Will walking only make a difference?

Options
Hi, I'm trying to lose some belly fat but whenever I tried to do some weights or attend any gym, I soon stopped and felt bored. On the other hand, walking is a favorite activity for me which u can do for long time. My question is, if I do only walking, will that have any positive impact on my weigh-losing efforts?

Replies

• pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    It will help of course, but you can't target where you lose fat from unfortunately.

It's like trying to dry a sponge when part of it is still wet.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise, and will help you to lose weight if the cals you spend is more compared to what you gain. A note: there is no exercise that targets belly fat. NONE. My advice, do the exercise that you like otherwise you will get bored and drop (happened already)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yes, it will have a positive impact on your weigh-losing efforts ... especially if you walk briskly and include hills and stairs.

Go for hikes in the mountains, if you can, for some variety. Walk briskly up and down beaches, on sand, or in the winter, through snow.

If you've got winter where you are, you might think about snowshoes and cross-country skis.

And if you want to add in something else ... try cycling as well. You can also do that for a long time ... and see scenery ... and get fresh air and sunshine. :)
  • omnisis
    omnisis Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight just fine with ZERO exercise at all as long as you are consistently consuming less calories than you need. Of course any extra activity above your base level of daily activity helps. As I am about to undergo back surgery and have been very limited in my own activity for the past few months, walking has become my primary form of "exercise". By lowering my daily caloric intake and adding a walking routine I have been steadily losing some extra weight I accumulated due to a more sedentary pattern I fell into. I have used my limitation to my advantage by planning walks with people and in places that make me happy. If walking works for you by all means keep doing it (consistently in diet, much as in life, is key). Walking won't really do anything to change your natural body comp that much (muscle mass to fat ratio) but it does burn calories like any other activity and it is easy and can be done practically anywhere.
  • LoraMartyn
    LoraMartyn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Walking is my only exercise, have lost 35 pounds so far! The most important thing is to make sure you stay within your calorie limit :)
  • sinbos
    sinbos Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Walking is the best! (Well for me at last)
    I lost just fine with a lot of walking and a slight caloric deficit. While other exercises just bore me or kill my knees.
    Im well aware that some kind of strength training would benefit me its also better to do a kind of sport you like instead of none.
  • frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great way to boost your deficit. I try to get at least 10000 steps a day and then do more on my inactive/ no exercise days. Personally, I set my MFP activity level to sedentary and then use an activity tracker (UP) linked to MFP. It's great to see those extra calories, which are often used towards a biscuit with my cup of tea :-)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Any physical activity will make a difference. This is the beauty of CICO - just monitor you caloric intake (food) and your output (activity). To maintain a deficit simply eat less and move more. You don't have to crush it at the gym to lose weight.

Go slowly and set realistic goals you will be doing for a lifetime. Hit these goals and set new ones higher every time. You'll be amazed where this leads you.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    A lot of people would be better off if they walked instead of ran. I've started learning about correct running form, and while I have a long way to achieve it - I can spot bad form, and let me tell you........no wonder so many people are in pain from running.....
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Yes most definately. I burn on average probably 1000 calories a day just walking. Walking is actually really good exercise, not going to make you cardiovascularly all that fit but it will burn calories for sure.
  • N1keS0cc8rRunne7
    N1keS0cc8rRunne7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Yes most definately. I burn on average probably 1000 calories a day just walking. Walking is actually really good exercise, not going to make you cardiovascularly all that fit but it will burn calories for sure.

well...tbh, it's no where near as effective as jogging and of course running :D
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    Options
    All I do is walk, well, also stairs,but that's all I got. I loathe going to the gym. No way am I lifting weights. I don't do sports. So I walk and so far it's just fine.