Can you really target where fat is lost from?

Options
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have always heard that you lose fat from where ever you lose it from (maybe last fat on = first fat lost?). Anyway, I still have a lot of weight to lose but, well, my upper arms seem to be bigger in proportion to the rest of my upper body. So for my shirts to fit my arms, they are really way to large in the torso.

My friend told me that I should do exercises that focus on those muscles, but it seemed to me that I would just be adding muscle underneath the fat, making them larger. Am I completely off base?

I've been walking and losing at a reasonable rate, I'd just like to do something about my upper arms, if possible. Any suggestions?

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    no
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    no
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Options
    Can you really target where fat is lost from?

Nope.

We only wish!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Liposuction? Lose the fat and build the muscle, you will look amazing!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Yes. Certain androgenic molecules will specifically target weight distribution and a highly active person *may* tend to see a redistribution of weight over an extended period of time *if* this has an effect on androgenic production or balance. However, if it is about doing special exercises to lose weight in your arms then the short answer is "not likely."

If you wish to visually tighten an area - then, yes, maybe some exercise will increase visual presentation *slightly* particularly if it affects core positioning or tension at rest. It will not reduce fat but may make those bits shake a little less. Oh, and you aren't going to add a lot of muscle from exercising.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Yes. Certain androgenic molecules will specifically target weight distribution and a highly active person *may* tend to see a redistribution of weight over an extended period of time *if* this has an effect on androgenic production or balance. However, if it is about doing special exercises to lose weight in your arms then the short answer is "not likely."

If you wish to visually tighten an area - then, yes, maybe some exercise will increase visual presentation *slightly* particularly if it affects core positioning or tension at rest. It will not reduce fat but may make those bits shake a little less. Oh, and you aren't going to add a lot of muscle from exercising.

I have no idea what this person just said, but the answer is "No."

• melodyesch
    melodyesch Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks. I didn't think so but thought I would ask.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

I have no idea what this person just said, but the answer is "No."

Your hormones affect where and how you store fat, being active impacts fat distribution. Specific exercises do not.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    There has been one study I know of that's been done to prove it, but the results are pretty insignificant. In that study, a participant did a single leg extension for a continuous 30 minutes to reduce less than 1 gram of fat off his quad. And even if it was 1 gram, that wouldn't be much.

So the answer is still no.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png