Healthier spaghetti recipes?

Options
Estefani_H
Estefani_H Posts: 17 Member
So i was wondering if there was any healthier spaghetti recipes out there?

Replies

• aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Substitute the spaghetti for spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles! I even like zucchini noodles better than actual spaghetti! You can have a pretty guilt free large plate, because both options are very low cal and are servings of veggies!
  • aliem
    Options
    Pro tip - most recipes have you try to open the spaghetti squash before roasting. This is a huge pain. Just take a knife and stab the whole thing a few times and bake at 350 for about 30-60 minutes (yes. this is a huge window, but it depends on the size and how ripe it is) until the squash is soft. Then pull it out and cut open.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A lot less spaghetti and a lot more sauce.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    shiritaki noodles! They have virtually no calories. I did that with spaghetti sauce and some sprinkle cheese. Oh, it was so good.
    I had these noodles years ago, and they weren't good at all. But they've made a lot of improvement, and to me it is just like spaghetti.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I second what several people have said! I tend to just do a big plate of zucchini noodles! Totally guilt free!
    If you really love spaghetti noodles (like me) you could portion out a serving of noodles and cook them and do like a hybrid dish of spaghetti noodles and zucchini noodles! That way you get the experience of the actual noodles as well as bulking it up with the zoodles!
  • Estefani_H
    Estefani_H Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Do the zucchini noodles taste good as spaghetti?
  • tomlincampbell
    tomlincampbell Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    instead of a traditional sauce dice some fresh tomatoes,onions, roasted red peppers, garlic and basil and serve over (the suggested zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash...i know my wife's diet has her stay away from yellow squash so i don't chance it with spaghetti squash)

for an added twist heat and then blend the "sauce", add some diced grilled chicken or ground lamb and toss with your "noodles"
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Estefani_H wrote: »
    Do the zucchini noodles taste good as spaghetti?

In my opinion, no. However, once you have it all sauced up, it's a great substitute and very tasty! I prefer to have a larger portion of something and splurge on the unhealthy option on occasion rather than have a tiny portion more often. That's just me though!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't understand your question.

Zucchini, shiritari noodles and the like are not spaghetti and don't taste like spaghetti. If you want a lower calories SPAGHETTI recipe, just use a lower calorie sauce on top. Whole grain pasta has less calories and is more filling too (and I find it tastier).

Spaghetti squash and zucchinis are good in their own way but it's not spaghetti.
  • Alissaowens84
    Alissaowens84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat spaghetti noodles
    Turkey meat
    Ragu/your favorite spaghetti sauce
    BOOM Yum!
  • izzyrhunt
    izzyrhunt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Black bean spaghetti is amazing. It's probably available at your local store and online. The type I have had contained over 20 grams of protein and 180 calories per serving
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I haven't one that truly appeals to me, so I've made the decision to enjoy the real stuff but only once every couple of weeks and I make room for it in my caloric budget. That said, it's never in a cream sauce or parm'ed (smothered in cheese and baked). I've found I can be perfectly happy with the 2 oz portion of the dry noodles (200 caloires) if I pair them with an abundance of roasted or sauteed vegetables instead of a traditional pasta sauce.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Healthier or low cal?

I say... Man, if you're gonna have spaghetti, have spaghetti. This vegetable substitution stuff, while liked by some and well meaning... it ain't spaghetti. It's zucchini with sauce on top.

Here's an awesome (by my taste buds anyway) sauce recipe:

1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
    8-16 oz can diced tomatoes (depending how much you like tomatoes or how runny you like your sauce)
    1/4 tsp. chili powder
    1.5 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/4 tsp. paprika
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1 tsp. parsley

Mix that with 99% lean turkey (if you're into meat) and wala. It's definitely a little runnier than store bought but it's fresh and zesty and loses the high calorie fat content and added sugars. It's pretty light.

The real trick is those noodles. They're healthy enough (rice pasta is amazing, btw) but carb loaded. Maybe go for half - 3/4 serving of the noodles.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like using Monte Bene no sugar added marinara sauce - usually the tomato & basil. Sprinkle on nutritional yeast for my "cheese." Mrs. Dash no sodium italian seasoning and/or tomato, basil, and garlic seasonings.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Vegetable spirals and smelly fish noodles are not spaghetti in anyway shape or form.
  • melva_hudson
    melva_hudson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't miss spaghetti anymore after baking spaghetti squash. It's soooo good! You'll
  • Diane1089
    Diane1089 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How do I bake a spagetti squash. Never done it before , but sounds really interesting. Love to try it
  • aliem
    Options
    Diane1089 wrote: »
    How do I bake a spagetti squash. Never done it before , but sounds really interesting. Love to try it

You should see my comment on September 12th on this thread. Good luck!
  • kangaspratt
    kangaspratt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't want to give up spaghetti either! I weigh it out and add a big side salad so my plate still looks full. I'm veggie so quorn makes bolognaise low fat. For a quick and easy pasta I stir in low fat cream chest with loads of veggies cooked in garlic, herbs and black pepper. Gonna try the spiralised courgette....but to pad out my pasta instead of replacing it. Good luck. :-)
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I do eat carbs so I have regular pasta, but has anyone ever tried isopasta? I have not. Just wondered how it is.