Need to cut out snacks -suggestions pls...

Options
ABHY7
ABHY7 Posts: 70 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So snacks are my downfall! Each day I'm averaging 350-400 cals on bars, crisps or crackers! It's an evening affair, when kids are in bed and boredom sets in! I just fancy a treat but then all the good work during the day goes out the window! !
Any helpful non night time binging help!!!!

Replies

• KelBgess
    KelBgess Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Try eating healthy alternatives. Quest, Pure Protein and Oh Yeah! make protein bars that taste sinful but are pretty good for you. Pure Protein also makes Protein Crunch snacks that taste like the candy whoppers in chocolate and peanut butter flavors. There are cereals, pretzels and other crisps type snacks made by Kay's Naturals. All of these products are available on Amazon.com There are a ton of recipes out there as well for cakes, cookies and brownies made from protein powder. Not sure if you can access my recipes but I have a few posted. Night time snacking is definitely the hardest. Best of luck in firing up that will power!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    purelush wrote: »
    So snacks are my downfall! Each day I'm averaging 350-400 cals on bars, crisps or crackers! It's an evening affair, when kids are in bed and boredom sets in! I just fancy a treat but then all the good work during the day goes out the window! !
    Any helpful non night time binging help!!!!

Are you binging? or overeating snacks in the evening? Big difference.
    Find some lower calorie tasty snacks. And don't keep stuff in the house that you can't eat just a bit of.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I save calories for the evening, and my alternative low-cal snack when I want to munch is air-popped popcorn.
    I also like evening treats but try to keep it small - mini chocolate bars are nice (as long as you stop at one).
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    You sub out those snacks for some other ones that fit more easily into your calorie and macro goals for the day. Snacks are alright to have. You just need to make sure that you fit them into your nutritional goals for the day. Set aside ~300 calories for snacks and enjoy them!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    This is why I cut out things like creamy dressings, oil, lots of sugar, bread...then...snacks!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    This is why I cut out things like creamy dressings, oil, lots of sugar, bread...then...snacks!

Perfect. We each make the things we see as important and yummy, WORK for us.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Perfect. We each make the things we see as important and yummy, WORK for us.

I wrote that really poorly. It sounds like I cut out the snacks.

OP I have at least 400 calories of dessert every night. If you really want to cut out snacks you'll have to figure out how to make your meals more filling for the same amount of calories, which is usually by adding volume with less carbs and more veg, and a decent amount of protein.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I have a smaller breakfast/lunch so I can save calories for night time
  • Ploofs
    Ploofs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Try not to have those snacks around you so you're not tempted to reach for them. When I feel like snacking I portion out about 100-200 calories worth in a zip lock baggy so I know what I can.. and cannot munch on.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating three decent, protein filled meals!
    A good sized breakfast, lunch and dinner with foods that will fill you up. I used to snack constantly, be it on granola bars or cake bars or biscuits. I knew this was stalling my weight loss so I started eating three GOOD meals, When I say GOOD, I mean 'Filling'. I stopped snacking because I didn't NEED to snack. :) It doesn't have to be complicated. Just eat well and your stomach will act accordingly.
  • Nickisa24
    Nickisa24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Lots of things you could try

1) eat dinner later so you're too full for snacks

2) it's hard not to keep treats in the house when you have kids so try to buy 'better' ones such as mini/bite size chocolate bars so you can curb the craving with just one small treat. Or buy stuff you don't particularly like. My downfall is crisps so I buy cheese and onion flavour because I don't like them but the kids do.

3) replace the snacks with healthy options. I must admit though, I tried this-sweet potato fries, cinna apple slices, salted popcorn etc but it wasn't the same. I like sweet popcorn damnit!! ;)

4) do a workout when the kids go to bed. Distraction technique. My routine now is to have my 'naughty snack' after lunch because I don't have time to 'binge'. I have to get back to work or housework if it's my day off. Today it was a small bag of maltesers (96cals) and small packet of crisps (104cals) Then Dinner at 7.30pm, kids to bed. Tidy up and do my workout while watching TV. Lay on floor like I'm dying after my workout ;) then shower/long hot bath and bed. No time for snacks!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What's your calories goal? How much deficit are you aiming for? You might be slowing down your loss a bit but it's unlikely you're wiping out all your other deficit.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    instead of snacking, eat proper meals more times a day :) I eat 4-5 normal sized meals per day or normal food instead of breakfat lunch dinner and a tonne of snacks.
  • Goldstr324
    Goldstr324 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I added more protein..Isagenix meal replacement shakes and protein bars. With all the extra nutritional protein it has almost completely curbed my desire for sweets. It has helped me control my urges to eat stuff like candy bars and ice cream..which I love
  • Myki3012
    Myki3012 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Find something else to try and keep yourself busy so that boredom sets in.
  • Caroline393
    Caroline393 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I live snacks, so I started finding lower calorie substitutes for the things I liked. I eat plain popcorn a lot, and I found BBQ pop chips that are really flavorful and tasty. I like them just as much at the regular kind, but a serving (20 chips) is only 110 calories. Sweet potato chips are also good, and salted sugar snap pea crisps. You could also try almonds or other nuts, but I was surprised to see how quickly those add up. A square of dark chocolate is my go-to for when I get a sweet craving