Better workout for losing large amounts of weight?

Options
If you're trying to lose about 80pounds what type of workout will help you do this the best. A lot of cardio and some strength, equal amounts of both, or more strength than cardio. I've never tried to lose this much weight, but it's time to.

Replies

• aneisiena
    aneisiena Posts: 63
    Options
    I don't think you can go wrong with progressing from walking > speed walking > jogging > jogging for distance!

I prefer treadmills because they monitor my pace. I didn't used to, though...so you can always start off with the stationary bike and move to the elliptical and finally the big kahuna treadmill haha. Best of luck :smile:
  • davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    Options
    you need some of each, try to split your workout in half
  • cutesue
    cutesue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I believe it different for everyone, so i can only speak for me. I have lost just over 50 pounds now, i started with the wii fit plus and the treadmill.. then moved on and added the circuit (tummy crunches, arm extensions etc). Now after 4 months i ride a bike i just bought myself, i walk around 6 miles every day, i play tennis and use dumbbells at home for the arms. But i believe you will find the correct mix. The above works for me, i try to vary it and use different muscle groups etc. I am very happy with my progress so far.

Good luck!!
  • neison78
    neison78 Posts: 6
    Options
    I had about 60 lbs to lose when I first started my journey back in March. I started "The Skinny Mom Challenge" and trained for a mini-marathon. During the challenge the trainer suggested a "Clean Eating" diet. You can look on-line for more info. I am now on my second Skinny Mom Challenge. This time round she had me start on the 17 day diet. As far as exercise goes, I walked or ran mostly. I also did the 30 day shred DVD. I have gone down from 202.8 (March 2011) to 174 (current weight).

I have struggled with my weight for years and finally something clicked for me. I was finally ready to do something about it and change my lifestyle. If you set your mind to it, you can do it!

Hope this helps. :)

Good luck
    Niki
  • Foreverfree11
    Options
    They always say you should incorporate at least some weight training ino your exercise since the more muscle you have the more calories you burn. I have done the majority of my exercise in the form of cardio until I got closer to my goal and then slowly have been bringing in the weights to tone up. I guess it's probably a matter of personal preference :-)
  • neison78
    neison78 Posts: 6
    Options
    I guess I should say, that if I couldn't get outside to walk I would use my treadmill and watch The Biggest Loser (what a great motivation!). I also love to use an elliptical!
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    From what I understand its all about how much time you have. You need both. The more muscle you build the more effective your body will be during cardio and the more you will burn when your body is at rest (not working out). Cardio burns fat while you are doing it and if you are like me all the tummy fat I have is only going to go away through good old fashioned cardio.

As to what type of exercise that just depends on your fitness level. You may find walking gets your heart rate up at the beginning but at you get more fit not so much. Same with weights many women believe they will get bulky with heavy weights when in reality it takes a woman way more work and supplements to ever get bulky lifting weights. But you definetly have to start out light.

Lunges, squats, and pushups are all body weight resistance training you could do without equipment so you can always start there
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    If you have a large amount to loose, any exercise will work. I do primarily water aerobics. It's the fact that you are moving period that matters. As you get smaller and want to work on shaping your body more specific exercises to work on certain areas are warranted. Right now it's simply important to work consistently for 3-4 times a week.
  • kassandra1717
    kassandra1717 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Supersets burn more fat when lifting weights. Look into what they are and how to work them into your workout routine,.
  • AlyAnt26
    AlyAnt26 Posts: 58
    Options
    I have been taking classes at my gym. Classes like Zumba, Hip Hop Jams, and TurboKick keep things interesting, they are fun (so you don't realize how hard you're working) and they burn LOTS of calories! I was so terrified to step into that class the first day though! I didn't want to fail or look stupid, but once it got started, everyone meshes together! You are all following the instructor, and it is so fun!

Just take that first step, and don't look back!!! Good Luck!
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose about 80pounds what type of workout will help you do this the best. A lot of cardio and some strength, equal amounts of both, or more strength than cardio. I've never tried to lose this much weight, but it's time to.

The best workout will be the one that you will be able to do consistently 4-6 times/week. Since you are just starting out and have a substantial amount of weight to lose, it's important that you find something you like, do it consistently and couple that with a sensible diet.

With that said, I would try strength training intervals or a program that combines 50% toward cardio and 50% toward strength training.

Also, keep in mind that although it is important that you exercise, your DIET is more important in successfully achieving your weight loss goals.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!