• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    hallucinogens
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    PowerMan40 wrote: »
    Drowning in the Pacific ocean in a rip tide, while saving my 10 year old son, who got sucked out passed the breakers on his surf board, my body and limbs going numb from the cold water, and my head dipping below the water level, everything going black, and waking up on the beach with lifeguards and Ems all around me, hearing my kids yelling at me, not to die, and their weeping, couffing and throwing up sea water, on the beach.

You tend not to take any day your alive for granted after that point, and try to live you life to the fullest you can.

holy crap that certainly would be life altering
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Having children. This changed me by teaching me to think outside of what *I* want/need and to focus on another individual's priorities, for once in my life.

Getting divorced. I learned to be a better listener, to communicate with care, and that the grass is most decidedly not greener on the other side.
  • Geeky_and_Cheeky
    Geeky_and_Cheeky Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    *Both my parents passing from drug overdosing.
    *Going into foster care
    *birth of each of my 2 kids
    *divorce
  • spells1977
    spells1977 Posts: 146 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Living through various eating disorders
    Living through anxiety and panic attacks
    Coming out finally at the age of 37 and meeting my amazing girlfriend
    Realising that all my past health issues and stress related to me being in the closet
    Losing weight and finally being more confident all round - no longer scared of my own shadow!
    Adopting my beautiful baby girl. She is the most amazing thing that has happened to me and changed my life for the better :)
  • jtegirl
    jtegirl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Becoming a mother
    Divorce
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My real father dying two years ago
    My best friend dying of cancer last year
    My baby granddaughter being born 7 years ago
    My real mother apologizing
    My kids growing up and moving out
    Quitting smoking
    A child I love was molested, I trust no one now.
    Losing 80 lbs

• Pterod
    Pterod Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The responses here are humbling.
  • PhedraJD
    PhedraJD Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Finding out my husband/best friend had sexually abused my daughter. Making the call to the cops, spending 2 years being treated like a criminal. Not too long after this, making the decision to have my daughter live with my mom for her own well being. Now finally having her living at home again. Realizing how freaking strong you really can be, and making the decision to not let this control my whole life with mistrust and hatred.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Many years ago, when Russia first opened up, we adopted a child from a rural area in the south of Russia near Turkey. I had never been out of the USA before. We spent a week in Moscow and a week in southern Russia where few westerners and fewer Americans had gone. I'll never forget the scary, the sad and the heroic things I saw during my two short weeks in Russia.
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Watching my father die and his death changed me in ways I never thought possible.
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Wow! Just came upon this thread from awhile back. I'm amazed at what some of you have experienced and endured in your lives, as well as the resilience of getting through those times. Life is rarely easy, but it is wonderful and to be savored as much as possible!
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I jumped ship in Hong Kong and I made my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock.

So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-lagunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    When they reintroduced the McRib and just as suddenly took it away.

There's a metaphor somewhere buried in all of that bbq sauce.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I am not who I was.

Lots of deaths, self-perpetuated issues, bad drug deals, being shot at and knifes pulled, being reborn to be a light, my kids births, and becoming the person I was always meant to be.

The every day struggle and seeing people as they are and not who I want them to be...and loving them for it.
  • DaddyDunk91
    DaddyDunk91 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Being bullied from primary school to high school
    Seeing my father pass away 5 years ago.
    Watching my now fiancee give birth to our son.
  • _thisnameischosen_
    _thisnameischosen_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Becoming a mother.