Half Marathon Training Plan - recomendations?

Options
Does anyone know of a good 1/2 marathon training plan. I am completely clueless about how to go about doing this.

I would really like an app that will guide your runs like Zen Lab's C25K app. I finished Zen Lab's C25K program and 10K program. These apps got me from couch slob to being able to run 10K at a 11 min/mile pace. I downloaded their 1/2 marathon training program today -- It is not quite what I need. The program works up from couch -> walking/running a 1/2 marathon at a run 4min/walk 1min pace. I don't need to start back at the beginning!

Do most people typically walk/run when they run a 1/2 or full marathon? I don't know where to start -- HELP

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Skip to the part where you're already at. You don't need to start at day 1.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you're already running then you might want an intermediate plan not beginner?
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Hal Higdon training plans. It has a variety of options from beginner to advanced. It's not an app, but it gives you a training plan to use. I make edits based on my schedule and what works for me. I used it for lesser distances and won Female Masters in my 1st 10K (7:45 min/mi pace) and a 15K trail race. My 1st half is in 2 weeks, and I'm planning on running the whole thing. My goal is an 8:30 pace, but we'll see...

My cousin who finished the Iron Man last year recommended it to me. Good luck!!
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    The recommendation is to increase mileage by no more than 10% each week. When I was training I would usually run 4 times a week. 1 run was my long run where I would add the 10% each week until I got up to about 12 miles. The other 3 for the week were 3 or 4 miles. These were HARD runs. I pushed it on these runs because I wanted to be faster. Once I got up to 12 miles for my long run I started making my other runs longer, building up to 6 miles.

I've said this several times, the best advice I ever got about running "the best way to get better at running is to run."

Build on your 6 mile long run so that your legs get used to doing that much at one time. Work on running several times during the week to work on overall endurance. You should naturally get faster as you go along. If you don't then you're probably not pushing hard enough.

Last piece of advice - if it hurts like a real injury, let your body rest. Overuse injuries are very common in running. A coupe days or a week off now can save you from having to give up your overall 1/2 marathon goals. Trust me on that. I tried to run through shin splints and ended up having to stop running for 2 months before a race. Came back strong the next year though!
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    The Hal Higdon Novice 2 Plan should be a good plan in which to follow.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of a good 1/2 marathon training plan. I am completely clueless about how to go about doing this.

I would really like an app that will guide your runs like Zen Lab's C25K app. I finished Zen Lab's C25K program and 10K program. These apps got me from couch slob to being able to run 10K at a 11 min/mile pace. I downloaded their 1/2 marathon training program today -- It is not quite what I need. The program works up from couch -> walking/running a 1/2 marathon at a run 4min/walk 1min pace. I don't need to start back at the beginning!

Do most people typically walk/run when they run a 1/2 or full marathon? I don't know where to start -- HELP

I did hal higdons Novie 1 plan, it worked for me. I completed my first road race as a half marathon in 2hrs 2 mins.