Yoga studio or gym with yoga classes? Anyone?

Options
I currently belong to Planet Fitness (yeah yeah--it has an elliptical and that's all I'm looking for) and I do yoga independently at home. I'm looking at trying to hone my yoga practice and have been looking at various yoga studios and gyms that offer group yoga classes in my area.

I'm at a loss at what is best for me. I know that no one can make the choice FOR me but I'm looking for opinions from both angles to help inform my choice.

I want to do cardio AND yoga. Yoga is what I'm using as strength training. Yoga studios are quite expensive (most are $100-$120/month for unlimited classes in my area) and then I have my dinky $10/month PF membership. For about $80/month I could join a gym that offers group yoga classes AND offers cardio equipment. The choice seems obvious from a financial angle but I want to get really great yoga instruction. Does anyone have experience with group yoga classes offered at gyms instead of studios? Any opinions on that? My yoga practice is not just about strength and fitness but also about stress reduction.

TIA.

Replies

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I think this isn't something anyone can answer without knowing the specific gyms and studios you are talking about.

Where I live there are mostly good studios, and mostly pretty good yoga classes in some gyms too.

Can you just pay by the class for awhile and try the different places out? The mindbody phone app shows local deals for yoga and fitness. Where I go, monthly is $55, one class is $15 but they offer a first 5 for $25 pass, so that people can try it for five classes instead of one, maybe the places near you have things like this. Sometimes there are groupons, too.

I do cardio and yoga, mostly, like you using the yoga for most of my strength training, and I'd say if you are looking for an opinion, I would throw the budget toward getting the best yoga classes, and more likely you would find that in a yoga studio. But - as it isn't standardized, there are some outstanding teachers in all sorts of settings, and often the instructors teach in multiple settings, so it's possible the same people could be teaching at the gym and a couple of studios. The only way to know is to take some classes in those different places and see which ones you like.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Maybe go on Groupon and check for local deals.

The few in my area offer a great start up package for 4-5 styles of yoga for next to nothing.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! A friend of mine goes to a local studio and has two free guest passes so we are trying to coordinate a time to go together so that I can check it out. Thanks for the tip about the app for finding deals! A few places do have a reduced first month pass (most places is around $40-$50) and they all have a pay-by-the-class option as well.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Check out both. For *me* two things ultimately influenced my decision:
    1. I found a teacher I love after trying a few different ones. She's not at a gym.
    2. The schedule of classes at the gym didn't fit MY schedule well.

Whatever works for you is what works.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    You should ask the gym if they would let you try one session of the class for a reduced fee or free as you are considering becoming a member. Some gyms will do this and others won't.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input.

I think I might also check with my health insurance to see if they offer any incentives or discounted rates. My old insurance had a program where there was a huge list of gyms in my area I could join for $25. I think the price is what scares me! I definitely don't want to make a commitment without truly feeling comfortable about it. I have a high-stress job (like so many of us) and really need the positive outlet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Thanks for the input.

I think I might also check with my health insurance to see if they offer any incentives or discounted rates. My old insurance had a program where there was a huge list of gyms in my area I could join for $25. I think the price is what scares me! I definitely don't want to make a commitment without truly feeling comfortable about it. I have a high-stress job (like so many of us) and really need the positive outlet.

Mine (Blue Cross, Blue Shield) has that as well, alas no good gyms (with classes) and no yoga studios on the list.
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    In both cases they can vary. Present gym has 4 yoga instructors, one good, intense but has some outdated health ideas. Two very good and one who is waste of time. Previous gym had two great instructors, sadly rest of class seemed to resent newcomers.
    Have used two studios, one ok but not worth £40 a session. The other pretty good but couldn't stand the music.
    Also had sessions in village hall, at only £2.50 a session, she was great but sadly stopped due to lack of numbers.lack.

Would suggest trying both as it's not necessarily just about how good the instructor is but if you feel comfortable, or if it's practical ( the London studio I certainly wouldn't have been able to afford on a regular basis). Also bear in mind some sudios expect you to sign up for a term or course. May not be convenient if your not inrending to go weekly.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I belong to a gym that has yoga classes, but belong to a yoga studio as well. The variety and difficulty levels offered are usually much more comprehensive at the studio, and I have found that the instructors are more dedicated to the practice. Also, the studio offers 8-10 classes per day (so way more flexibility with my schedule) while my gym may offer one class maybe 4 times per week.

It all depends on what you want to get out of it though.

Edited to add: my normal go-to workout is running--I would much rather run outside than at the gym, but when the weather is bad I go to the gym. I do yoga to balance out some of the wear and tear from running, it is also one of my primary strength workouts (I hate lifting weights), and then there's the added bonus of the meditative aspect. I'm currently rehabbing a knee injury so I'm not allowed to run, but I am back on my mat and very happy with that.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Studio. In my experience, the instructors at studios are much better, there's more variety in the classes and types of yoga, modifications are given for different levels, and they given hands on corrections. Most gym yoga classes I've taken have been pretty subpar even at boutique high end gyms. There can be some overlap between instructors, but usually they're not the best ones.
  • MoonKat7
    MoonKat7 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I currently belong to Planet Fitness (yeah yeah--it has an elliptical and that's all I'm looking for) and I do yoga independently at home. I'm looking at trying to hone my yoga practice and have been looking at various yoga studios and gyms that offer group yoga classes in my area.

I'm at a loss at what is best for me. I know that no one can make the choice FOR me but I'm looking for opinions from both angles to help inform my choice.

I want to do cardio AND yoga. Yoga is what I'm using as strength training. Yoga studios are quite expensive (most are $100-$120/month for unlimited classes in my area) and then I have my dinky $10/month PF membership. For about $80/month I could join a gym that offers group yoga classes AND offers cardio equipment. The choice seems obvious from a financial angle but I want to get really great yoga instruction. Does anyone have experience with group yoga classes offered at gyms instead of studios? Any opinions on that? My yoga practice is not just about strength and fitness but also about stress reduction.

TIA.

Yoga as strength training?? Not sure what you mean by that but weight training for strength training, build healthy bones and strong muscles.
    Yoga loosen the muscles around the joints which is very bad
    There's a big difference between flexibility and mobility

Not sure of your location but most gyms offer both cardio equipment and group classes as part of their membership, if you go to yoga only gyms their price is high.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you are located but if you might want to look into Classpass. I have the base membership and I love being able to go to boutique studios without committing to a membership. I also agree about Groupon, Living Social
    for deals. I know my 24 offers yoga. IMO the environment, experience is not the same as a yoga studio but price wise it's a deal.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited September 2016
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »
    Not sure where you are located but if you might want to look into Classpass. I have the base membership and I love being able to go to boutique studios without committing to a membership. I also agree about Groupon, Living Social
    for deals. I know my 24 offers yoga. IMO the environment, experience is not the same as a yoga studio but price wise it's a deal.

I'd never heard of this until this post. No class pass here, but still, that' pretty neat!

I'll add: look into the "mind body" app for iphone/android. They also have "deals" on yoga classes etc. It's a good way to try different classes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    For strength, fitness, and stress reduction, look into Ashtanga type yoga classes at a yoga studio.

I'm a yoga teacher who has taught at gyms and yoga studios, and taken classes at both. I varied my class according to location.

My experience in locations in four different states and two different countries is that in general, yoga studio teachers are better. There will of course be exceptions to this.

There is no minimum requirement for being able to teach yoga. An aerobics instructor can take a weekend course and go on to teach yoga at a gym. I have the 200 hour certification. I had a yoga therapist with the 500 hour certification, plus a number of additional credentials, and she is far more knowledgeable than I am.

12 years ago in South Florida a yoga teacher I knew from a studio also taught at LA Fitness and said he was paid $15 a class, which is a joke. He said he considered it seva, or selfless service; essentially, volunteer work.
  • arjohnson128
    arjohnson128 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I practice bikram yoga at a studio which offers rates for a certain number of classes. For example, $250 for 20 classes. I always buy my classes when they are on special and utilize my student discount. I LOVE going to a studio. The quality can't be beat. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Beachbody has a yoga program now you can do at home. Something else to consider since cost is a factor. No affiliation.
  • jessilynmelendez
    jessilynmelendez Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you can find a Kripalu trained yoga instructor near you, I can't recommend them highly enough! Incredible stress management, relaxing, a great workout but also a great restoration!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    MoonKat7 wrote: »

Yoga as strength training?? Not sure what you mean by that but weight training for strength training, build healthy bones and strong muscles.
    Yoga loosen the muscles around the joints which is very bad
    There's a big difference between flexibility and mobility

Not sure of your location but most gyms offer both cardio equipment and group classes as part of their membership, if you go to yoga only gyms their price is high.

Huh?
    Yoga has arm balances, inversions, pushups, it definitely increased my strength and added muscle mass. Bodyweight training. Also it increased my flexibility, yes. Flexible tissues are healthy tissues, and mobility is just flexibility plus the strength to use it.

• carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    One consideration is the setting. A yoga studio will likely be calm, quiet and peaceful. A gym yoga class could have weights banging in the background (arg my university gym put the studio below the weight training area!), a spin class next door etc. If one of your goals is stress relief I know I get closer to that goal by being in a calm environment.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    idk . . . organized yoga gives me The Rage. that said though, kundalini class gave me the workout on top of the rage. if i have to do it, yin is more my style because you can get into a position and then take a short nap.

so for what my input is worth, i don't think yin is the form that you're looking for.