Question about squats for the ladies.

Options
2»

Replies

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    FWIW I'm roughly 24 hours in at lifting weights with a trainer.

Usually an hour twice a week and I don't squat every single time.

Started with goblet squats, back squats w/empty bar and just now at 70 pounds for 4 sets of 12. Could probably do a higher weight, but for lower reps.

Personally my first big is 135.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    The problem with weight lifting programs is that they are excruciatingly boring to me. So I made up my own routine that I find fun and keeps me interested. Also I have severe scoliosis and a big hump on one side of my back, so I will not do any bending over in public because that is a big phobia of mine. So some of the lifts in programs like deadlifts aren't going to happen.

has the doctor said its ok to be putting that much weight on your back ? i'm curious because my son has severe scoliosis (70 recently fused to about 15), and although the dr said he can do all the activities other young men can do , i'd question the idea of him trying to steady a bunch of weight on his back without being structurally sound. How is it with the 125 you are squatting, any issues ? I'm sorry you are self conscious of bending over, he went through that, he lived in big baggy sweatshirts for years. I hope you can get past that, maybe deadlift with your back towards the wall or when the gym is less crowded, or just be proud of who you are and the body you have. i've been trying to get my son to lift for years but he wont and i worry about his long term spine health if he doesn't stay strong. Be careful, i dont know any heavy lifters with severe scolio, so i wonder and worry about the dangers of it. I do know a few that are into yoga and general fitness and staying strong has helped them long term.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    The problem with weight lifting programs is that they are excruciatingly boring to me. So I made up my own routine that I find fun and keeps me interested. Also I have severe scoliosis and a big hump on one side of my back, so I will not do any bending over in public because that is a big phobia of mine. So some of the lifts in programs like deadlifts aren't going to happen.

has the doctor said its ok to be putting that much weight on your back ? i'm curious because my son has severe scoliosis (70 recently fused to about 15), and although the dr said he can do all the activities other young men can do , i'd question the idea of him trying to steady a bunch of weight on his back without being structurally sound. How is it with the 125 you are squatting, any issues ? I'm sorry you are self conscious of bending over, he went through that, he lived in big baggy sweatshirts for years. I hope you can get past that, maybe deadlift with your back towards the wall or when the gym is less crowded, or just be proud of who you are and the body you have. i've been trying to get my son to lift for years but he wont and i worry about his long term spine health if he doesn't stay strong. Be careful, i dont know any heavy lifters with severe scolio, so i wonder and worry about the dangers of it. I do know a few that are into yoga and general fitness and staying strong has helped them long term.

Lamar Gant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSVqlh7ePb8

Check out his deadlift.

Here is squat as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emBJoiFPa3c
  • Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    How are you squatting with weight at planet fitness?

I started with the empty bar (45lbs) on July 4 and am up to 130lbs squatting twice a week. 3x a week on a good week.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I started with a 45lb bar.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    What weight did you start with? Where did you end up and how long did it take to get there? I just started squatting with weights (before weights I just squatted with a 10lb ball) a couple weeks ago. I started at 65lbs and today I am at 125lbs. I just feel like that's a really low weight when I read all these posts from women on here that are squatting well over 200lbs. So I'm just wondering how long it took to get that heavy? Thanks!

Started with 70 lbs. on a Smith machine (including the resistance) - could do 3 x 10

Now I do - 110 lbs. 1 x 15, 160 lbs. 1 x 10 and 130 lbs. 1 x 12 (a wide stance set and then a front stance set to hit all the muscles)

I max out around 200-210 lbs. for 2-3 reps, but I haven't tried to test my PR in quite a while. Maybe I'll do that this weekend after I work in some barbell squats. I started lifting about a year ago and that's what it took to get to this progression level. Stay dedicated and you'll see results. I still feel like my weights are low and like I'm capable of so much more but I want to start focusing more-so on mastering my balance with barbell squats (have a reconstructed foot, long story) before going higher since it's so much more beneficial
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I started with just body weight until I had form down perfectly, then I switched to the squat rack and empty bar, and gradually worked my way up from there.
    How many sets and reps are you doing?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

Lamar Gant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSVqlh7ePb8

Check out his deadlift.

Here is squat as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emBJoiFPa3c

I'd also mention Rhonda Wong. Recently competed at IPF Classic worlds in Texas and did quite well. Absolute sweetheart as well