Advice on exercise after abdominal surgery.

Options
RebeccaRLN
RebeccaRLN Posts: 4 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello,
I recently had lower abdominal surgery where a 5 inch incision has been made on my bikini line and my muscles cut through. I was advised by the doctor to gradually start walking further and further after 2 weeks as pain allows but no gym or lifting for 6 weeks. I'm eating a very strict diet so I won't put weight on ,but will help me heal.

I just need advice on how to rebuild my core muscles and generally what excercise I should do to get back to fitness.
Thanks

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Rebuild by squats, deadlifts, overhead pressing, bench pressing, and barbell rows.

Realistically, whatever workouts you were doing previously, if they got you to your goals, work also for rebuilding as well.

Also, you may have to punch up calories to heal; repairing trauma takes energy.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Have you considered something like yoga? I had a very minor abdominal procedure (it only required two small incisions) and I'm doing yoga. I'm not sure what your goals are though. My goals are just about core strength and stability and don't include a real "muscle building" agenda.

Last night I was doing the boat pose. It really works at your core without any weights or resistance, you are just using your own body to build strength. It also doesn't require any rapid movements that could be a concern for an incision.