Losing weight extremely slowly.

Options
I am losing weight extremely slowly ...like less than a pound a week sometimes nothing. I am eating 1500 calories a day. I don't understand how I am not losing weight . Any input??

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose? What is your weekly goal set at? How long have you been eating 1500 calories?
  • kristinarose370
    kristinarose370 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have about 20 more lbs to lose. I started at 1800 calories and every few weeks I lower by 100 when I stop losing . I'm not really losing at 1500 calories now . It's been about 2 weeks at 1500.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your intake?

Also with 20 pounds to lose, you're going to be seeing smaller losses, probably less than a pound a week. Once you get to the last 10-15, half a pound is what you should be aiming for.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?
  • kristinarose370
    kristinarose370 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    No I haven't weighed my food .
  • wrharvill
    wrharvill Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    No I haven't weighed my food .

There you go, that is your solution. Weigh and track everything you eat or drink. You are likely overestimating calories. I believe the statistic that is banded about is that people underestimate calorie by as much as 50% and overestimate exercise by the same.

So true. I've been weighing all my food since the beginning and though I hope to be able to eventually accuratly estimate in the future I think I'll always have to measure pasta... while ultimatly filling, the serving size for for penne is disturbingly small :neutral:
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I concur on the weighing of food.

At the same time, I don't argee that you lose weight "extremely slow". You seem to be losing it at a perfect pace actually. I'm in my last couple of pounds of weight loss and I yes it goes slow but it's the healthy way. I definitely wouldn't go lower than 1500 cals either!
    Keep it up you're doing fine!
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree that your rate of loss is actually very good at the point you are with 20 lbs to lose. I have 18 left to go and eat between 1300-1500 a day and average 1/2 lb a week or so. It's healthy, we just gotta stay the course;)
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    That's good weight loss rate for so little to lose. We women are more at the mercy of water retention weight fluctuations due to monthly cycle. You may not see a loss every week. Weighing your food is still more accurate, though. Give it time.
  • morocj
    morocj Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race! Seems like you are on track. Are you active during the day (i.e. getting steps in?)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Im down to my last 20lb and 1/2lb a week is what I an for. It tends to be a slower process the closer you get to goal. Dont be discouraged
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That's not slow. It is normal. You are doing well.
  • mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This is not scientific whatsoever, but it works for me. When this happens to me- I plateau and hate tracking if I don't see any results, I take a few weeks off, eating mindfully but not tracking. In other words, I eat close to maintenance, making sure I'm still eating a healthy, veggie-rich diet. Then I go back to tracking at the same calorie target, and I tend to start losing again. Not sure why this works for me, my crackpot theory is it gives my body a chance to get used to the lower weight; it's more willing to give up the weight then when I start calorie restricting again.