22 day fix

Options
I have started the 22 day fix to boost my metabolism. Has anyone else tried this. I love it so far. I am never hungry and have lost at a slow pace but continual.
I drink lemon vinegar water first thing every morning.
Take coffee bean, coconut oil & B-12 supplements daily.
Normal meals are:
2 eggs with 2 bacon or Whey Protein shake with fresh fruit, chia seed, flax seed, almond milk.
1 portion meat/protein w/ all the vegetables you want or salad
1 portion meat/protein w/all the vegetables you want or salad
drink- lemon water.
No snacks in between meals.
Walk 15 minutes 5 days a week
Detox soak- 5x week- Epson salt in very warm water (makes you sweat)

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Have they added a day?

But seriously, it's not going to boost your metabolism, but if you enjoy how you're eating keep it up.

Also, your bath is probably good for the muscles but won't detox anything.

I have not tried that approach, but I eat somewhat similarly. I make meat and protein the focus of my meals, and dinner is usually a vegetable and a roll/starch of some kind. Although I add in small snacks because I get hungry often.

I've never tried lemon vinegar water and I really try to limit extraneous supplements because they add up. I only buy protein shakes because I skip breakfast, which makes it a little more difficult to hit my protein goal for the day. And it's a quick morning snack.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Here's a link to the 21 Day Fix group here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/103806-21-day-fixers

@auddii is correct 21 day fix will not "boost" your metabolism. Detox - soaking or eating is not a thing. That's just woo.

21 Day Fix is (instead) uses very expensive tupperware to help with portion control. It's diet is well rounded, includes fruits, veggies, fat, protien. That's the good. But the program is rather inflexible. It doesn't help you with portion sizes for "regular" food. I can work a treat in every day & still lose weight. My maintenance will include treats, so I'm learning portion control for ALL foods (not just diet ones). A digital scale & measuring cups are all you need.

Drink lemon water if you like it, but that has no special weight loss properties either.

BTW - for anyone interested in this plan all the container sizes are on Pinterest. No reason to spend a fortune on the containers unless you like the workouts. There are actually much cheaper copy-cat "sets" on Amazon too.
  • rheabb0325
    rheabb0325 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I did not buy anything. My friend had 2 books. 1 was recipes and the other was explain everything. The portions were meat ( size of your palm or deck of cards) vegetables- all you want
    My husband usually takes left overs from supper to work for lunch the next day (makes it easy)
    My friend suggested the supplements & vinegar water- not in the books
    The bath is very relaxing
    Working for me & my husband so far.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Why would you take a B12 supplement? Are you strongly deficient? I am guessing, from how you posted you eat, you are eating enough meat to meet your 2.4 mcg of B12 daily.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Do you like the taste of vinegar water? There are no magical qualities in it as well as the supplements. Nothing magical about coffee bean, coconut oil and b12
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Is this supposed to be "a real thing" the same way the 21 day fix is a "real thing"? Or a typing error? Or a joke?

To lose weight and gain health, none of these steps are necessary. Indeed, eating less than usual can be a challenge in itself, no need to making it harder than it has to be.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    rheabb0325 wrote: »
    I did not buy anything. My friend had 2 books. 1 was recipes and the other was explain everything. The portions were meat ( size of your palm or deck of cards) vegetables- all you want
    My husband usually takes left overs from supper to work for lunch the next day (makes it easy)

Okay - different from 21 Day Fix (sounds like one diet ripped off the others name).

You are eating fewer calories than your body burns every day. That's the part that's working. Not the bath, not the vinegar, and not the supplements. Whether you eat twinkies and cheetos or drink lemon water and eat veggies, the weight loss results are the same if the total calories are the same.

Your food choices are about nutrition, health, and consistently sticking to a deficit. Eating fewer processed foods helps many people stick to a deficit (more filling) and whole foods generally have more nutrients too.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    rheabb0325 wrote: »

Congrats on your success so far! It seems reasonably healthy. Are you logging by chance? Because if it were me, eventually I'd be looking to add in a few things, and having a calorie history would be helpful.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Again congrats on the success, but I would at least think about supplements your friend recommended (hopefully just a recommendation and not that she's selling them to you). If you aren't deficient, your body does not process excess nutrients. Well it does, it just filters them out and you excrete them. So, you end up with very expensive urine. And, your liver and kidneys get to work harder to process the supplements.

And supplements aren't regulated by the FDA, so there's no guarantee that they contain what they say or that they are in any way effect.

/End supp rant. Sorry, it's a pet peeve. Good luck to you and your husband! Portion control has really helped me (although personally I use a food scale), and is definitely a great start to weight loss.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    The meat and vegetables along with the apple cider vinegar look almost identical to what I already do now. I don't do it to boost my metabolism but I do find that my hunger has been reduced to an unbelievable end. I find that it gets hard to eat because I am just not hungry much. That's not to say I don't get hungry at all mind you, but during the day I really just have to set a reminder to eat. Sometimes my appetite returns late, like around bed time or in the middle of the night. So some of my eating just happens at an odd hour.

A word on the vinegar. I take one tablespoon 2 times a day. I usually put this into a shot of juice, sometimes water. I began using this as a means to combat what I am certain were gall stones. My attempts at getting my doctor to take my complaints about potential fatty liver and gall stones were fruitless. So I do not have a medical diagnosis, and I cannot afford to go doctor hopping looking for a doctor who believes they should use their ears twice as often as they use their mouth. So anyhoo, after maintaining the apple cider vinegar regimen since January I rarely have any gall bladder pain, and the bulge under my rib cage has reduced considerably.

Anyhoo. There's my ramble. I eat 3-4 times a day with snacks as needed to meet my current dietary standards. These meals usually are some meat or other protein in a reasonable portion, some healthy amount of fat, and 2-3 servings of vegetables. I work in snacks as much as I can remember so that I am consuming enough.

• rheabb0325
    Options
    It is actually new you in 22
  • rheabb0325
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yeah... no. No such thing as "boosting your metabolism". All you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight. The rest is just WOO.