will traveling for 2 weeks undo my progress?

Options
I'm going on a vacation to Taiwan for 2 weeks and I know I probably won't get to workout often and I will also eat *kitten* tons of food, so will it undo my progress? How do I make the best out of it?

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ This
  • zoritt
    zoritt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Ironically most time when I vacation I do not gain weight...I even lose at times. I am more active constantly walking or doing other fun activities. If you're ambitious you can always squeeze in a workout. I never do except when I am traveling for work. Lol

Enjoy your vacation :)
  • PurpleRuner
    PurpleRuner Posts: 5 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I can so relate to you. I went to Greece for two weeks vacation. I tried not to panic over the fact I had no idea how many calories I ate. So I enjoyed the vacation, walked a lot, went couple of times to gym, ate what I wanted. I came home 2 lbs ligther. I told myself if I cannot count calories I will try to listen to my body more. Do not worry. It is only 2 weeks!!!
  • melodyesch
    melodyesch Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I went to France for 2 weeks and ate tons of cheese, bread and butter. But we walked 3X what I normally walk at home (up the stairs, down the stairs) and I came home 5 pounds lighter. So just stay active and enjoy your vacation.
  • Naruya8
    Naruya8 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat in a few weeks, except I'll be gone for 3 weeks. I'm usually pretty active on vacation but this time I'm going on a roadtrip so there'll be lots of times I'll be in the car for most of the day. I'm not going to let the worrying over calories ruin my vacation, so I'm just going to enjoy myself and see what happens. I will however try to make some healthy choices (though that'll be hard because I'll be eating out at least twice a day for 3 weeks) and I'll try to get some bodyweight workouts in when I'm in the hotel. Every little bit helps :)
  • daz2270
    daz2270 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi I managed to gain 15lbs in 3.5 weeks in Australia. Less activity, more alcohol and eating out on a regular basis. But I enjoyed myself and got back to healthy ways and have lost 6lb in the couple of weeks since I returned. I don't beat myself up about cutting loose for a few weeks.
  • Naruya8
    Naruya8 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    daz2270 wrote: »
    Hi I managed to gain 15lbs in 3.5 weeks in Australia. Less activity, more alcohol and eating out on a regular basis. But I enjoyed myself and got back to healthy ways and have lost 6lb in the couple of weeks since I returned. I don't beat myself up about cutting loose for a few weeks.

Ouch, this is not looking good for me :P The upside of going to the US for my trip is that pretty much all the calorie information is found online, even of restaurants, so it'll be easier to make healthier choices. I don't think it'll be that easy in Taiwan though =/

But as you said, enjoying yourself is the most important and if you get back on track after your vaction it'll be fine, it'll just slow down your progress a little bit.
  • DirkRocks
    DirkRocks Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's gonna be challenging. Stay focused and strong.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Honestly as long as you keep logging and keep moving you'll be fine. Also, continuing to log while you're away helps you get back on track much faster when you get home.
  • Caitlinbc
    Caitlinbc Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    Like the other person said, walking to your destinations will be helpful. You can also find aerobic videos on Youtube and do those in your hotel room.

As for the food, just eat sensibly and watch portions. Pick one meal a day for indulging, then just be light on the other two. That way you are enjoying yourself but won't totally blow your hard work.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    How much progress have you made? If you have only been at this for 2 weeks and you eat over maintenance the whole time it will undo your progress. But even if you gain some weight you are unlikely to undo all of your progress. Just try to make good choices especially with portion sizes. Then pick back up when you get back from vacation.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Yes. You could mess up your progress.... unless you make good choices. Go MAINTENANCE with your calories to allow you to have a few extra calories. Make it a game when you eat out. Concentrate on proteins and vegetables when eating out.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I was on vacation for about 2 weeks and gained about 3# - so that was approximately 11,000 calories above maintenance during that time, or about 700-800 calories a day extra. My maintenance number given my level of activity during this time was 1500-1600 calories a day (walking approximately 4 miles a day. I know. It's pitiful but it is what it is, and I have over a year's worth of data). So I ate out all my meals, and had wine or beer with my evening meal most nights. I was eating consciously and enjoying it all. Now I am home and eating at a slight deficit. This is the story of maintenance for me.
  • kellyshell215
    kellyshell215 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Traveling for 2 weeks can mess with your progress when you constantly make bad choices and you eat a lot lot of food (above your maintenance). Try to active, If you are into jumping rope or skipping rope, take it with you and jump rope for 5-10min or mix it with other calisthenics (jumping rope, squats, burpees, mountain climbers, etc) so you burn a lot of calories, do yoga or pilates if you like, or any workout videos you like.
    But seriously dont worry a lot about the calories in the foods, or restrict yourself, try to enjoy your holiday...
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Go. Enjoy. Eat. Don't stress about it. It is vacation!!!! Ya know, a break from stress. Just decide that however you end up, when you get home it is back to work again.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Go. Enjoy. Eat some of everything you want to try. Walk. Lots.