Eating healthy on a VERY tight budget! tips please

Options
clarech
clarech Posts: 157 Member
Hi just wondering if anyone has any tips for buying healthy on a budget. It seems so difficult especially as my partner buys quite a lot of junk and isn't to supportive I tend to have to buy frozen or tinned veg and have about £15 a week max to spend on me after all the baby stuff and junk so things like meat are very rare in my diet. Any tips would be great.

Replies

• ifeelsqueaky
    ifeelsqueaky Posts: 193
    Options
    Markets are great for getting cheap veg - we have one in Birmingham where the veg gets sold at ridiculously cheap prices but you have to use it up pretty quickly because it goes off quicker. Other than that there is nothing wrong with it though :smile:
  • mhncaldwell
    mhncaldwell Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Eat beans and lentils! Very inexpensive, high in fiber, and good protein too.
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    This is a hard one. My grocery bills have gone UP since I started eating healthy. I think there are cheap veggies and fruit out there, but I tend toward berries, which are expensive.

Oatmeal in bulk, is cheap and has lots of fiber.

I buy the store brand meats--- but oddly, turkey is more expensive than beef! P*sses me off :)

I also buy store brand yogurt....

Hope this helps...
  • BeastModeAlways
    BeastModeAlways Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound common sense I suppose.

Eating to reduce weight (not sure if that is your goal but from your signature I will guess yes), is cheaper than eating with no goal.

First, adopt the mindset of making hunger a FRIEND. Every time you feel that nagging hunger, it means your body is LOSING WEIGHT. I have learned to love the feeling of being a touch hungry all the time. I also found that feeling this way leaves me "primed", and I mean in a primal, ready to lift heavy objects, run my *kitten* off, of swing a sledge hammer at a tire kind of primal.

Second, no more empty calories. Empty calories are junk food that you spend money on but you get no health return. Cut em out, and you save money.

As for your partner, break the partnership as far as food goes. Tell her no junk on the joint bill. If she doesn't want to support your diet, FINE, but you are not obligated to buy her chips and chocolate bars either! Its a two way street right? She won't support your diet, you won't support her gluttony. Stand your ground on this one.

Third, eat smaller portions. You do not actually have to change your diet to lose weight. People can eat less and less of whatever they normally eat, via smaller portions, to lose weight. A nice side effect is you end up with left overs when you cook, which becomes tomorrows lunch. This will save you lots of money.

Develop a go-to snack. If you are surrounded by junk food, as it sounds like, you need a go to alternative. Keep some fruit you LOVE around at ALL TIMES. Ideally something with a good dose of fiber in it, but most fruit has that. Everytime you get that junk food wantings, drink a HUGE glass of water, and eat that go to snack you have. 4 pounds of apples is cheaper than a big bag of chips, and more filling.

I hope this has helped.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Buy meat when it's on sale and freeze it. You can also freeze berries and some cheeses. Plan your meals/snacks around the weekly specials at your grocery store. Try to avoid buying meals/snacks on a whim (they're pricey and probably less healthy than what you would get at home). Nuts and some other things are cheapest (in the stores around here, at least) in the bulk section of the store and more expensive in the baking and snack aisles. Good luck. And remember that the healthy choices now will pay off big time later.
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I really feel for youYour partner sounds very selfish, have you thought about asking him for the money he spends on junk so that you can buy fresh, healthy food? Frozen veggies are actually sometimes fresher than the others because they are snap frozen so you have no problems there, I guess the other good fairly cheap alternative would be chicken and vege soup, costs next to nothing and you can freeze it....if you like tuna, you could do a tuna pasta bake, hope this helps and I'm glad you have support here on MFP
  • clarech
    Options

Eating to reduce weight (not sure if that is your goal but from your signature I will guess yes), is cheaper than eating with no goal.

First, adopt the mindset of making hunger a FRIEND. Every time you feel that nagging hunger, it means your body is LOSING WEIGHT. I have learned to love the feeling of being a touch hungry all the time. I also found that feeling this way leaves me "primed", and I mean in a primal, ready to lift heavy objects, run my *kitten* off, of swing a sledge hammer at a tire kind of primal.

Second, no more empty calories. Empty calories are junk food that you spend money on but you get no health return. Cut em out, and you save money.

As for your partner, break the partnership as far as food goes. Tell her no junk on the joint bill. If she doesn't want to support your diet, FINE, but you are not obligated to buy her chips and chocolate bars either! Its a two way street right? She won't support your diet, you won't support her gluttony. Stand your ground on this one.

Third, eat smaller portions. You do not actually have to change your diet to lose weight. People can eat less and less of whatever they normally eat, via smaller portions, to lose weight. A nice side effect is you end up with left overs when you cook, which becomes tomorrows lunch. This will save you lots of money.

Develop a go-to snack. If you are surrounded by junk food, as it sounds like, you need a go to alternative. Keep some fruit you LOVE around at ALL TIMES. Ideally something with a good dose of fiber in it, but most fruit has that. Everytime you get that junk food wantings, drink a HUGE glass of water, and eat that go to snack you have. 4 pounds of apples is cheaper than a big bag of chips, and more filling.

I hope this has helped.

Thanks for your advice hunger is definatly a regular with me at the moment to the point my other half thinks I want to kill him lol. I'm off shopping tomorrow so will take all your advice onboard.
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I watch for specials at the grocery store. For example when boneless skinless chicken breast goes on sale I buy a bunch of it.. you can get six breasts for $10 instead of two for $7 when they are full price, I also cut them into proper portions and put them each in an individual baggy before I put it in the freezer. That way I only have to take out what I need and not worry about waisting.

Also I try not to be picky. If there's a 12 pack of yogurt on sale for $3, it may not be my favorite but I buy it anyways.

Good Luck :)
  • carina_75
    carina_75 Posts: 88
    Options

I hope this has helped.

I like!! :)
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Lentils, beans, chickpeas etc can all be added to dishes to bulk them up. Onions and tomatoes are my staples when on a budget, along with rice. Herbs and spices make the biggest difference.
    You can always ask at your supermarket to see when they replenish Tge shelves (often it's the same day that they reduce old stock)
  • jrolfes
    jrolfes Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    First, adopt the mindset of making hunger a FRIEND. Every time you feel that nagging hunger, it means your body is LOSING WEIGHT. I have learned to love the feeling of being a touch hungry all the time.

I LOVE THIS!!!! Thanks!
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My hubby has just found a job 2 years after being made redundant so I am very used to shopping on a budget.

Frozen veg is just as good nutitionally as fresh just not as crunchy. I buy shops own smartprice or value. A lot of £1 shops sell food now, not neccesarily healthy but staples meaning you save money and have extra for you.

I don't eat a lot of fruit but shops own frozen chickren is uaually fantastic value. Tesco do 2kg of chicken thighs and drumsticks for £3.50 and there is loads in there...last me a month.

I go to the market on friday as their fruit is cheaper than supermarkets. Also aldi and lidl but you have to know your prices as these can be the same price as the big 4.

I avoid morrisons like the plague cos their food is too nice but very expensive.

Frozen own brand prawns and white fish fillets can be good value and sometimes iceland (argh!) has good offers on natural fish.

hope this ramble helps

martyxxx

ps slap your partner and remind them they will die first eating loads of junk...lol might push em into joining you!
  • sweebeesmom
    sweebeesmom Posts: 148
    Options
    Ground turkey varies in price a LOT. I won't buy it unless it's under $3 a package, sometimes it's up to $7 a package.. it's ridiculous. Also bulk dried items (beans, lentils.. etc...) very cheap. I get all my vegetables at a mexican market by my house. They have specials like 7lbs of carrots for $1, or a bag of spinach for 99 cents. I try to stay away from the big brand grocery stores where it's four times as expensive unless I need something specific.
  • CynthiaS
    CynthiaS Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    eating healthy on a small budget is hard I have started to use coupons a friend showed me how & I found that every little bit help if I can save money on house hold items it leaves me more money for fruits & veggies I hope this helps try redplum.com, coupons.com
    raining hot coupons.com :)
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I gave up buying stir fry, couldn't use it quick enough! Now I buy the offers on at the supermarket and tinned stuff but I'm with ya it can get really expensive. Buy jacket potatoes and eggs. Tesco do a salad cheese which is 50p at the moment. It's like feta but 36 calories. Only get the turkey that is on reduced shelf and buy lots of fish. Hope this helps :-)
  • clarech
    Options
    My hubby has just found a job 2 years after being made redundant so I am very used to shopping on a budget.

Frozen veg is just as good nutitionally as fresh just not as crunchy. I buy shops own smartprice or value. A lot of £1 shops sell food now, not neccesarily healthy but staples meaning you save money and have extra for you.

I don't eat a lot of fruit but shops own frozen chickren is uaually fantastic value. Tesco do 2kg of chicken thighs and drumsticks for £3.50 and there is loads in there...last me a month.

I go to the market on friday as their fruit is cheaper than supermarkets. Also aldi and lidl but you have to know your prices as these can be the same price as the big 4.

I avoid morrisons like the plague cos their food is too nice but very expensive.

Frozen own brand prawns and white fish fillets can be good value and sometimes iceland (argh!) has good offers on natural fish.

hope this ramble helps

martyxxx

ps slap your partner and remind them they will die first eating loads of junk...lol might push em into joining you!

I've told him that and he doesn't care which is nice :(
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I know it's not a popular opinion, but a great way to reduce your bill is to cut back on your variety. While healthy option do tend to be pricier, I find I save money when I do low carb, as my variety is greatly reduced. I stick to on sale chicken, turkey and fish, and buy lettuce, carrots, radish, celery, onions, peppers and cucumber for daily salads. I spend more on olive oil, but save on 4 different kinds of salad dressings. :) Then switch up your menu every so often. But save variety for a weekly switch, rather than a daily one.

I'm sorry about the hubs. That def. makes it more difficult, as you are having to buy two different menus! :( Good luck!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Hi just wondering if anyone has any tips for buying healthy on a budget. It seems so difficult especially as my partner buys quite a lot of junk and isn't to supportive I tend to have to buy frozen or tinned veg and have about £15 a week max to spend on me after all the baby stuff and junk so things like meat are very rare in my diet. Any tips would be great.

Since you are in the UK ... head over to Moneysavingexpert forums, hunt out Weezl74's many threads. Last I heard she was doing feed a family of four healthily on £100 a month so that is way less per person than you have. It was not meant to be a long term diet because it's obviously restrictive, but you might get some ideas on meals. Also consider growing your own fruit or veg if you have any outside space and even going bramble picking in the summer.

If your partner is going to be a complete idiot can you agree a budget together? Pay out all the bills and all the baby stuff, agree a budget to cover ALL the groceries and ALL lunches/ snacks out of the home then divide it in two. He can buy junk with his half if he wants, you have a fair share of what remains to feed yourself. If he won't agree to that you might suggest relationship counselling because frankly he is selfish beyond belief. To enforce the budget neither of you carry bank cards, just take out cash for groceries at the start of each week and split it.

I am also in the UK and have priced up some foods for comparison. Cheap ones include organ meats like pork liver (£1 a kilo), canned oily fish like pilchards and mackerel (<£1 a 400g can), Asda Smartprice multipack eggs (9p each), dried beans and lentils, brown rice, porridge oats, pearl barley. Frozen veggies like sweetcorn, green beans and broccoli, canned tomatoes, frozen rhubarb, fresh pineapple, Smartprice/ Value mixed dried fruit.

I live alone and still buy multipacks of all sorts - 4kg red onions from Tesco (£2), frozen veggies and rhubarb from Farmfoods (3 packs of 750g for £2), Asda Smartprice fresh carrots (2kg for 90p), Aldi whole red cabbage (~65p and well over a kilo) are some of the cheapest. As long as you keep them cool and dry many last for weeks, some you can even chop and freeze yourself. All the fruit and veggies I have listed are 4p to 10p a serving (80g-100g to allow for some waste, dried fruit 30g). I don't eat much root veg or squashes so haven't priced those, you might well get some bargains there.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Frozen is better for you than canned/tinned so hunt for the generic frozen veggies.
    Shop the outside of the store where fresh produce is and try to avoid the middle of the store where processed foods are.
    Buy heads of lettuce instead of packaged lettuce (they last longer and are usualy much cheaper).
    Buying dry beans is usally much cheaper than canned but you have to plan ahead to soak them.
    In the US the bulk sections usually have really cheap dried beans.

Good luck!!! :)