Gym and weights question

Options
Hi all! This week I am starting the strong lifts 5x5 program app. I will be beginning with a very low amount of weight. I was going to get a trainer to show me how but I feel ok after the how to videos to begin on my own.

Question: do I keep the equipment until all 5 sets are done? Or should I give someone else a turn and come back?
Sorry if this is an obvious question. Little things like this have held me back and with all the info at my fingertips that's a silly excuse for staying out of the weight room. Thanks!

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Do all five sets. Stay with your bar though. Be friendly and willing to let somebody work in with you if your gym doesn't have much equipment.
  • revengedoctor21
    Options
    Good Question. I would give somebody else a turn during your rest periods. Or try going when its not very busy
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    what @_incogNEATo_ said.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Do all five sets. Stay with your bar though. Be friendly and willing to let somebody work in with you if your gym doesn't have much equipment.

^^^ this. Stay with your bar, as the rest periods between each set are short. I tend to have a sip of water, stretch or just rest between each set. If you are starting with just a bar then people are less likely to want to work in, since this may mean loading the bar each time, and not worth it for them. They’ll usually ask how many sets you have remaining and make a decision on that. Don’t HOG the equipment though.

• leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I feel more confident after reading your replies. You've helped me on my way. Have a great day!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    This would be why I lift at 4:30 am. No one there to give a crap how long I am using the rack for OHP/Klokovs. ;)
  • bearr996
    bearr996 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is why I got out of the public gym scene. I'm not unracking 600 pounds from a bar so someone can curl in the squat rack. I know sometimes box gyms are all we got, so here's my take. Do your thing. If someone asks to work in, I'd ask what they're going to do. Hell they may have 12 sets of bench press (because no one does anything but bench press these days) and they may take the bar off to the other side of the gym for something. If they want the weights and bar, they should have gotten there sooner, sucks to suck.
  • cliftonmartland
    cliftonmartland Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i do a multi exercise circuit training session in my fitness regime which sort of goes like this, press ups, sit ups, twists with bar, weights, cv agility, working arms trunk and legs but because i am new i cant seem to find anything like it on the "exercise app" in here to work out the calories. Any ideas
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    This would be why I lift at 4:30 am. No one there to give a crap how long I am using the rack for OHP/Klokovs. ;)

My problem is there are two other guys who have the same idea.

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, stay with the equipment for whatever you're working on. Most others in the weight room "get it" That you have a set. If you do need to leave your bar or equipment leave something there. In either case. Do your work and keep it moving so other people can use that area.