Anyone want to be friends with a person, not a robot?

Hello,

I'm looking for people who want to actually talk and interact and build relationships and motivate each other and make friends and fall in love and get married and have a family and fall out and resent each other and stay together for the kids and get divorced when the kids leave home and have a mid life crisis and buy a sports car and get a tattoo of a horse.

So, I've turned off the auto updates from MFP so instead of you getting messages saying

"Steve has logged in for 3 days"
"Steve burned 300 calories walking"
"Steve has eaten a banana"
"Steve said hello to Barry"
"Steve is sitting down"

you'll get gems like...
"Weight loss is hard, I went for a walk in the woods with the dog this morning, he sniffed a tree, here's a picture"

Right, so I'm not saying they'll be good posts, but I'm saying they'll be from an actual person who has actually thought about it.

I'm looking for people willing to take the brave step of turning off auto alerts and investing the time in actually writing an update now and then and getting to know other people.

I've managed to become part of community of friends who are friends of each other too and I find it really motivating.

If you'd like to join me/us feel free to send me a friend request or comment on here.

If you'd like to turn off some of the auto messages simply go to "Settings" and then "automatic news feed updates" and then uncheck a box or two.

Replies

• zoritt
    zoritt Posts: 68 Member
    Hi Steve ...thanks for sharing on how to turn off those auto updates. I usually ignored them but this way is much better

I am on daily and am a newbie. Please feel free to add me!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    I don't know - this robot would probably be good to have as a friend.

love-bot.jpg
  • sutibo
    sutibo Posts: 71 Member
    zoritt wrote: »
    Hi Steve ...thanks for sharing on how to turn off those auto updates. I usually ignored them but this way is much better

The problem I have is the posts people actually write, conversations they start, get lost in the sea of "xxx logged in for 7 days" which seems a shame to me.

So I refuse to be part of it (I'm stamping my foot as I say this).
  • lilsteig
    lilsteig Posts: 17 Member
    That escalated quickly! Lol!

I'm in, add me!
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    edited September 2016
    I have maybe 18 friends on here, and at least half write about life. We share pictures of scenery where we walk, snap of the gym where we work out, and stuff. We talk about kids and Klondike bars and our houses in Louisiana flooding and just trying to get through the day. When I think about it, we are boring - and I love my friends on here for that. This alone motivates me to be on here. Add me if you want to hear about this kind of boring stuff ;)
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Feel free to add me! I'm no robot. You'll see me talking mostly in the evenings!
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    I attempting to be less of a robot.... While attempting to get back on my A game. :) New friends may help too.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Will there be noodz?
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    I know what you mean about things getting lost in the noise of automatic updates! Sometimes I've missed shorter personal posts from my friends because I'm scrolling through the sea of generic stuff clicking a 'like' here and there and trying to spot the hand-written ones. :)

Feel free to add me to your list if you'd like! I turned off a lot of my updates ages ago - I think the login and weight loss ones are all I have left now, and I've been considering turning off the login. Sometimes I'm quiet for a few days, other times I might post weird random stuff or long-winded ramblings. :)

Sue has replied to Steve's thread.

;)
  • N0703989
    N0703989 Posts: 97 Member
    Haha you made me smile. I turned my auto updates off years ago. My favourite was ... has lost 1.8lbs Everyone cheers but this is the same 1.8 gained and lost three times!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Will there be noodz?

Nude robots?

z9UNc8s.gif

OP, welcome!
  • st_da_ma
    st_da_ma Posts: 8 Member
    I am definitely in. Today is day 1 and have a tint goal of 219 pounds lost, so real people posting real things and mixing it up sounds groovy. Shoot me an invite! Or whatever the less robot way to add someone is ;).
  • xsunshine02x
    xsunshine02x Posts: 34 Member
    You guys had me when the conversation got to nude robots. Add me!
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    LMBO. Very funny post. To Steve (is your name Steve?) and everyone, please feel free to add me!
  • tward5836
    tward5836 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm new to all of this,have no idea how to add people
  • chassp8pooh
    chassp8pooh Posts: 131 Member
    I talk a little too much. Get to know people off the app with Facebook and instagram. I ask for advice and *kitten* and moan and complain. I still have a few auto updates but...believe me when I say I'm talker. Add if you like,all of you!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member

nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Will there be noodz?

Nude robots?

z9UNc8s.gif

OP, welcome!

83a4991e31b1b8bdeaf2ddf10cec3d4b.jpg
  • JayMportillo
    JayMportillo Posts: 20 Member
    How do you turn off the auto updates?