Inconsistencies in food database

Options
I had a 6" sausage and egg white with no cheese on the new multigrain flatbread this morning at Subway. It's pretty comical to see the varying calories/nutrition info in the MFP database

Replies

• Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    That's a 0 calorie meal. Congratulations.
  • mcdonagk
    mcdonagk Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Just select the one that claims to have the fewest calories, great way of keeping the weight down :D
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I just discovered there are no snow peas/snap peas/sugar peas in the database
    How can this even be?
    I *know* snap peas are real
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Snow peas are also real. Sugar peas are probably the same as snap peas since their full name is sugar snap peas.

Yes there is a lot of variation in the database. Some people make inaccurate entries. Perhaps they are simply not ready to handle reality. It isn't too hard to find the one you want or just modify one so it has the right information.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    How can this even be?

Search for "peas edible podded raw" - that is still in the MFP Food Database. It appears unchanged from when MFP entered the data based on the information in the USDA National Nutrient Database.

I would suggest adding the entry sooner than later, before it gets corrupted or deleted by MFP.
  • juliebowman4
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    How can this even be?

Search for "peas edible podded raw" - that is still in the MFP Food Database. It appears unchanged from when MFP entered the data based on the information in the USDA National Nutrient Database.

I would suggest adding the entry sooner than later, before it gets corrupted or deleted by MFP.

What a stupid description for snow peas!
    Ugh. Why can't they just add snow peas?And snap/sugar peas?
    It's not like they are some totally unheard of food item.....

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    How can this even be?

What a stupid description for snow peas!
    Ugh. Why can't they just add snow peas?And snap/sugar peas?
    It's not like they are some totally unheard of food item.....

You can add them if you want.
    The majority of the database is user entered. The USda stuff is entered as the USDA describes it and I'd assume lots of different types of peas with edible pods all have the same calories so the USda lumped them all together.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Different Subways in different countries have different nutrition. But the database is a mess.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The easiest thing, in the long run, is to avoid the main database altogether and build your own using My Foods without sharing with the database. The initial setup takes time but it makes logging so much easier after that.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    11300, Peas, edible-podded, raw
  • RayahEllen
    RayahEllen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Even some of the USDA entered ones are wrong though. I go through and check things against the USDA online database and its amazing how many of those are wrong as well. I have gone through and corrected many so that they will be in "My Foods" from now on and I don't have to search through a billion different nutrition labels every time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    deekring wrote: »
    I had a 6" sausage and egg white with no cheese on the new multigrain flatbread this morning at Subway. It's pretty comical to see the varying calories/nutrition info in the MFP database

Welcome to MFP :laugh:
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Anybody going to claim the 600 calorie clove of garlic.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I miss the asterisk next to things user entered and no asterisk meant it was accurate and usually USDA verified.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options

It wasn't me.
  • juliebowman4
    Options

Fine fine....I forgot to mention 'proscuitto and provolone wrapped....'