Stopping smoking whilst maintaining

Anyone else been through this? My last cigarette is before bed tonight then from tomorrow I'm hoping not to gain more than a couple of pounds in the first month. Wish me luck!!

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    On the 5th week of quitting right now. I'm using the patch. Best of luck!
  • d8nni
    d8nni Posts: 49 Member
    I quit in June, it put me into maintenance because I couldn't hack all the restrictions at once. I was really scared I'd gain in all back but I didn't feel I should wait any longer to bite the bullet. I have had big backslides in the past after putting to many restrictions on myself, so I'm still a bit surprised I only gained back about 5 lbs through the process. I'm back to losing again now that I feel pretty over the hump on staying away from cigarettes. Best of luck to you, you can do it! I think the key is to monitor your optimism/pessimism about making through closely and do what you can to make you feel like you can do it.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    I quit 6 months ago and it's not effected my maintaince!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Congratulations

Been tobacco free for 16 years. I did gain a few pounds, but I was still obese then. I'm of the opinion that weight gain from stopping smoking is because your food tastes better. Just wait till you can start to smell other smokers, that helped my motivation!
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Well I'm on day 2 and it's going well, had 10% more cals per day (200 ish) and not really worried about that :)
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Congratulations

Been tobacco free for 16 years. I did gain a few pounds, but I was still obese then. I'm of the opinion that weight gain from stopping smoking is because your food tastes better. Just wait till you can start to smell other smokers, that helped my motivation!

So true. Food tastes so much better when you quit smoking! I quit years ago and to offset things, I started running more. Yes, I had been a smoker who ran lol Of course the running became a lot easier once my lungs functioned better so it became less of a chore and more fun. I had kidded myself into believing that smoking didn't have a huge effect of my lung capacity. Boy was I wrong! Exercise was a huge positive reinforcement for me. So my suggestion is to exercise more.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Good luck!

I quit smoking the day I brought my baby son home - February 1992.
    Been slim/fat/unfit/fit since then but guess what's the best thing about quitting......
    Neither of my children grew up to be smokers.

When you have a bad day maybe that's a thought to keep you strong?
  • One of my friends on here said there was an app to quit smoking. I have not found it yet, but need to quit myself, but am also concerned with the weight I might gain back.....I know it's healthier to quit smoking than be a little over weight though.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I quit while i was losing over 12mths ago now, but i swapped over to using a vapouriser, so kinda cheating.. I know i couldn't have quit without it, I tried many, many times.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Yes. None of my MFP friends know this. I guess if they see this thread...the cat's out of the bag. I went cold turkey on June 5th. My weight has fluctuated but it's been do to extreme stress. Nothing to do with quitting smoking.
  • andrea_nichol
    andrea_nichol Posts: 47 Member
    Congratulations!!! I would recommend planning ahead for non-food ways to manage urges to smoke. Find an activity to distract your hands and mind and the craving will usually pass within 5 minutes.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    I quit smoking 5 years ago, weight was not affected. But you MUST replace that habit with something else... exercise (even walking), meditating, writing (journaling), ANYTHING. Well, preferably not food related...
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Check out whyquit.com. they have a support forum much like MFP. It helped me immensly when I quit 8 years ago. It's hard, but uou can do it!
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    I'm on week four, managed first three without a single cigarette and put on 3lbs. Been suffering badly this week with depression and anxiety and have had 11 cigarettes. Getting blood test results Monday for thyroid function and iron levels so hopefully something there can fix my mood and I will stop again.
  • tracytesla
    tracytesla Posts: 7 Member
    I quit smoking 8 years ago. What helped me was chewing sugar free gum. I needed something to replace the oral part of it. The hardest part for me I think was breaking the ritual of it all; not wanting one after certain moments (ie. eating, waking up, coffee, driving, sex etc.) I still 8 years later miss it, and I think I always will. When I do I just take a deep breath (because I can now) and it reminds me why I'm smoke free.
    And my opinion on gaining a few pounds because of quitting is I think it's a worthwhile, temporary trade, for your long term health. You can and will lose any weight gained down the road.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    I stopped smoking 15 years ago - I was too thin so didn't mind gaining weight but what helped me was drinking a glass of water every time a felt a craving (Spent a fair amount of time in the bathroom at first! ) - that might help with food cravings too. But I'd say stopping smoking is your priority - maybe don't worry too much if you gain a bit of weight initially
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    I just quit smoking 11 days ago, and I'm aiming to lose weight. I slowed down from losing 4 to 5 lbs a week to 2lbs a week, so no harm done. The first week cravings cost me between 150-450 extra calories a day. I'm getting hunger back under control already. Portion controlled snacks are what helped a lot, plus all my meals are meal prepped.
  • playadelcarmen2
    playadelcarmen2 Posts: 38 Member
    I quit smoking almost two months ago and started hormone replacement therapy at almost the same time. So double whammy, I have gained about 5 lbs, but am getting serious about losing it now. I have used the app quitnet.com and it's a huge help, I also vape, but no nicotine. Gives me something to do with my hands. Good luck to you!