Cardio Vs Weights help!

Options
Hi :) Wonder if anyone can help - I'm looking to lose around 50-60lbs, should I start weight training straight away or focus on cardio first and introduce weight training later? Obviously going to tidy up my eating and have a balanced and healthy diet from the get go. Thanks!

Replies

• grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I say change the diet and start lifting weights.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Another vote for both cardio and weights, but more importantly, does "tidy up my diet" mean eating consistently at a small deficit? Or are you just planning to eat more filling nutritious foods and hope that your appetite adjusts accordingly? If it's plan B, for me this has worked for quite a while but not long enough to get me to goal weight.
  • SillyAnneh
    SillyAnneh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Both at the same time. Cardio conditions your cardiovascular system to be more elastic (more blood flow equals more efficient oxygen delivery to your muscles!), so you won't fatigue as quickly while strength training. Running, biking, swimming, yoga, or even brisk walking (to start with) are great ways to get some cardio. That being said, I have found out the hard and frustrating way that exercise alone won't help you lose weight as efficiently as cleaning up your diet. Do it all together, and you'll be looking and feeling great before you know it!
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I do a workout called Powerwave which kind of incorporates both. Google it :smile: I love it!!
  • minusblindfold25
    minusblindfold25 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking this...
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Rock a combination of weight lifting and high intensity cardio. I mixed both the whole time I was losing my 64 lbs. The key is to keep the pacing quick. You can burn a TON of calories from resistance training. The key is intensity. I did a leg routine this morning and it looked like I had just run a 10K. Felt like it too LOL
  • 22MaiHicka22
    22MaiHicka22 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    FOR ME ,

I started doing cardio only " walking for an hour " then after 5 months I added lifting and strength training .
    If you are overweight like me " no offence " you should take it easy at first or you'd hate the whole idea of working out !

Good luck , hun ^^
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    If you have time, do both. But if you can only do one or the other, lift heavy.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Both

BUT, the most important thing is to do what you like and not overdo it when you start out. You don't want to put yourself in a position where you hate your routine as this means you'll give up. Similarly, you don't want to burn out or injury yourself.

Build up and enjoy the feeling of success when you finish each session. And remember 'you never regret exercising'

Good luck!
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Both without question. They is a huge difference between just losing weight and actually being "fit". Cardio is excellent for your heart. Weight training will help you gain muscle, and look better once you lose the weight so you don't look deflated.

Next time you go to a serious gym look at the people who do nothing but cardio compared to those who do both. There is a big difference. Doing both is critical.

Just my opinion.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I chose one, just lifting, because I hate cardio. But I probably just wouldn't work out if I had to do cardio so for me it works. I would suggest doing both if you can.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Another vote for both. A structured program like Stronglifts 5x5 will make a dramatic difference in your shape as you lose weight and it takes about 30 minutes 3 days a week. Walk or run the other 4 days too boost your cardiovascular system. Done and done.
  • fredericktambunan
    Options
    jnnfrch wrote: »
    Hi :) Wonder if anyone can help - I'm looking to lose around 50-60lbs, should I start weight training straight away or focus on cardio first and introduce weight training later? Obviously going to tidy up my eating and have a balanced and healthy diet from the get go. Thanks!

Just lift

• fatkid1110
    fatkid1110 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi if you have time, I would like some tips to improve my fat loss and muscle gain. Please add me thx!
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Both right from the off. 3 of each if possible per week with 1 rest day. But by far the MOST important thing is what you eat, not what type of exercise you do
  • SoleilxStitch
    SoleilxStitch Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Do both? mix it up and have fun with it :)