Motivating friends

Options
Hi! I'm currently trying to lose about 10 more lbs. I'm healthy & active. I'm just finding it more difficult to WANT to go to the gym after work all day. Some new friends with positive motivation would be very helpful for that extra push! Most of my friends aren't into the healthy eating & working out so I figured I'd try here :)

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I was in the exact same situation as you! I currently have about 10lbs to lose but I was tired of the whole 'gym scene'. I just felt dis-interested yet still wanted to be active else I feel heavy and bloated. Then I discovered dance! I started going to Zumba classes and I then bought Shaun T's "CIZE" dvd programme - which I can do at home. I love it. Beats running on a treadmill every day. So my advice would be, find that one exercise you really enjoy doing and stick with it! :) Mix it around and don't be afraid to try new things!
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi! Are you ever able to go to the gym before work? I have a really hard time going in the late afternoon/evening, especially after a full day. I get up a lot earlier now, but it's been working so much better to get it in first thing, before I have time to think about it or change my mind. And then I seem to feel ready for the day ahead (most days!).
  • kristenlovesya
    kristenlovesya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had to switch up my workouts to before work. The catch is you have to go to bed the same time as senior citizens. Plus side is the gym is almost always empty!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I used to work out at night too but then found it hard to go all the time (I was tired, I stayed at work 30 minutes later, I had to clean, ect ect) so I switched my workouts to 5am. Like the above people said, it does suck waking up that early but then I have the evenings to spend with my husband. The only time I go after work is if I have a Zumba class or Yoga class but at the end of the day, I'm itching to workout since my body is so used to doing it before hand.

To get myself to go work out at first (for both before work as well as after) I put alerts in my calendar-the way I figured it, my phone would tell me I had to do something so I had to do it! It helped get me into the habit of wanting to go. That and knowing I'll feel great after helps :)
  • aleshaschleicher
    aleshaschleicher Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hey there, ladies!!!
  • sammatthews18
    sammatthews18 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just finished telling my boyfriend that I'm going to try & go in the morning. I'm typically not a morning person but I'll give it a go. I'm just worried I'll be so sleepy and out of it to do my normal heavy lifts. Thank you all for the responses, I'm really hoping I can pull myself out of bed to go to the gym :)
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Give it a try @sammatthews18! I lay out my workout outfit, water, keys, everything the night before so I don't even have to think about it in the morning. I can't say I ever "feel" like going, but it's become enough of a habit that I do my best just to get myself there. Because once I'm there, I'm there. And once I'm there, I figure I'm there anyways, I might as well do something to get better.

These days I take an early am fitness class that you have to sign up for ahead of time or else it has a waitlist. They charge you if you don't show up, so I never cancel. That accountability helps me a lot. There are sooo many mornings I would have just totally gone back to sleep otherwise. It's dark, it's cold, it's raining, I'm tired. But once I'm there I feel good and once I leave, I feel great.

It's been enough reinforcement to remember the reward of going, that even if there wasn't a cancel charge, I think I could still make myself go at this point, if that makes sense. If you get in a good routine with it, it may turn into something you enjoy doing first thing. It kind of sets my tone for the day and makes me feel ready to attack the day and what's ahead.