Fun app if you like Zombies

Options
Just thought I'd share an app I just tried. It's Zombies, Run!
So fun and pretty motivating. A lot like using Run Keeper with a Zombie story line. It's free for both Androids and IPhones.
It uses your own music track with it's dialog. About 2 minutes of story for every 5 minutes of music. I'm hooked. I actually can't wait to take a walk again to hear the next chapter.
At least for me, I need all the motivation and entertainment I can get when I'm doing a walk/run.
They have story lines to help train for 5k's and 10k's also.

Feel free to let me know if you like it and/or if you have any other app ideas that help break the monotony.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've been using ZR since around 2012 or 2013. I love it. If you're interested, there's a closed Facebook group of active ZR users that is a wonderful, supportive community. I haven't seen one in here that has kept going for any length of time.
  • Fit_Therapy
    Fit_Therapy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'll check it out!
  • Lulaica
    Lulaica Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love ZR. I really get into my workouts with it. I'm a subscriber, so I can really customize my workouts. They also have an old 5k training app which I believe falls between seasons 1 & 2.
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yes. I love Zombies Run. Fab app and great for extra motivation
  • Naruya8
    Naruya8 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It's a great app! I used the 5K training app to learn to run, as before I wasn't even able to run for more than half a minute without being completely out of breath and having to walk again. At the end of the training program I was able to run a full 5K without walking, something I would have never thought possible for me.

I'm not that far with the main app because I've been unable to run the last couple of months due to medical issues, but I'm really looking forward to get back out there as everyone says the storyline in the main app is way better than the 5K training version.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yes tune in to radio Abel!
    Doing the virtual race next month, and looking forward to it.
  • Lulaica
    Lulaica Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »

Tell us how it goes. I'm hoping to be in shape to do a virtual race next spring (which should be halfway-ish to wedding date, so a mid-planning stress killer). I've been doing super short routines as warm-ups for strength training, but even with 20 minute mission runs, I get music plays. Just haven't done a lot of Radio Abel (when I was more active a few years back, I broke into season 2 of radio abel, and I am very fondly remembering the 'radio plays' they did).
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yep, I've been using it for a little while now and I'm in the FB group. There is also a group here on MFP, but it's very inactive.

ETA: The group was started earlier this year and doesn't have a lot of members yet, so that might explain the inactivity: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/113574-zombies-run
  • Naruya8
    Naruya8 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

I ran the spring virtual race this year, it was great! I really wanted to run this one too, but I'm too out of shape because of months of inactiveness. I'll also be on holiday till the end of October with a pretty hefty jetlag when I get back, so I'll be in no shape to run most likely. I am curious how it is though, so do let us know!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan too. I'm at episode 24 of the current season now and I'm already worrying about what I'm going to do when I get caught up...
  • SueInAz
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I'm a fan too. I'm at episode 24 of the current season now and I'm already worrying about what I'm going to do when I get caught up...

I'm a few episodes into Season 5 because I've been stretching out the missions to make them last. Instead of one mission per run I have the time set to maximum and with my shorter summer runs it takes me about 3 runs to get through a mission. I have a feeling I'll run out before they start releasing Season 6, though.
  • RhapsodyWinters
    RhapsodyWinters Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    So fun and pretty motivating. A lot like using Run Keeper with a Zombie story line. It's free for both Androids and IPhones.
    It uses your own music track with it's dialog. About 2 minutes of story for every 5 minutes of music. I'm hooked. I actually can't wait to take a walk again to hear the next chapter.
    At least for me, I need all the motivation and entertainment I can get when I'm doing a walk/run.

Feel free to let me know if you like it and/or if you have any other app ideas that help break the monotony.

I've never heard of this. Does it work if you're on a Treadmill/Elliptical, or only when you're running outside?
  • SueInAz
    Options

I've never heard of this. Does it work if you're on a Treadmill/Elliptical, or only when you're running outside?

It works on a treadmill, too. You can set it differently to track via GPS or not.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Lulaica wrote: »

Tell us how it goes. I'm hoping to be in shape to do a virtual race next spring (which should be halfway-ish to wedding date, so a mid-planning stress killer). I've been doing super short routines as warm-ups for strength training, but even with 20 minute mission runs, I get music plays. Just haven't done a lot of Radio Abel (when I was more active a few years back, I broke into season 2 of radio abel, and I am very fondly remembering the 'radio plays' they did).

I will update! Im on the 5k training program so i run like a snail. If I stay on track I will use approx 40 minutes :'( but its a start never the less