Going Camping in a couple weeks and won't be able to log!

Options
So I will be going camping, I will be gone from a Friday to Monday, I plan on writing and keeping track of everything I eat while I am there and adding it when I get back but i'm REALLY nervous about not literally logging my food, should I make up my meal plans and log them before I go and make any changes when I get back or just wing it?

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Writing them down is an AWESOME idea! Make sure you keep your phone on you to use the calculator so you can keep track.
    If you don't know the EXACT values of stuff, I'd recommend rounding up. Better safe than sorry. [:
    And stay active! Help get firewood, go for hikes, etc.

And most importantly, have fun!!!
    I'm super jealous. :D
  • cassmsta
    cassmsta Posts: 75
    Options
    O we plan on doing tons of quading, Frisbee, swimming, hiking, forest golf, lol and tons of other activities, so I guess ill jot down hoe many calories I will burn with some of these exercises aswell, anyone have any ideas for food to bring, ill have a cooler so anything goes.
  • hush7hush
    Options
    Fruit and veggies, of course!
    Maybe stuff to make your own wraps?!
    Like whole wheat tortillas, turkey, and veggies. Yumm. [:

But fruit and veggies will help keep you hydrated too!
    Baby carrots and watermelon are my favories for days I'm going to be super-active!
  • DragonSkip
    DragonSkip Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I always know what my main meals are going to be before I go camping because I have a bad habit of forgetting things so if I don't have a detailed list, well.... So you could enter it all ahead of time and get a rough estimate. I do this when I'm not sure how many calories I will be eating for a meal or need to save for a meal, that way I know where I need to make changes. I also do this when I work because I don't have time to log those days.
  • DragonSkip
    DragonSkip Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Saw a recipe for inside out smores somewhere on the internet today. Basically you cut the marshmellow, cram in some chocolate chips and teddy grams, press the cut together and spear it in the uncut direction. I bake muffins ahead of time to take, sausages, lots of veggies with harder skins or that don't wilt easily, sandwich supplies, snacks, rice cakes or chips, and whatever that strikes me while in the store. I also take aluminum foil and make foil pouches to cook almost everything. I usually am only cooking for two though so makes things easier.
  • cassmsta
    Options
    OoO The tin pouches sound like a great Idea could I cook chicken breast and baby carrots in there? I will be eating separately from everyone else for the most part, my fiance will eat what everyone else is eating, we go as a group with two other couple who have two kids, Roy and I do not have children, and we will supply a meal for them, and a snack works out for us. Mind telling me how you cook things in foil?
  • hush7hush
    Options
    Ohohohoh, and if you like, little packages of tuna. [: Yummmmm.
  • madnorth
    madnorth Posts: 7
    Options
    Have you got a smartphone? I log all my meals through the app either iphone or andriod.
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It's high in sodium, but turkey dogs/bratwurst is a staple around here.

I also make turkey spaghetti for the kids but only eat about 1/4 cup of noodles. That''s an easy camp meal.

Have fun! I agree that writing it down will help ( a lot of studies suggest that just writing it down and being more conscious of what you eat helps you be healthier).

Have fun!
  • cassmsta
    Options
    O like the ones in the foil like packs that are in the pantry aisle? like tuna steaks?
  • cassmsta
    Options
    I plan on bringing veggie dogs and burgers so I don't feel left out hahaha.
  • cassmsta
    Options
    I I have a Crackberry but I most likely will not have service out in the middle of nowhere, and I don't wanna be caught unprepared. It would be so nice if I did tho!
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I feel the same, i'm going to Mallorca next week for a week and i am a little concerned, eating out every day. But as long as i spend a couple of hours in the pool then it should balance out and it's only for 1 week right.
  • cassmsta
    Options
    I hear you, I know im probably going to go over, but at least if I control as many aspects as I can it wont be as bad, not only do I have to worry about food I also have to worry about the booze!
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Whats the worst that could happen... you gain a few lbs? enjoy the trip limit the damage as much as you can by keeping active but don't get too hung up on the calories. you're doing great in the big picture and you will continue to do great when you get back.
  • cassmsta
    Options
    part if me wants to just fallow my estimated BMR which is: 1,836 calories/day, so in theory I wouldn't lose any weight but I would gain it right? and with all the exercise I plan on doing I should be able to eat and drink whatever I want in moderation and keeping a journal I should be ok? anyone have any thoughts on this?
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Same boat. I'm going to a festival in a few days. I'm taking it as a challenge to see how well I can behave without checking calories on MFP
  • cassmsta
    Options
    Well I have already started planning out my meals, I know it is a little early but i do really want to be prepared, and if i spend this much work at it, then changes of me wasting it are slim.