Ok so getting a little frustrated here...

Options
Ok so began to be strict with the new lifestyle. I have a goal of losing 30lbs.

for two weeks, i have been working out 5 times a week and keeping my goal calorie intake lower. i have weighed myself and i actually gained 1 lb since my last weigh in.

Can you guys offer any advice?

my diary is open and whatever dinner intake i do is gonna be lower its just i dont have my phone with me to input the info.

Also, im on an anxiety med that i believe is the culprit but people here say it isnt so unsure to blame that.

Replies

• ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Is the workout regimen/frequency new? Generally at the start of a new exercise program or increase in volume or intensity, your muscles will retain a few pounds of water for repair. Your weight loss will never be exactly linear, so you should stick with your current plan for at least a few more weeks before you can really assess the overall trend.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    water weight or poor logging. someone will post a flow chart for you soon
  • skyhowl
    skyhowl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Most of the inputs are in grams. but do you use a scale to weight your food or log the most close entry?
  • PurpleRuner
    PurpleRuner Posts: 5 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I went through your dairy. It seems like you have too big of a deficit. Some days you ate only about 1000 cals? And you work out too? That is way too low...Somewhere on here I read that "goal calories for the day is set to be met, not to be lower." Also two weeks is not enough time to see big difference.
  • credle071207
    credle071207 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's a marathon, not a sprint. Be patient, but be consistent.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I went through your dairy. It seems like you have too big of a deficit. Some days you ate only about 1000 cals? And you work out too? That is way too low...Somewhere on here I read that "goal calories for the day is set to be met, not to be lower." Also two weeks is not enough time to see big difference.

Also, you need to give yourself more time. Your body is getting use to the change. 1 lbs isn't anything to worry about. Keep the exercise up. You're doing well. Although you should up your calories to what MFP recommends and never go under 1500 kcal a day.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Ok so some more info.

All is in grams because that was the easiest option on my weight scale so that I can follow the nutrition info of the food I buy. I scan anything with a bar and I eat exactly what is weighed.

According to iifym, I should be eating that amount of food for my body type and goal.

As for the diary that has less calories, I couldn’t put in some as I forgot to input in as I said. What sucks is maybe im leaving a big deficit already and not eating enough. Could be?

As for workout, it’s the same workout just now using the mfp for checking my food. Im trying to burn fat because im obviously not going to see my muscles with all the fat on me.

My height is 5’8 and im 210 .3 right now.
  • LazSommer
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »
    Ok so some more info.

All is in grams because that was the easiest option on my weight scale so that I can follow the nutrition info of the food I buy. I scan anything with a bar and I eat exactly what is weighed.

According to iifym, I should be eating that amount of food for my body type and goal.

As for the diary that has less calories, I couldn’t put in some as I forgot to input in as I said. What sucks is maybe im leaving a big deficit already and not eating enough. Could be?

As for workout, it’s the same workout just now using the mfp for checking my food. Im trying to burn fat because im obviously not going to see my muscles with all the fat on me.

Honestly, eating less would not stall you. I'm your height and never reached 210. If I eat less than my TDEE I will always lose weight. I may have slightly more lean mass than you, but at our height losing or gaining weight is pretty easy to figure out with our lower BMR/TDEE range. Around 160 TDEE is about 2100 which gives a lot of wiggle room for gaining or losing. At your current size you will lose with accurate logging even eating 2k calories.
  • raven56706
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Ok so some more info.

Honestly, eating less would not stall you. I'm your height and never reached 210. If I eat less than my TDEE I will always lose weight. I may have slightly more lean mass than you, but at our height losing or gaining weight is pretty easy to figure out with our lower BMR/TDEE range. Around 160 TDEE is about 2100 which gives a lot of wiggle room for gaining or losing. At your current size you will lose with accurate logging even eating 2k calories.

ok so... then i wonder what it could be. I mean the only thing i can think of is the antidepressant.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Usually antidepressants "make" you gain weight by increasing your appetite so you increase your caloriws which you aren't doing. Perhaps you are retaining fluid?
  • LazSommer
    Options
    Ok so some more info.

ok so... then i wonder what it could be. I mean the only thing i can think of is the antidepressant.

I can't see your diary, but I promise you the issue is there. Anything I can't scan I match up to the USDA data in grams. I weigh my food dry and then after cooking for exact serving sizes and portions.

Start there and don't count any exercise at first if it's light. If it's heavy exercise, get a reliable estimate and start by eating half. Weigh daily and keep an average. Don't eat anything extra for strength training. Adjust as necessary.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Ok so began to be strict with the new lifestyle. I have a goal of losing 30lbs.

for two weeks, i have been working out 5 times a week and keeping my goal calorie intake lower. i have weighed myself and i actually gained 1 lb since my last weigh in.

Can you guys offer any advice?

my diary is open and whatever dinner intake i do is gonna be lower its just i dont have my phone with me to input the info.

Also, im on an anxiety med that i believe is the culprit but people here say it isnt so unsure to blame that.

Two weeks is not enough to make a determination if your dietary plan is working or not.

1 pound is natural fluctuation.

Weight loss is not linear. You will lose a pound, gain a pound, lose two pounds when you haven't lose anything for a few weeks. Patience is essential.

Medications don't cause weight gain because they don't have calories, but some can cause water retention which goes away. Some can also cause an increase in appetite.

Weigh all the food you eat at home, estimate your outside meals, eat within a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.

Give it time too. :)
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    Ok so some more info.

do you do any cardio? not that its the answer, but if i'm not mistaken, cardio can help alleviate some of the depression. i'm not doctor, so check with him/her. also, i saw some days you didn't record your intake. i think you need more time. get out, go for walks, get in the sun, don't give up, tighten up the logging even tighter.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    You started working out two weeks ago. You're retaining fluid. Give it a few more weeks.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Ok so some more info.

What it is....is two weeks. Give it time. If you are sure you are eating at a calorie deficit and you don't lose anything else in 4 to 6 weeks, reevaluate.
  • raven56706
    Options
    ok sounds good. i will continue on.

i mean hell. this morning i woke up at 2am because im alittle under the weather but i still made it a point to head to the gym at 4:30am and get my workout in.

im going to continue.

as for the meds, im coming off of it beginning in November.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I can go up a pound or two just by eating a bit more sodium than usual. You need to give it more time. Also, no medication will cause weight gain. It would possibly cause you to be more hungry, which would then cause weight gain if you began to eat more.

I would set your weight and height into mfp and set it for 1 lb loss per week. Make sure you weigh everything and eat to your goal every day. You are doing yourself no good eating so low especially when working out. You should be eating no less than 1500 calories if you are a male.
  • LazSommer
    Options

i mean hell. this morning i woke up at 2am because im alittle under the weather but i still made it a point to head to the gym at 4:30am and get my workout in.

im going to continue.

Good attitude - I'm not a super consistent logger because I don't really need to these days, but if you page through my diary for the summer I have enough days fully logged that you can get food ideas from for your range. If I logged the whole day protein is generally at least 120g. I was trying to gain weight for a bit of it so knock out some of the unnecessary meals, most days are still under 2.3k. Don't actually drink 4oz of coffee creamer a day, it's a bad habit
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options

im going to continue.

you'll be fine buddy. your doing good stuff. just keep goin! and getting of the meds...good choice. :) activity will help you in your mental state. be sure you at a "good and proper" vitamin D level. have your blood checked. low levels of D can make you feel like your in the dumps.