Saw pictures of myself tonight on Facebook :(

Options
First, I should introduce myself. I'm Liz, I'm almost 43 years old, and I have a great husband who is in very good shape and a 6 year old son who is the light of my life. I am currently about 175. Until 15 years ago, I was a small person, about a size 4 or so, about 128 pounds. Until recently, I hovered around 161. But then I quit smoking again on January 2nd of this year, and I began gaining weight pretty much daily. In fact, I gained just about 20 pounds between January and last month when I joined here.

I never, ever pose for pictures, but a neighbor took some candid shots of our neighborhood July 4th party and posted them on FB. I've been with MFP for a month now, and the same day I joined here I also started personal training at my gym. Well, I literally could not believe the pictures I saw. I know that I shouldn't be discouraged so soon, but the pictures really threw me into a funk tonight. I am very, very slowly starting to not only stop gaining weight as I was for 6 months, but to lose slight amounts of weight. I just wish I hadn't seen those pictures. I am of course happy that I am making changes -- I am doing really well with the eating, and the PT is kicking my *kitten* twice a week, and I am also doing some additional cardio. But those pictures, well, almost made me want to just say eff it, I'm never ever going to get to where I want to be. I suppose I should be grateful that I saw how bad I actually look to others to motivate me. Anyway, having a bad night and wanted to share. I know some of you have probably been in the exact same shoes. Thanks if you made it through this.

Replies

• icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I try to flip it around when I start feeling like that. For example "I look horrible in these pictures, but I'll look better next time." I turn my funk into more fuel for my motivation.
  • anemoneflynn
    Options
    I'm with you, every time I see pictures of myself I get depressed. Some of the things I tell myself to keep on top of it are:

#1. You always look worse behind a lens - remember the old saying the camera puts on 10 lbs?
    #2. When you're in a picture, you're not moving / breathing / engaged the same way, it's easy to capture a moment when you're not at your best.
    #3. You are the one who is most affected by the pictures - when other people look at them, they don't just see your body, they see YOU, and that makes all the difference. :-D

Don't let it get you down!
  • imagin002
    imagin002 Posts: 32
    Options
    just think if you stick with it, next july 4th you WILL BE posing for pictures! :) good luck...I'm sure you will do great!!
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! Even when you've come a long way and you see recent pictures of yourself still looking like a fat balloon it does really hurt! But I harness that into motivation to never stop what i'm doing to change now. I think we've all been uncomfortable and unhappy with ourselves for too long to be put off making a positive difference now! I'd actually save those pictures you saw into a folder on your computer and then compare them to the next lot of photos taken of you.
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I would totally use the pics as motivation. Think of them as your before pics. If you were a 4 once you can be a 4 again.
  • BrattyLori
    BrattyLori Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    OMG. I have actually NOT gone to events because I KNOW that my one camera-happy friend is going to snap away and then post post post on fb! HATE THAT! Also horrible, the owners at my zumba class take pictures and video of the class ALL the time and post them on fb and youtube! MORTIFYING! Hey! Skinny people - put your cameras down once in awhile!
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Liz,

I understand how you feel. I am really a 130 lb. person lost in a 200+ body. I am active, play tennis, walk dogs and really can't believe how much I weigh until I see pics of myself. Yikes...well that is facing reality but I need to tell you the really good news. Those pics are now your BEFORE pics and when you reach your goal your will be so proud of yourself and how far you come that you will proudly post them for all of us to see along with your AFTER pics. I have lost almost 20 lbs and am now wishing I had a picture of me at my heaviest. I read the success stories and look at the before and after pictures people share and am so amazed and happy for them. I can't wait until I can reach my goal and post my AFTER pictures. Yesterday I actually took some pictures of myself at this weight so I can post them when I am ready along with my after pictures.

Do you ever look or read about The Biggest Losers and look at their before and after pictures? It is very inspiring.
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel; my family is very picture happy and I hate when I get my picture taken because then I just get to see how really fat I look later. No fun at all! Since I am on this journey to lose weight and get fit though I am using those pictures to motivate me that I don't want to look like that next Easter, next 4th of July, etc. As someone else said before others are seeing the whole package of YOU not just the fat that is on your body! Keep up the hard work, it will be worth it in the end!
  • tsmith6569
    tsmith6569 Posts: 63
    Options
    yep, use it as motivation! when I took this first picture of myself I wanted to crawl in a hole and cry. BUT THEN, I worked hard, I believed it would happen and I took the second picture. I, too, wish I had more pictures of myself at my heaviest to motiviate me to STAY where I'm at now.....Use it to your advantage, the hard work pays off and is SO worth it!
  • beckyann858
    beckyann858 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Omg, I know EXACTLY what you mean! It was something like a week after I started on here, I was religiously working out, logging my calories, etc, and felt like I was making really great progress, and then one day as I was walking down a hallway at work, I caught a glimpse of myself in a window reflection and was absolutely horrified! I actually came home and got on the computer to vent about it on here! The most helpful feedback I received was someone who mentioned how much worse I would feel if I had seen that reflection and wasn't already taking the right steps to improve myself. There was a lot of truth to that. Of course we're not happy to see unflattering images of ourselves, in photos, or in a reflection, but at least if we're already taking charge and making better choices, we can honestly tell ourselves that it really is only a matter of time until our outsides match the vision we see for ourselves! Hang in there, and add me if you like; together we'll change those images! :smile:

Oh, and congrats on quitting smoking! I'm six weeks into my latest attempt at quitting, still too soon to call it a success, but fingers are crossed!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Stuff like that kills me. I had a moment myself recently, and I'm probably 10lb from my goal now so even when you're doing well things like this will try to mess with you.

I downloaded some motivational pics from another thread on here, and this one got to me, maybe it'll do somethin' for you too.

"No matter how slow you go you are still lapping everybody on the couch."
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you all for the support, you have brought tears to my eyes. I am really thrilled I found this site. I found it by googling "Best Calorie Counter Apps for Droid". And when I saw an article that compared this app/site to the other leader, this one came out ahead.

What I didn't know when I downloaded the app was that this site had forums too. And I have started looking to the forums for support. I see the Success posts and I can understand how awesome it feels to get to your goal! I cannot wait to get to mine, even my first mini goal of 170 (which not too many years ago would have sounded absolutely impossible for me to ever even weigh).

Thanks so much everyone, I love your advice. Hope you all hang tight too. I'm going to keep doing what I am doing, but I wish I could fast-forward time about 8-12 months when I think I may finally reach my goal of losing 30 pounds.
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    A FB pic is saving my life.... I've lost over 20lbs. since someone tagged me. There was another post that others were talking on the same subject. Let me find it, you may find that one inspirational too. I'll come back and paste the link. Plus I want to read all the other posts.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/243500-pictures-don-t-lie-unfortunately

Found it.
  • Stephanie08
    Options
    Hey! Skinny people - put your cameras down once in awhile!

OMG this cracked me up!
  • Stephanie08
    Options
    I know what you all mean about quitting smoking and gaining weight. I quit almost 12 years ago ---so there's proof that it can be done :) <---- almost a 2 pack a day smoker. I accepted the weight gain at first, but then got real lazy for many years. Now I'm older and getting to that age that I realize that my fat is doing me no better than when I smoked. So time for it to go now too.
  • countrymama03
    Options
    I hear you. That's why I'm the one with the camera most of the time. Although in looking back at all the pics of the ones that are with me in them with my boys I always think "i wish i looked good". They tell me I'm pretty and the best lookin mama around but I sure don't feel it when I look in the mirror. so I'm going to shape up now! for me and for them but mostly for me because i finally love who i am on the inside and i just need to love the outside ;)
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    MORE Facebook pictures - it could help reverse the obesity epidemic in America!!! Seriously, I'd bet there is a pretty high number of people on MFP because of Facebook tags. Speaking of before and after pics, I have to wear a photo badge at work. One of my coworkers grabbed it last week and said "OMG, look how much thinner you look now!" It's ok - I know her pretty well. But now I laugh when I look at that badge - I'm walking around every day with my "before" picture! :happy: You'll get there, and like others have said, you'll be so happy to have your "before"! :flowerforyou:
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I was like that a few months ago. I saw myself in pictures after I was working so hard and thought I looked horrible and puffy all over. I had a binge week and felt defeated. After that I started writing down everything I ate and soon found MFP.

Then I saw pictures from a week ago and I see a huge difference. I look good. I put on my super skinny shorts that I bought for motivation. They are loose. I need to go shopping.

Like everyone else said, think of those as your before pictures. You will be in awe when you compare them to pictures from 6 months from now.
  • rgprn
    rgprn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    First, I should introduce myself. I'm Liz, I'm almost 43 years old, and I have a great husband who is in very good shape and a 6 year old son who is the light of my life. I am currently about 175. Until 15 years ago, I was a small person, about a size 4 or so, about 128 pounds. Until recently, I hovered around 161. But then I quit smoking again on January 2nd of this year, and I began gaining weight pretty much daily. In fact, I gained just about 20 pounds between January and last month when I joined here.

I never, ever pose for pictures, but a neighbor took some candid shots of our neighborhood July 4th party and posted them on FB. I've been with MFP for a month now, and the same day I joined here I also started personal training at my gym. Well, I literally could not believe the pictures I saw. I know that I shouldn't be discouraged so soon, but the pictures really threw me into a funk tonight. I am very, very slowly starting to not only stop gaining weight as I was for 6 months, but to lose slight amounts of weight. I just wish I hadn't seen those pictures. I am of course happy that I am making changes -- I am doing really well with the eating, and the PT is kicking my *kitten* twice a week, and I am also doing some additional cardio. But those pictures, well, almost made me want to just say eff it, I'm never ever going to get to where I want to be. I suppose I should be grateful that I saw how bad I actually look to others to motivate me. Anyway, having a bad night and wanted to share. I know some of you have probably been in the exact same shoes. Thanks if you made it through this.
  • rgprn
    rgprn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've been a member for almost a month. I try to read several pages of posts every day. Your post made me think of myself. Many on here have 100+ to lose. I so admire these people. I have 35-40 to lose and feel a little guilty ... But my 40 is very important to me. I have high cholesterol and am "pre-diabetic". My health is the most impt reason I'm doing this but ....like you I have seen a couple of pictures of myself lately that have knocked me off my feet. I can wear the right thing and pose for a picture and do a good job hiding my weight. When my kids and grand kids get together I'm always the one
    Taking the pictures. This summer I had some 'impromptu' pictures snapped and what can I say? What you see is what you get
    Okay enough has been said. I'd love to be your friend and help w/encouragement. Since I've started on this journey I have felt better and felt better about myself. I'm open for suggestions and I'd love to share any bits of knowledge I have gained!
    Rosa from TN