How much should I work out?

Options
Hi all - looking for some advice in the fitness arena today! I LOVE to spin, I go 5-6 days a week and I add a strength training circuit in some days and a strength training 60 minute class the others (rounding out to about 6 days a week of both cardio & strength training).

My question is, how much does one really need to exercise to lose weight? I enjoy going to the gym and working out, and I don't think I'm "over doing it" but I'd be interested to hear others experiences on how much they have exercised to get good results while trying to lose weight.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weight loss is all you need. Exercise is for health.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    You don't exercise to lose weight. You exercise to improve your health and fitness.

If you need to lose weight, then you just have to eat less than you burn (CICO). You can lose weight with no exercise at all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    yep, you can loose weight without doing sport, but the risk is high that it is muscle you loose instead of fat. To maintain muscles or even create more sport is important.

Continue the sport, eat health and weigt wil go down, principally from fat. You'll be much fitter than doing only diet
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    As everyone said you don't need to exercise to lose.

You sound like a fitness junkie like me!! I just love to workout. I spin, run, strength train. I workout 7 days a week, intensity varies. I just feel better when I workout.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    You can exercise as much as you want/can handle. Just take at least one rest day a week, and if your body feels like it needs rest, give it what it wants. I do about 90 minutes of exercise 6 days a week and occasionally have to drop it to 5 days just because the body gets sore. Otherwise I love it, and the benefits (increased fitness) makes me happy. ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    saram1381 wrote: »
    Hi all - looking for some advice in the fitness arena today! I LOVE to spin, I go 5-6 days a week and I add a strength training circuit in some days and a strength training 60 minute class the others (rounding out to about 6 days a week of both cardio & strength training).

My question is, how much does one really need to exercise to lose weight? I enjoy going to the gym and working out, and I don't think I'm "over doing it" but I'd be interested to hear others experiences on how much they have exercised to get good results while trying to lose weight.

Thanks in advance!

You don't need to exercise at all to lose weight...though I wouldn't recommend it and it certainly makes things easier. You burn calories 24/7...a *kitten* ton of them...exercise is usually a drop in the bucket compared to what you're burning just existing and doing your day to day...exercise just adds a little bit to your expenditure.

Try to disassociate the two...diet for weight management and exercise for fitness...they are complimentary, but very much different things. Establishing some fitness goals will help dictate your training and in conjunction with your diet you have a win/win.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I actually have found better results when I balance cardio and weights. I might suggest a little less spin class and a little more strength training. You'll retain more lean muscle mass while you lose weight that way.
  • gracimusic
    gracimusic Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with SuelnAz, doing more strength training (and progressively increasing your weights) will make you see changes quicker than just doing a lot of cardio. Also HIIT (High interval training) and Tabata workouts are great to see results and burn calories. Again, combine it with a healthy diet :-)
  • jrstarling
    jrstarling Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    3 days a week is all that I do with good nutrition most days and I am down 70lbs in 18 months. Two days of lifting and 1 day of cardio. Some weeks I might throw in a 2nd day of cardio but rarely does that happen.