small bottom,,, bigg top,,,

Options
Okay, so i really need 2 know what exercises can be done...to help me lose weight in my chest and arms... thats where i carry my weight as well!!! i dont want 2 keep runnin and doin cardio... 2 hve small legs and my chest area is stayin tha same... Any advice is greatly appeciated!!!!

Replies

• abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    u cant spot reduce, cardio is really the only thing that can help with weight loss. Also strength training can also help.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    u cant spot reduce, cardio is really the only thing that can help with weight loss. Also strength training can also help.

exactly this
  • nmescalera
    nmescalera Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    unfortunatly fat comes off where it wants to come off not where we want it too :0( you can try some upper body strength training but i dont know if that would work
  • Adbrown1956
    Adbrown1956 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

what is spot reduce?
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    I have the SAME problem girl! I hired a person trainer and I'm going to tell you the same thing he told me... strength training burns more calories than cardio because it continues to burn calories and every 3lbs of muscle you put on, your body burns an avg of 120 extra calories a day (I think I have that number right!)

Anyway, he also put me on a program where I have to go to the gym 5 days a week, 5 minutes of warm up cardio followed by 30 minutes of strength training, followed by 20-25 minutes of cardio at an incline (and if I want to go the 6th day I can run... how very nice of him?!) But the strength training routine is 1 day I'm doing arms, 1 day back, 1 day chest, 1 day legs, 1 day shoulders - in other words, 4 days of upper body and 1 day of lower body. Hope this helps!
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Spot reduce...

Trying to lose weight in one particular area
  • Adbrown1956
    Adbrown1956 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have the SAME problem girl! I hired a person trainer and I'm going to tell you the same thing he told me... strength training burns more calories than cardio because it continues to burn calories and every 3lbs of muscle you put on, your body burns an avg of 120 extra calories a day (I think I have that number right!)

Anyway, he also put me on a program where I have to go to the gym 5 days a week, 5 minutes of warm up cardio followed by 30 minutes of strength training, followed by 20-25 minutes of cardio at an incline (and if I want to go the 6th day I can run... how very nice of him?!) But the strength training routine is 1 day I'm doing arms, 1 day back, 1 day chest, 1 day legs, 1 day shoulders - in other words, 4 days of upper body and 1 day of lower body. Hope this helps!

yes it does help alot im goin to take note of it!!!!! thank you everyone!!!!
  • sheffiej34
    sheffiej34 Posts: 91
    Options
    My figure is somewhat similar to yours, but my excess weight is in my belly. I came across this article for strength training. Don't know your age - doesn't matter. If it helps, great! I plan on starting it Monday along w/ Cardio 3x per week. I don't like my arms or my belly. I'm hoping the strength training will give me a good overall workout in addition to the cardio.

http://www.prevention.com/health/fitness/strength-training/the-essential-over-40-workout/article/111d3476be8b2210VgnVCM10000030281eac____
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    My weight is in the belly and boobs.

Working your upper body will build muscles in the upper body, which isn't what you want.. Cardio will burn fat from all over.
  • bluk30
    bluk30 Posts: 37
    Options
    Actually, you can spot reduce... kinda sorta.

A recent study found that "an acute bout of exercise can induce spot lipolysis and increased blood flow in adipose tissue adjacent to contracting skeletal muscle.". http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16985258

Basically, you will lose a greater amount of fat (lipolysis) in areas that have the greatest blood flow during your exercise. By doing exercises focusing on a certain body part (which increases the blood flow), lipolysis will occur at a greater rate in that area.

For example, stopping periodically during your treadmill work and doing a super set of biceps and triceps may, in fact, speed up fat loss in the upper arms. There were old-school bodybuilders that used techniques like this and had great success with it.

Here's an article which explains how to use it in a workout.
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/spot_reduction_is_real_heres_how_to_do_it&cr=

I was skeptical at first as well, but have been experimenting with the methods described in the article. Yes, it is working on a measurable, objective level. Amazing, but true.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Actually, you can spot reduce... kinda sorta.

A recent study found that "an acute bout of exercise can induce spot lipolysis and increased blood flow in adipose tissue adjacent to contracting skeletal muscle.". http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16985258

Basically, you will lose a greater amount of fat (lipolysis) in areas that have the greatest blood flow during your exercise. By doing exercises focusing on a certain body part (which increases the blood flow), lipolysis will occur at a greater rate in that area.

For example, stopping periodically during your treadmill work and doing a super set of biceps and triceps may, in fact, speed up fat loss in the upper arms. There were old-school bodybuilders that used techniques like this and had great success with it.

Here's an article which explains how to use it in a workout.
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/spot_reduction_is_real_heres_how_to_do_it&cr=

I was skeptical at first as well, but have been experimenting with the methods described in the article. Yes, it is working on a measurable, objective level. Amazing, but true.
    That's interesting.
    I have the opposite problem to the OP, my top part looks basically normal now but I still have a grossly overproportioned bum and thighs, anything to make them smaller would rock!