Why is water so good for weight loss?

Options
I know drinking water is really good for you, and I do drink quite a lot, but I'm not sure the whole science/reasoning behind it. I've tried looking online and nothing that I have found really go to much in depth, does anyone have any good sites that explain this?

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    Water doesn't really help you lose weight. It is good for you because it hydrates your body. It can also help you to feel fuller so you don't eat as much and it could help if you drink water to replace a snack that you aren't really hungry for but are just eating because you are bored.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There is more to health and wellness than weight loss...water is good for hydration...being hydrated is healthy and helps your body function optimally...it doesn't really have anything to do with weight loss...not everything is about weight loss...weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight is just one tiny component of overall health and wellness.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    For weight loss, it's because it's a 0 calorie beverage, so it doesn't affect your calorie intake.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Because it has no calories or sodium and fluid pushes fluid. Oh and it's hydrating.
  • kelhea
    kelhea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Sorry I probably should have word it better, I mean about water retention?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Many metabolic processes need water to happen, some of which are responsible for burning fat. It's easier for your body to perform its basic functions if you provide it adequate water.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    It helps to offset water retention caused by sodium. This just means that the scale doesn't fluctuate as much if you're consistently hydrated.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    But it really doesn't affect weight loss.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Because it has no calories or sodium and fluid pushes fluid. Oh and it's hydrating.

Unless you're drinking triple distilled or reverse osmosis water, there's sodium in your water This is actually a good thing.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    When losing weight, you'll normally be eating less, and food contains water, so drinking more water may be needed to replace the water not taken in by food.

Just to supplement all the fine answers above.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »

Unless you're drinking triple distilled or reverse osmosis water, there's sodium in your water This is actually a good thing.

I was going to say this. Yup sodium in water.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Its about keeping your body hydrated so that it is healthy and performs all it natural functions. AND if you want 0 calorie beverages this can help with weight loss..

And for water retention, drinking water will help you shed water. But you can do this with any beverage and even foods that contain water.

Drinking too much can also be counter productive, depleting necessary electrolytes from the body as well.
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Its about keeping your body hydrated so that it is healthy and performs all it natural functions. AND if you want 0 calorie beverages this can help with weight loss..

And for water retention, drinking water will help you shed water. But you can do this with any beverage and even foods that contain water.

Drinking too much can also be counter productive, depleting necessary electrolytes from the body as well.

The bold is very true. So it is a fine line. I try to keep my water intake between 64-125oz. The 125oz days are the days when I'm going to spin and I need to be nicely hydrated before class and I need to replace the water that I loss through sweating.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

What about water that's not from the tap, like seltzer bottles you buy in the grocery store? Im asking because those say there's no sodium.
  • jdhcm2006
    Options

What about water that's not from the tap, like seltzer bottles you buy in the grocery store? Im asking because those say there's no sodium.

I'm making a guess here, but I think the sodium is removed from those due to the processing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    kelhea wrote: »
    Sorry I probably should have word it better, I mean about water retention?

dehydration causes water retention...hydration minimizes water retention and flushes the system out.

That said, our bodies are made up of anywhere from 50% - 65% water and that's always in flux...so you're always going to have weight fluctuations due to water retention and release to some degree...you really shouldn't concern yourself with that...it's irrelevant to actually losing fat.
  • bexilashious
    bexilashious Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    No calories
    Keeps you hydrated
    Makes you feel fuller
    Flushes out toxins
    Helps flush retained water
    Improves your skin
    Wakes up your organs (in the morning)
    Helps improve metabolism

X
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    OK, I have a different take on why to drink water. 1) drinking 64oz of water helps to get rid of toxins in the body when you eliminate, even excess fat stored. 2) drinking water also helps reduce blood sugar glucose levels helps it to remain normal. 3) The diet foods you find in a box in the frozen food section of the food market contains a lot of sodium as a preservative. Water helps get rid of some of that sodium that might build up in your body. Remember you can't just overdo your sodium intake and then hope that by drinking water this will eliminate the excess sodium. Water helps the skin, sort of keeps it from drying out, I think older people (70+ years of age) tend to drink less water and you can see their skin drying out.The only down side is that if you can drink 64 oz of water daily you will need access to the bathroom.
  • jarablue
    jarablue Posts: 127 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    So when it's flushing retained water, retained water is weight correct? So it's flushing weight? If I don't drink water, that weight will be on me right? That is why I like drinking it. No temporary water weight or as much in my body. Will drinking diet soda like mad have the same effect? I would imagine the chemicals in diet soda retain water to some degree, no? And the metabolism thing. Water speeds up metabolism which burns weight. So it flushes (day to day temp water) weight and speeds up burning weight. Yes to water please.