Running- how often?

Options
Hiya,

Yesterday I went for my first 10k run and really enjoyed it, I was scared I wouldn't be able to do it but I did good, my question is how often do you run and how far?
I really feel like I could do another 10k today but I don't want to push it! What's your weekly schedule and distance/time

Replies

• change_happens
    Options
    I don't run... been thinking about it... but haven't decided. I applaud you! Keep it up!
  • elijackson
    elijackson Posts: 48
    Options
    Everything I've heard says 3 times a week. Running is one of those things that I think is very different from one individual to the next. Some of us may never be runners (me!!) but we try. I'm working up to running 2 minutes at a time. And some people can just run forever. Listen to your body. Give it a couple days after a 10K and see how you feel. You'll know within 24 hours if you've overdone it.

Good luck!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I run 3 times a week, two short runs during the week (one 20-minute interval run with about a 10-minute jog home and one short, quick run, depending on how much time I have that night) and then I do a long run at the weekend, somewhere between 10 and 12 miles, just working my way up to half-marathon distance at this point. I do other types of workouts during the week, too. I have read that it's important to strength train as a runner, so I do, three times a week. I give myself one rest day as well.
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I run
    4 days a week. I do a recovery run after a distance run the next day. Tues I do track work. Thursday I run for distance sat I do hill repeats Sunday I do a light recovery run.
  • Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I run six days a week. It's a personal thing, I go by 'if it feels good, do it!'.
  • mum2littledove
    mum2littledove Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I used to think every other day, but now I can run most days (say 5 days a week) but it's worth pointing out that I don't run fast, more of a fast jog. Therefore it's more about endurance & stamina than pushing your muscles to sprint as fast as possible. I think the latter needs rest days, because it's more the equivalent of strength training.

Your body will tell you if you need rest days or not - listen to it.
  • shredderbb
    Options
    I run three times a week. Monday and Wednesday are mid runs for me. Saturday is a long run. We trained for a half marathon and used this training schedule, it worked really good. They suggest you increase your runs every week, just don't go over 10%, you don't want to burn out. We started out March 1st with 3 miles twice a week then 5 miles as the long run and worked up, our half marathon was two weekends ago and we felt great for it. I don't suggest running more than 3 times a week, you need your rest time in between runs to let your muscles repair themselves so they're good to go for the next workout. Keep it up, running burns tons of calories. I always feel a sense of accomplishment when I finish a run or race. I think it's a good idea to sign up or show up to local races, it's easy now since it's summer and they seem to be all over every weekend. Signing up for half a marathon really helped motivate me and keep me on track, I didn't slack at all, even though I wanted to at times because I had a goal to work towards. Good luck with your running!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I started running in the last 6 or 7 weeks off the back of frequent long walks.

Started small, sub-5k, but quickly hit 10k, but with some knee pain and back soreness, I've trimmed it back to 5k. I try 3 or 4 times a week.

Nothing scientific about this, just that I like to have a day between runs if possible, but I think that it's generally considered best to run every day then have a day of doing nothing, maybe spending one of the running days doing something slightly different, eg elliptical or cycling.
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    5 days a week. Two of those days I'm doing 3.5 miles on a treadmill. The other days are 3 miles outside. I'll probably up those distances here shortly (want to train for a 10k). Wednesday and Saturday are my off days.
  • Sofpt
    Sofpt Posts: 2
    Options
    i run approx 70kms per week at the moment over 6 days, and looking at increasing up to 80-100km per week by sept.
    if you feel good run, if not rest.
    happy running
  • themurph8910
    themurph8910 Posts: 124
    Options
    I run 4 days a week, saturday are my longer runs then during the week i shave off about 2 miles.
  • Chiqui74
    Chiqui74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I run 4 times a week because my schedule doesn't allow me to run more often. Some people run 5, 6 or even 7 days a week but one rest day a week is recommended. If you are going to add running days (increase frequency), don't increase mileage at the same time. I run anywhere from 3 or 4 miles to 12 so far but I"m working on increasing my mileage.