Keeping Active with a Desk Job?

Options
Good morning, MFP! I work in an office an spend most of my day sitting. I try to always take a short walk on my lunch, and try to take a walk to the water cooler at least every other hour, (which is up 3 flights of stairs.) I feel as if I could definitely be doing more to fit in small amounts of activity throughout the day. Does anyone have any ideas or advice?

Thanks!

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I too work a desk job. My office is upstairs and everything else is downstairs...so that's all I have going for me. Most of my activity is away from my job. I run 3-4 mornings a week at 5am and then I exercise right after work 3 days a week and weekends I do everything physical possible!!!!
  • Naruya8
    Naruya8 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It could be worse! Everything I need all day, including the bathroom, is within a few steps of my desk, so I can't really find an excuse to get up and move around. The only movement I get during the workday is a short walk at lunch.

I get all of my exercise outside of work: I bike to work so that's around 75-80 mins of exercise daily. Then when I get home I usually do another workout to really get my heart rate going of lift some weights. Then in the weekends and my wednesday off I usually go running.
  • bearr996
    bearr996 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Get it in when you can. I work a desk job, 10 hours a day. Luckily we have desks that lower and raise so we can stand up whenever we want and work. We've been known to bust out some air squats, push ups, sit ups, stretching etc during a work day. Sometimes it gets pretty entertaining with push up challenges.
  • caseylizbeth
    caseylizbeth Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I workout and I work. Two different things. Working a desk job has zero to do with anything.

I work out as well! But health experts are starting to say that even if you work out, sitting 6-8 hours a day can lead to all sorts of health risks. And that's added onto the hours you're sitting at home. So, I'm just looking for some options on small ways to be active through out the day!

Here's a link to an article on it!
  • zoritt
    zoritt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I work out after work. I do take bathroom breaks where I stretch my legs and walks during my lunch hour if the weather is acceptable. I use the stairs instead of elevators but that's about it.

Maybe you can invest in an adjustable standing desk or one of those under desk cycles?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I workout and I work. Two different things. Working a desk job has zero to do with anything.

I work out as well! But health experts are starting to say that even if you work out, sitting 6-8 hours a day can lead to all sorts of health risks. And that's added onto the hours you're sitting at home. So, I'm just looking for some options on small ways to be active through out the day!

Here's a link to an article on it!

stand at your desk
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,860 Member
    Options
    The usual ...

Walk or cycle as part of your commute.
    If you've got stairs, climb them on your breaks.
    Walk at lunch.
    Take the long way around the photocopier.
    Stand during the meetings.
    Exercise before or after work.

Regarding climbing stairs ... about 20 months ago I decided it would be a good idea to start climbing stairs. At that time I worked on the 5th floor of a 5 story building. By the time I got to the top of my first climb I probably looked like I needed medical attention. I felt like I was going to die. But I kept at it ... 5 flights, once a day. About 3 weeks later I added a 5-flight set when I returned to work after lunch. About 3 weeks later, I added another set in the middle of the day. It wasn't long before I was up to 25 flights of stairs a day.

Then we moved into an 11-story building and I started doing 30-40 flights a day.

I've backed off on the stairs just lately because I'm focusing on long distance cycling but am planning to start building back up again soon. :)
  • niallcavanagh
    niallcavanagh Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Try some third world squats to loosen your back up during the day. Add a few lunges and some burpees to get some cardio in.

[I kid you not - my auto correct swapped "burgers" for "burpees" above