Struggling to believe I can do this

Options
I have been overweight since a teenager. My heaviest weight ever was ten days ago at 27st 8lbs. Ten days in and I weight 26st 13lbs but my ultimate goal is to get below 17 stone so
I can try for a baby again. I've lost weight before and succeeded but never getting below 19 stone and part of me feels like I'm destined to always be this big. I don't look in the mirror or ever have my photo taken I hate it. I'm following mfp and going to the gym and walking on the treadmill for 35 minutes 4 times a week. I'm. not concerning myself at the moment with macros and whether my diet is too high fat or high carb etc just simply do calories in versus calories out. I would love to get to my first goal of below 17 stone before I turn 40 next August so I can then start trying. I guess I just need to know it will happen if I can just stick to it and stay focused. Ten stone is such a mountain to climb and I feel so old in my body everything hurts particularly my knees and ankles. I wish I could fast forward to 6 months down the line when I've lost a good few stone already. I'm just sat here in tears wondering if I will ever know what it feels like to be truly slim.

Replies

• Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    you can do this. In the beginning I just concentrated on logging everyday.
  • 8diamonds
    8diamonds Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It can be done, read the success stories they provide great inspiration and advice. Just take it one meal one day at a time. Even if you have a bad day don't give up just start again the next day and keep in kind why you are doing this. As for your knees hurting as you exercise more and lose weight things will get easier.

Add me if you like and we can support each other.
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've been there, we all have. I know this is an old chestnut but "a journey of 1000 miles starts with one step" and isn't it absolutely true? I'm only 20 lbs into a 120lbs loss so I totally understand that the struggle is real. But listen, if it takes you three years, or more, at least you got there right? The wait is the worst. Feel free to add me, and we can encourage one another!

YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • RhapsodyWinters
    RhapsodyWinters Posts: 128 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @surfergirl2017

It's okay to not worry about macros right now. Eat what you want within your calorie restriction. I'm 254 lb (the google conversion puts that at 18.1429 stone) with 130 lbs (converted at 9.28571 stone) to lose. I'm going to the gym every day (except Sunday). I'm doing strength/resistance training every other day, and cardio the rest. Keep going to the gym and walking on that treadmill. You don't have to do anything fancy. Just increase the incline when the current setting stops making you sweat. My personal trainer said he once helped a person lose 100 lb (7.14 stone) just by walking on the treadmill.

If you don't feel like going to the gym on a particular day, you don't have to. If your force yourself to go to the gym, then you might not stick with it. You can always go walking at a park. Play some Pokemon Go while you're at it! Also, having a dog helps. It motivates you to get out of the house and take them for a walk.

The important part is sticking with the program. If you eat more calories than allowed on one day, don't ignore it. Log it, and the next day you can work at not going over your calorie limit. Same goes for exercise. If you don't exercise on one day, don't get discouraged. Just go the next day. It's okay to not attend every day. It's okay to eat over your calorie limit once in a while, especially when you're first starting to lose weight.

• mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You will get there if you stick with it. Easiest thing to do it quit. It's hard, you will struggle and have days that just suck, but if you find others with similar goals as yourself, add them as friends. It's so much easier when the struggle is done with encouragement and high fives as you hit your next goal. I'm currently friends with one gal who lost almost 60 lbs in 3 months... seriously kicking some butt, but she has really dedicated herself to it and she logs daily, and has a ton of friends who root her on along the way. You CAN do it, and it's a great program. Make sure you log everything you eat, and weigh everything out too. (this is a toughie) Drink a gallon of water daily, and work through if you are bored or hungry. You will do great things! You joined and have reached out to others. Now... kick some butt.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    There is no need to make a massive overhaul at once, tiny changes will add up over time. My top tips 1) get plenty of sleep 2) drink lots of water and 3) walk a bit every day working up to 10k steps. You can start by tracking what you already eat to get an idea of the calories, then shave off a bit each week. The healthy choices will come to you. Take it slow and stick with it.
  • RhapsodyWinters
    RhapsodyWinters Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    There is no need to make a massive overhaul at once, tiny changes will add up over time. My top tips 1) get plenty of sleep 2) drink lots of water and 3) walk a bit every day working up to 10k steps. You can start by tracking what you already eat to get an idea of the calories, then shave off a bit each week. The healthy choices will come to you. Take it slow and stick with it.

So much of this. I would never stick to this if I did a 360 and completely changed my diet. Since starting to lose weight, I have added a few things here and there. There's this premade steamer that has lightly sauced macaroni and cheese with broccoli (a lot of broccoli too) that I use as a side. I never used to eat broccoli before. Little changes like that are useful. I recently bought a different type that has more different vegetables.

I also went from drinking only soda to drinking water all day at work, during my exercise after work, and then just a cup of soda or low calorie juice with dinner.
  • kazz882
    kazz882 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Firstly you have lost 10lb already!! Well done that is fantastic! Now l am certainly no expert at weight loss or advice but what works for me is taking each day at a time, baby steps not got a specific goal weight as such, just seeing clothes fitting better then being too big is keeping me going at the moment.

I'm trying to focus on eating a little of everything, l refuse to call this a diet or deprive myself of any foods, l try to log as accurately as l can but if l go over a bit l start again the next day. I weigh myself every day ( not for everyone) but its what keeps me motivated.

I truly believe if your hearts in it you really can do this! Good luck!

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight and improve your health and quality of life. MFP is a great tool to use.
    Focus on what you are doing now and meeting your calorie goal today. One day at a time.
    Don't set a deadline of your birthday or whatever. Just plan to keep going for as long as it takes. You can certainly make great progress by your birthday and that is the important part not the specific number.
    Every pound off is an improvement to your health.
    Take body measurements and a progress photo every month. You are going to hate those photos. You don't have to look at them every day. One day you will compare a current photo with your start photo and really see the change.
  • rebaisett
    rebaisett Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Well you are already making a start. You are on here:) I believe in MFP. The community has a vast knowledge about weight loss and fitness. The support you get is incredible! Take one day at a time. I have my own issues like everyone but I decided that I won't let it get me down. We believe in you and we all have your back!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I BELIEVE that your desire to achieve all the things you wrote in your post are stronger than you give credit to your self..

Now you went to the store I see, and you refrained from perhaps some old habits.. Don't you think this deserves a pat on the back? I do..

So believe in yourself, believe that you can achieve all the things you desire and more over believe in MFP's process cause if you follow this method, you are gonna get results and reap the rewards from hard work and dedication..

My best advice, is stop looking at the end and at the final number.. Start looking at how to achieve your first mini goals.. Then set another one, and so forth... try not overwhelm yourself with all that will be in the past.. set yourself up for sucess!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can do it if you want it badly enough to make changes, as you did already at the store, and stick with them. The more you lose and the more you work out, ESPECIALLY strength train, the less pain you will have. That's how it's worked for me. I have very little pain these days, compared to 2 years ago when every move brought pain. My motto has been I CAN DO THIS. I post it on my computer and on the first page of my journal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I can relate to losing 10 stones feeling overwhelming. Maybe just set mini-goals of a stone at a time? Reward yourself with some nice new clothes every time you're down a stone.

I had knee pain in the beginning as well. Doing these exercises regularly helped, as well as strengthening the muscles around my knees through walking, gardening, and yoga.

2a2aofr66i14.jpg
  • djaustin53
    djaustin53 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!! One day at a time. Set small goals 5 pounds maybe.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    This weight loss thing is a long term gig. LOOOONG term gig. It's not a one month fix. You're going to have highs and lows (and the lows are where you MUST keep pressing as much as you want to throw your hands up) but consistency in the doing will get you there. Trust the system and keep at it.

You CAN do it. I promise.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You are doing the right things - keep at it. I know it seems daunting and impossible but I promise it can be done.
    This is a long process and you are going to learn so much along the way. Your body will change but your mind will too - you are embarking on such a positive journey to health. Don't be afraid to reach our here in the community if you are feeling low or unsure - there is so much support available here. Always, always believe in yourself. You've got this. :)