Buying a wardrobe before weight loss for motivation?

Options
Threemoons
Threemoons Posts: 1 Member
edited September 2016 in Motivation and Support
Hiyya. I have about 60lbs to lose this year (before I start university).

I was hoping to somewhat estimate what my clothes size would be at my goal weight through using height/weight calculators and then slowly buy those clothes now.

Would this be a good idea? I may get a size up just to be sure, and I like loose clothes anyway. I just think looking at the wardrobe of clothes would definitely motivate me (especially since I need new clothes for university).

Replies

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I might buy one or two motivating items (i.e. a dress you really love and want to be able to wear), but don't spend a bunch of money. You can estimate your size, but you don't really know how your body will change. For example, women talk about their boobs with regards to weight loss a LOT - what if you lose your chest, or what if it stays more full than you expect, and a bunch of the shirts you buy don't fit right? Save your money, buy from thrift stores as you lose weight, and go on a shopping spree for items that fit perfectly when you hit goal.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I would not do it. I have lost from a size 14 down to a 4. Never imagining that I would lose that much. Also my hips have gotten really small with the 4 years of walking!

I replaced my clothes mostly at consignment shops. Talbots, Chicos and Ann Taylor brands mostly. All of them like new and some with tags still on them. It is amazing the nice clothes you can find. There will always be clothes available at the time you need them.

Good luck on your healthy journey.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    A good idea, but I don't think it will work in practice. Motivation is good, but something I realized recently, discipline is key.
  • NicoleMichael62
    NicoleMichael62 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I started about two months ago I bought cute workout gear one size down to motivate me. So like leggings and sports bras and tanks but I wouldn't go investing in a whole wardrobe.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Buy one lovely item. You might not end up the size you expect, your overall shape nay change and the style of clothes you like on yourself may change.

Plus, a whole new wardrobe before it even fits.you is unreasonable pressure.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do that, make it a pair of underwear. Cheap enough, so you won't waste too much money if you don't get to that size.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of this sort of motivation. I feel best when putting on and wearing clothes that fit me...at every size.

Also , I would hate for you to pick something out from the West collection only to find it is out of fashion when you get there.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    If you're going to do that, make it a pair of underwear. Cheap enough, so you won't waste too much money if you don't get to that size.
    LOL I have a sexy pair of "goal" underwear in my drawer right now

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would not buy a whole wardrobe of smaller clothes now. You really don't know how things are going to fit your body when you lose a bunch and your preferences may change slightly. Get a couple of smaller size clothes but not a whole wardrobe you can't fit into. Buy things more as you need them.
    I had just a few things that were smaller- pair of jeans, top or two. I really dislike wearing loose clothes now.
    My upper body measurements have changed more than my lower body.
  • BrokeBirkin
    BrokeBirkin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Not a full wardrobe, an outfit or something maybe. Mostly because it doesn't do any good for your confidence if you lose the weight but in an area you didn't expect and the fit isn't right. I tried the motivation wardrobe thing it doesn't work as well as clothes that fit and look good right now. I actually plan on buying new clothes and keeping the receipts so if I lose the weight I can just return them for ones that do fit.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Don't buy too much! I had bought what I thought were pretty small sizes. Gained too much weight to wear them. Started losing and was at my fabulous wardrobe size for about a hot minute. Bypassed that size before I even got to wear anything. Now I have an entire closet of expensive things I can't wear or that really can't be altered. Trying to figure out where to sell considering most things still have tags on them. It makes me to sick to look at and know how much money gone forever.

Don't make that mistake - buy a thing or two that makes you feel good, so you don't feel in frumpy clothes while you are losing. But hold up on the new wardrobe until you are at a size where you will stay.

Because when you lose....you need new EVERYTHING - bras, underwear, pajamas, jackets, raincoats, jeans, workout clothes...
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I have lost 45 pounds since January. If I had done this, I would have been VERY disappointed. My pants size has dropped six sizes - from a 14 to an 8. HOWEVER, I am still wearing the exact same shirt size. I would have been very sad had I purchased a bunch of new tops and still not have been able to wear them. You never know how or where you will lose first.
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've never bought a whole wardrobe but I have bought something really nice and special and I CANT wait to shrink into it! I take it out and look at it when I'm feeling like I want to eat the whole kitchen! LOL
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Better, I belive, to put the money for a new outfit into a special savings account ... like in the amounts you would be spending on that wardrobe as if you were buying them piece by piece now ... that way you can go shopping with a big wad of cash and get fitted properly for your new size. Plus, the clothes can then also be selected to coordinate better to give you a full wardrobe that works well together.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    With 60 lbs to lose, you will be going through many sizes as you get smaller and it will take a year or more. Instead of buying "goal size" clothes now, buy pieces in sizes that fit as you get smaller. That way you have clothes that fit well and make you feel good over the coming months.

Weight loss takes time and commitment. I found that feeling like I was dressing my best through all the pounds, rather than like a schlub in baggy/ill-fitting clothes, was a great motivator.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Not a good idea.
    Ladies clothes vary from shop to shop. Wait and enjoy shopping and making sure each item fits well and looks good
    When I buy work clothes I have more skirts and dresses. My old work clothes where all trousers.
    What you like might change. I find being smaller than I was I have more choice now.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    New cloths are a strong motivator for me. Every so often - when I've shrunk to the point that my cloths do not fit well anymore - I pick up one or two new things. Also, I look for new athletic clothing to support my growing interest in active pass times - work out shirts, cycling shorts, shoes, jerseys, running shirts and shorts, sneakers especially.

I find these things really motivating.

Best of luck with meeting your health goals,
    -S
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,000 Member
    Options
    I went back into my skinny wardrobe, and fortunately I had kept some of it.

But I did not, and would not, buy clothes on spec that they might fit me eventually.

One of the things I've discovered now that I "fit" back into my skinny wardrobe is that my shape has changed over the last few years. I might weigh the same, but some things have sagged and I've got a whole lot of muscle to deal with in other areas.

So, for example, I had a small collection of sleeveless tops I really liked. I'm lighter now than when I last wore them, but the arm holes are too tight now. My arms have sagged.

I didn't keep any pants from back in the day, fortunately, because I'm having a terrible time finding pants to fit. I've put on quite a bit of quad muscle from climbing stairs and cycling up hills.

Instead, I bought stuff a new piece now and then as I lost weight ... I could try it on, and know that it fit and looked all right for then. :)
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    You don't know what size you're going to be. I thought I'd be a 10 at the end of my journey, because that's where I was ages ago. Sizes have changed and so has my body. I just fit into size 10 skinny jeans and I'm still obese by BMI. I have a lot more to lose. I have no idea what that's going to be size wise. To me getting into the next size is enough. I make sure to get all of the too big clothes out of the house. Knowing I had clothes in bigger sizes made it much less uncomfortable to regain weight.