Macronutrients, what's the best ratio for weight loss?

Options
Hi there. I have been doing a little research into macronutrients and lifestyle changes that center around "paying attention to your macros." By using this app, I have identified the calories I can consume to begin weight loss, and have used that to calculate the amount of grams of fat, protein, and carbs based upon the ratios I distribute them.

I guess my biggest question is, what is the best ratio for weight loss?

For the last week I have played around with the percentages of each category, and made sure at the very least that I didn't go over my calories for each day, but it seems like i cannot meet the fat or protein ratio goal, unlike the carb goal.

What if I am doing this all wrong??
Any advice?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Don't overthink things. Weight loss is about creating a calorie deficit. How you get there is up to you.

The best macros for weight loss are the ones that keep you satiated and work with your way of eating. Pick something and try it for a while and adjust if needed.

MFP's default of 50c/20p/30f has worked well for me. Some like a bit more protein and use the Zone ratio of 40c/30p/30f.

US government's Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range:

Carbs - 45-65%
    Fat - 20-35%
    Protein - 10-35%
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Within sensible limits there is not a best macro ratio for weight loss. But, many people, either intuitively or by experiment, arrive at a ratio which works for them. Be that HFLC, HCLF or whatever.

Often people who have an established macro ratio that works for them, find that sticking to it helps with compliance. So, a HCLF person may find it difficult to get the carbs they "need" (are use to and happy with) without blowing their calories, if they ate a high fat lunch.

My advice is don't worry about it too much. Eat the foods you enjoy (within your calories) and keep and eye on how your macros naturally pan out over a few weeks. You may then feel it's best to tweak your MFP macros to reflect your normal eating style and then will be able to use it to see where you drift from this normal pattern.

Note: I suspect that during TOTM or other points of their monthly cycle many women see a disruption in their desire for certain macros (I know MrsStealthHealth craves carbs the week before her period) - It is also pretty common for men or women to crave more carbohydrate when stressed or tired - these are things to be mindful of.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    njllz5rmlzwx.png
    This is before dinner I'm almost perfect -LOL___ 133, 133, 132
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    BackwoodsDarlin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm using 40% Protein, 25% Carbs, 35% Fat
    I'm diabetic, so this ratio is really helping to control my blood sugar and decrease insulin dosages, but still keep me eating healthy and on track, so says my doctor as well

So I really think it depends upon your health situation as well as your goals
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    There is no best ratio all that is needed is a caloric deficit. Ratios ppl use are based on needs. Some may do low carb bc of health issues some may do low fat bc of health issues. If no health issues its a science project. Teak it til u get it right.

.8-1.2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. protein = 4 calories per gram
    .4 grams of fat per lb fat = 9 calories per gram
    FILL THE REST OF YOU CALORIES IN WITH CARBS carbs = 4 calories per gram

I cut at 1750 calories 150p/130c/70f
    Protein =600
    Carbs =520
    Fat = 630

Calories = 1750

I'm bulking now in 1 week 2130 calories 160p/215c/70f

Protein = 640
    Carbs = 860
    Fat = 630

Calories = 2130

Hope this helps, it is a simple mathematical equation. There are no special macros that aid in fat loss. Prioritize protein in fat loss prioritize carbs in a bulk.

That's it

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Whatever makes it easiest for you to comply with your diet and have a nutritious and delicious diet.
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    30 30 30 (throw the extra wherever you want) is a good starting point then play with it however you like. I lose well on this ratio. With fat and protein my two higher. We are all different. Try to do a higher carb when doing lots of cardio and protein on weight days.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Don't overthink things. Weight loss is about creating a calorie deficit. How you get there is up to you.

The best macros for weight loss are the ones that keep you satiated and work with your way of eating. Pick something and try it for a while and adjust if needed.

MFP's default of 50c/20p/30f has worked well for me. Some like a bit more protein and use the Zone ratio of 40c/30p/30f.

US government's Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range:

Carbs - 45-65%
    Fat - 20-35%
    Protein - 10-35%

This. Calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight. You can try all the fad diets you want, but in the end if you really looked at them (low carb/etc.) you'll find it's the calorie deficit that does the trick. Your macros are for your health, so keep those percentages as recommended if possible, I tend to lean for more protein than carbs/fat (up to 1.1g/lb of body weight), but I'm trying to build muscle. Too little protein and you will burn muscle, too little fat, and your libido can suffer or your body may start storing fat. Too few carbs and you'll have no energy. So stay within your calorie goals and let the calculators adjust your macros for you. MFP makes that easy.