Does Running ever get easier??

Options
2»

Replies

• DennyHodge
    DennyHodge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It will get easier, and consistency is the best way to make it easier, faster. The run/walk is just fine. I know a lot of people that use that technique to increase their time/mileage. Keep going!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes it does get easier! I hated running when I started and now I LOVE it. I wasn't able to run 30 seconds and thought I would never be able to. Just recently I did a 5km under 30 minutes...and that's pretty impressive for a girl that started running in her 40's!! My first 5km time was 45min, that was last year! My best advice to you is don't do too much too fast. Just keep doing the walk/run intervals and SLOWLY increase your running time. Keep going you are are doing AWESOME!!!!! I kept registering for 5km races and that would motivate me to train for it. Now I am training for a 10km!!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    In order to run faster, you have to run faster (shorter distances at a faster than comfortable pace - sprints, Fartleks, etc)

I'd generally advise a new runner to avoid any speedwork until they can comfortably run for an hour at a time. For someone who's right at the beginning of the process that would be more likely to lead to injury than anything else.

Agreed. I wouldn't even bother with speed work for the first year. Keep everything slow and easy. You will get faster as your runs get longer.

For the OPs question does it get easier, yes and no. Yes it gets easier to run for a long time without getting out of breath. You will eventually be able to get in a zone and just keep running. I also say no because if you like a challenge, you can always find one with running. You can keep pushing yourself past your comfort zone (which is of course fun :wink: ).
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    FWIW I have found that my running has improved since beginning SL5x5. I seem to be better at coping with hills. I'm not saying that I'm running faster - though I possibly am - but the effects of strengthening the body has made me better in areas that I hadn't previously thought needed it.

Stick at running, it's great fun and a fine way to experience the outdoors!

this is great to know - I'm about to start SL 5x5 as the mornings get darker and I don't much want to run alone in the dark so will be scaling back my running.

My arms and shoulders were really aching this week - all I did was a 10k race on Sunday, so I can only assume I used my arms far more than people might think in running (I do try and pump with the arms) so strengthening the rest of my body should hopefully make me a better runner.

SL5x5 definitely improved my running as well. I hardly even notice hills anymore!
  • m98widow
    m98widow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have used C25K and Zombies Run C25K and prefer C25K. I find the ramp-up way too quick on Zombies and I didn't like the free run portion because I needed more structure. However, I do like the Zombies, Run idea in general so I usually start out with C25K and then switch over to the regular Zombies, Run app when I hit the 20, 25, 30 minute runs.

If you do C25K, remember to run slower than you think you should and that it's totally fine to repeat a day or a week if you need to.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've been running lately, but it's SO hard. I can maybe run for 3 mins then I have to walk then start running again, and so forth.

For one, slow down...most people make the mistake of going too fast too soon...you're going to be slow...deal with it.

For second, I would recommend following a program like C25K that will start you off slow and having your jogging and walking in intervals and progressively working your way up to a full 5K run/jog. Most people, including myself are still pretty slow, but able to complete a 5K...speed will come with time...lots of time. Gaining fitness isn't an overnight phenomenon.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner until I started running six days a week and felt myself getting stronger each week. I really like the feeling and now try to find hills to run up.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yes and yes!! I was never a runner. I literally could not run 3 minutes continuously last Feb of 2015. Last April 2015 I ran my first 5k in 36 minutes. Now I do HIIT intervals 3-4 days a week and these days I can run a 7 minute mile. (Well, for one mile anyways.) ;) And did my last 5k in under 24 minutes. I never would have thought that was doable. The biggest thing is not trying to quickly improve speed, distance, duration all at the same time. You want to push yourself and get uncomfortable while still doing it safely. HIIT greatly improved my overall endurance and conditioning.

When I was first starting out, I would run a minute, walk a minute, run a minute, walk a minute. Or then run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute, run 3, walk 1. I did not worry about speed at all then. You will build up over time. Then I started doing HIIT and sprints and recoveries and that helped so much too. As well as building muscle to help power my entire body. Have fun with it! I never thought I could actually like running and I wouldn't say I loooove running, but I do like a comfortable pace for enjoyment and to move my body, or just as a way to challenge myself physically, stay engaged in the process, and meet new goals.
  • hillaryjess
    hillaryjess Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Short answer-yes. You'll have great days and you'll have really rough days, too. I wasn't much of a runner until I did the cardio cinema option at my gym. Distracting your mind is good to build your endurance at first. Further, I found a show I liked and only watched it if I was on the treadmill--no exceptions. I started then to look forward not only to binging on my show but running as well. Now I have a spaceship of a treadmill in my home and my own little streaming setup to do whenever I want. It's amazing.
    I'd also suggest you set a goal (say a 5K in 8 weeks) and find a plan that helps you work toward that goal. Maybe that's the C25K that I hear so many people see success with. I went with a plan on the Women's Running Magazine site. Find something you like, and do what you love! Good luck!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yes it gets easier.. OP I don't think I was able to even run 3 minutes when I started.. I just turned 48 last week, and I only started distance running two years prior.. So if you truly enjoy running, and this is something you will enjoy doing for however long you love this, keep practicing, make mini goals, take your time. Build up fitness and strength slowly. Perhaps build up any weakness you have your legs, glutes, calves with some strength training and incorporate some cross training..
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    @divcara under 24 minutes...that's awesome. My last 5km was 29minutes, hoping to beat that in my next race in November!!
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thanks @Joanna2012B! That's awesome!! It's always so good to have a new goal to aim for. I still have not been able to break 2 miles in 15 minutes. I hit 15:12, but haven't been able to beat it - yet. I know I'm not exactly going to win any races, but I like always setting a new little goal in my head to work toward. Even if I don't make it, I know I get better by trying. Good luck, you can do it!!

It's always a neat feeling to do something you couldn't do a year or a month or a week ago. My first 5k over a year ago, I was just happy to "run" the whole thing without stopping, I didn't even care about time. It was the first time I had ever ran further than a mile. The two guys who were kind of always just ahead or just behind me were doing more of a run a little, walk a little pace...I "ran" it at quite a slow pace, but without walking at all..and we all finished right at the same time. ;)
  • chromekodi
    chromekodi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I tried running before and it's not for me. I'm in decent shape and can run at least a mile before stopping, but then I feel terrible the next day. So I usually don't try it again for a while
  • beginforthelasttime16
    Options
    I've had this same thought! You are not alone lol
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    FWIW I have found that my running has improved since beginning SL5x5. I seem to be better at coping with hills. I'm not saying that I'm running faster - though I possibly am - but the effects of strengthening the body has made me better in areas that I hadn't previously thought needed it.

Stick at running, it's great fun and a fine way to experience the outdoors!

I saw the same improvement, though I did New Rules of Lifting for Women. I used to run a 9:40-10 min pace, now I can do 4 miles with an average 8:07-8:20 pace (my longer runs are still a bit slower, maybe 8:45-9 min/mile). Major speed improvements while actually running a bit less.

But starting out--I always added another 30 seconds to my run, until I could do 30 minutes. Then I'd run for distance.
  • gglockner
    gglockner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check that you're not running too hard. You should be able to carry a conversation while running. Anything faster than that is a sprint, which is not for longer distances.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Yes, but training the rest of your body helps. I've tried running previously and was happy when I could finally run through a whole song and walk for a song. Last year, I got into fitness by doing P90X3. After 2 months, I tried running. I was able to go 3 miles non stop running without walking on my 1st run. I've never been able to do that before...never ever!! Lol! My thoughts are that the P90X3 made my body strong enough to handle it. Now, I'm not saying you should do P90X, but if you aren't doing so already, building your overall body strength: core, legs, glutes, and arms will help make running easier. I do strength training 3 to 4 days per week and run 5 days a week. Yoga also helps with soreness.

Just keep challenging yourself and set goals to gradually increase your distance. Once you've got your distance goals met, you can work on improving your pace.

Have fun, and a good running playlist helps. I also enjoy trail running too.