda yadda.

The reason I know the citation is because it's the only Army award I
    keep in my office/cubical. Sure, i've got a couple ARCOMS and whatever - but
    with being able to provide a service to those two Soldiers - that was
    special to me.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Telling the man I loved that it was okay to go to sleep and that when he woke up everything would be okay. I knew that he was never going to wake up. Less than 24 hours later I had to make the decision to have him taken off of life support. I was 28 years old.

• devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I've got several, but the biggest one was when my husband came back from Afghanistan and EAS'd 4 months later.

Fortunately, we had been together for around 8 years so we had a very solid foundation to start. I don't believe we would have made it if we hadn't been together long. He returned home to a 2 year old and 6 month old twins (that he'd never met) from a combat deployment where there were several casualties and fatalities.

The whole first year of him being out of the service was an experience that changed the way I think, the way I feel, our marriage, our kids, my perspective on life in general... You learn a lot about someone when they're going through some things (survivor's guilt, PTSD, and TBI to name a few. It's been almost 5 years and while the intensity of some struggles have changed, it's still something we're forever living with.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Too many that are too personal to share. Those aside I will say that my experiences as a Peace Corps volunteer fundamentally changed my world view and who I am for the better.

ETA two of my favorite related quotes:

By Mark Twain: "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

By John Muir: “Few places in this world are more dangerous than home. Fear not, therefore, to try the mountain passes. They will kill care, save you from deadly apathy, set you free, and call forth every faculty into vigorous, enthusiastic action.”