Serial re-starters (like me!) - share a tip that's helped you stick with it!

Options
Let's motivate each other!

Replies

• cvstokke
    cvstokke Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    @amyepdx i like that!
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've fallen off the wagon a few times but I don't see it as starting over, I see it as part of the weight loss process. Accepting that life is full of blips and you can't always stick to the plan has helped a lot.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Get plenty of sleep!
  • monicaw44
    monicaw44 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Im restarting again, and Im doing what I did the last time (2015, 30 pounds) when I lost weight, with one change..Im not not eating sweets and potato chips every now and then bc I will gorge and binge for months ( like I did last time) bc I felt like I was missing something (and I was bc in life you need happy, sweet things for the soul). I ate cakes, candy bars, and a lot of other junk food bc I hadnt eaten them for months. some call it cheat days and cheat meals.
  • cvstokke
    Options
    @monicaw44 i think that's a big factor for me - i need to let myself indulge in my favorite foods occasionally in moderation rather than trying to cut them out forever.

@beginforthelasttime16 i like the suggestions about challenges - thank you!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ha! I responded before reading the thread. @monicaw44 - I'm right there with you. :)
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Don't think of "this" as a temporary, finite "thing" ... consider it a permanent philosophical change in how you conduct your life.. that is "diet" is not something you do to lose weight... it isn't something you do to temporarily alter your eating habits... it is something you do to fuel the machine... and exercise is something you do to ensure the machine is operating the way it was designed to do... this 'thing" we call a body... is an instrument by which we navigate this world... as a mammal, there are some expectations that we forage, hunt, prepare our sustenance.. until the "modern" age this meant we engaged in physical labour virtually our entire waking hours.. BUT urbanization has "stolen" that process from us... So... we have lost sight of the need for that physical activity... once again from a philosophical perspective... begin to emulate the activity levels of your grandparents and your great grandparents and oyu won't ever "quit"
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am a diabetic. To stay on my WOE, all I have to do is visualize a picture of a gangrenous foot I saw on the internet.
  • TooTatToTrot
    TooTatToTrot Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I tried this in 2011-fell off more times than can count. I restarted in February at 260 and im now at 175.4, trying to get to 125.

I think my biggest advice is to realize that this is a lifestyle change. Before, it was just a diet to me. Now, this is just how I eat.
    Its all about finding your happy place and staying there.
  • cvstokke
    Options
    @JustSomeEm great minds think alike

• mparker87
    mparker87 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Log in here every day. It will show you how many days in a row you've done it. I'm on a 221 day streak and I do not want to break it. That has kept me aware of what I'm eating (even on days I go over) and how active I am every single day for the last 221 days!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I have no problems with weightloss but I do have issues with yo-yo-ing. After accomplishing a goal in terms of fitness I tend to focus on some other aspect of my life like my career and shift my focus. After a couple years of that I notice...hey, I'm kind of overweight agian and I come back. I mean it sort of works, I spend 6 months losing weight and I get 2 years of not paying attention but I'd rather just stay at a healthy weight.

I feel I know how to do that, it just doesn't work out in practice. In theory I should transition into mainteance for a while at the end while still logging and make sure I get a "feel" for that for several months then maybe slowly ease off the logging. Or maybe I should just keep logging, I don't know.