Prednisone Weight!

Options
Hi!

I recently gained about 30 pounds due to health issues for which I had to take an awful lot of prednisone, and had to drastically cut back on exercise. I've been off of the meds for a couple of months, and am now just starting to exercise again and stick to a very strict (BY-THE-BOOK) Atkins diet, which worked wonders for me in the past. I'd love to connect with anyone who has been through something similar with regards to medical weight gain, and what your experience has been!

Replies

• davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    Options
    going through that now for the same reason, i ate before i went to the store for food , ate at the store and came home to eat more , just have taken it off and about to start on the next round
  • mommywhorebucks
    Options
    Well, I continued to eat as I had - but with zero exercise to even it out. So now, I'm kind of at square one with both. I'd also like to try to stay as far away from prescription medication, and use my diet as a primary source of health management. To make a long story short: I got a horrible flu in December, and subsequently had full-body edema, so much so that I couldn't wear pants or close-toed shoes. At the hospital, it was noted that I had a great deal of blood and protein in my urine, and very little albumin (an immuno-globulin) in my blood workup. After months of kidney tests, biopsies, lots of prednisone, and constant pain - I had gained 30 pounds and had not exercised in months. A final diagnosis from my immunologist confirmed that I have a genetic condition called Common Variable Immune Deficiency, as well as an inherently thin kidney membrane. Coupled with seasonal allergies and food sensitivity, my doctor agreed that an Atkins approach would be best, and so far it has been very easy to follow and I'm already feeling better. What's been really difficult is getting back into an exercise regimin...I recently ordered the Tracy Anderson DVDs, and am looking forward to trying them!
  • elijackson
    elijackson Posts: 48
    Options
    I started out with a sore throat and an earache that turned into a headache that last 4 months. It was awful! 3 rounds of steroids later and nothing was working. After finally seeing a neurologist, I got a medication that worked after almost 3 weeks of being on it. But I was basically a couch potato for 4 months. It totally sucked because I am an active martial artist.

I had put on a few pounds before the medication, but it packed on an additional 10. I'm only 5'2, so 15-20 extra pounds makes a difference on me. I was finally able to go off the headache medication (which may have been keeping me from losing the weight) about 2 weeks ago. I lost a little right away, about 3 pounds, but put back on 1.5. I'm not sure my body is convinced that its ok to go back down to my prior weight.

I am hopeful that soon I will begin to see these extra pounds drop off. I'm exercising with the C25K program. After being out for 4 months, I'm starting completely over in the endurance department which is as mentally challenging as it is physically.

Hope we can support each other. I think the first step is accepting that we may not see progress as fast as other people. We have additional challenges within our bodies. But we know how to eat correctly and exercise and we'll continue to do so each day.

Best of luck to you!
  • waterjogger
    waterjogger Posts: 114
    Options
    My dh is on Prednisone for Sarcoidosis. They tried cutting him down but he got worse and he's back on really high doses. He's gained a bunch of weight and he's feeling better so he's tried to start exercising more to help keep it down and under control. Before the Pred he could hardly breathe and now he's much better, so it's worth from that respect. Frustrating to say the least. I'd say the best thing is to keep eating sensibly and exercise as much as you can. My dh's dr recommended eating low cal veggies like cucumbers or fruits like an apple when he's feeling hungry to try and keep the weight gain to a minimum. Keep working-it will all pay off someday!
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I had something similar, my weight gain, was medical, but not pharmaciudal. I was on bed rest for a prolonged period of time, almost half a year. AFTER I was in the hospital for several months.

I gained, 35-40 pounds and could barely stand, the day a “new” doctor said I could get up and move around. I was so weak, I couldn’t walk, I had to use a walker and could only walk a couple hundred feet.

That was 109 days ago! I’ve since lost 35 pounds and can walk well over a mile, well over! I ride the stationary bike 22 minutes a day, work out six days a week.

I contribute a lot of the weight loss to MFP and determination.

You can do it to!
  • mommywhorebucks
    Options
    Thanks for all of these notes so far...I'm really just starting to pick myself up again. It's so weird to feel like I'm not even in my body! Dustin, very inspiring to hear you are feeling better!