Hungry after Weight Workout

Hi I'm a newbie and did free weights this morning. I noticed today and last time I lifted (kettleball class - even more strenuous) I was ravenous all day! It's 1:30 and I've eaten 900 calories, staying in my nutritional guidelines, and I'm starving! Yes I'm drinking lots of water.

So how many extra calories, roughly can you allow for a weight training day? I'm 189 lbs today...I know it can't be exact..what does everyone do?

Thank you for your suggestions!

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I don't typically add calories for weight lifting - just cardio intense workouts. Having said that, what calorie deficit are you aiming for? Or how many calories per day do you eat?
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    I'm always starving on Deadlifts day, so I make sure to get a lot of protein and eat a little bit bigger breakfast. I don't necessarily eat more calories, I just change how I use them.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    PS..I'm short and have a desk job, so I only get 1280/day before exercise.
  • nikki8412
    nikki8412 Posts: 108 Member
    Same here! I decrease carbs and add more protein without upping the calorie intake more than 150 cals . If I'm starving after I eat avocado, eggs, egg whites, unflavored whey protein (in water), or a combo of these. Carbs are the worst.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I work out at night, so my hunger increases the next day. Ditto on the added protein.
  • Javachipgirl
    Javachipgirl Posts: 27 Member
    I'm a desk jockey too! So my intake is 1280 and I run about a 500 deficit -- I think-- that's something I haven't really paid attention too because I've been more focused on staying on track for the intake calorie and carb ratio - and getting a daily workout in! I'm eating about 100g carbs a day. I'm going over 40g in fats, and having trouble hitting my 128g protein. But I'm tweaking the diet with lots more fish and protein/pb2 shakes to help with that
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    I find I'm only hungry when I concentrate on "stabilizing my core", aka sucking in my gut while being able to breathe normally. No core stabilizing, no hunger. I do time my workouts to be just before a meal or snack.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    I'm always hungry after weightlifting, but strangely never after cardio. I just plan my workout before a meal, typically right before dinner.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    I'm almost always hungry. I think the only time I'm not hungry is when I treat myself to a big meal on my long run day. But if I ate every time I was hungry, I'd be back where I started. Coffee and green tea help a little. I also chew sugarless gum after meals to ward off cravings. When I was losing weight, I rarely ate back calories that I burned through exercise.
  • Javachipgirl
    Javachipgirl Posts: 27 Member
    Yup I'm working to avoid eating my exercise calories. That was a bad habit I had. But so far, most days, it appears I have broken the habit.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    5x5 and 3x5 lifting both made me ravenous.

i haven't been that kind of hungry doing wendler 5/3/1 though. it's a little bit disconcerting . . . especially because i still subconsciously expect to be capable of eating for someone twice my size on the day after my deadlift workout.

i'm making the progress and actually feel like i'm developing more genuine strength with wendler, but it just doesn't seem to hit me in the hungries the way the sets-across format did.