Working out when you're sick

Options
I just wanted to get some other people's thoughts on the subject. I still try to do something as long as I'm not running a fever. I usually do Insanity Pulse because its a 20 minute recovery work out so it isn't overly intense but is still challenging.

Do you work out when you are sick? If you do is it a modified lighter work out?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I try not to work out when I'm sick because I don't want to get anyone else at the gym sick.

If I work out at home, I may try to do something low impact but I struggle to do stuff at home anyways so probably not lol
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I hit the ab wheel, pullups, and pushups. Keeps me active and most importantly, keeps me from being thr worst kind of gym *kitten* in existence.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If I'm sick enough to miss work, I skip the workout.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I just wanted to get some other people's thoughts on the subject. I still try to do something as long as I'm not running a fever. I usually do Insanity Pulse because its a 20 minute recovery work out so it isn't overly intense but is still challenging.

Do you work out when you are sick? If you do is it a modified lighter work out?

It depends how sick I really am. Most of the time, I take some extra Vitamin C and push through it, but if I am really under the weather (have a temperature, a bad Lupus flare-up, something contagious, etc.) I'll usually take a break for a day or two. Currently on my second unexpected rest day because I'm having an unusually bad and long flare-up. I would push through, but I want my body to heal and I know that working out probably won't be good for my joints right now, plus I'm bound to get super frustrated and start cursing mid-work out LOL
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Pretty much follow sick in the body, hit it. Sick in the head, maybe sit it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    I don't get sick often, so when I do, I try to take a break. Rest, soup, vitamin c. I'm usually better the next day and can continue as normal. I figure one day of rest and recovery is better than pushing it and getting worse.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    As long as you do it at home, do what feels right.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,414 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Pretty much follow sick in the body, hit it. Sick in the head, maybe sit it.

This.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think the general rule is if you have any kind of fever, chills, flu, definitely do not work out. Your body needs to rest and recover. If it's a head cold you are probably okay to do some things, but stay away from the gym and don't spread germs! But if you feel up to doing some things at home, you are probably okay and maybe even feel a bit better. Listen to your body though. If you need to rest, rest. You don't want to be out longer.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 6 of whatever chest cold bug is going around. Add asthma on top of that and running is out. (My half is 5 weeks away...I don't have time for this!)

I did still hit the free weights twice this week though. Took some meds before I went so I wasn't spreading my germs and wiped down everything I used really well. My lifts sucked and my coordination was off. It was definitely my best workout.