believing in myself

Options
I am so discouraged and feeling hopeless. I just dont believe in myself.
Need some help.....

Replies

• Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I believe in you. I really, really do.

What's the source of your hopelessness?
  • juliesorrell2
    juliesorrell2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have failed at sticking to a diet so many times in the past. Lose some weight and i always gain it back and go back to bad eating habits. So what makes this time different.?
  • Dano74
    Options
    Because this time you're not going to diet. You're going to eat what you want within your calorie/macro goals... which is pure, unadulterated, liveable SANITY.

Where do you usually find yourself falling off? How's your immediate support?
  • juliesorrell2
    Options
    My support at home and work is good. Evenings are my worst. From the time I get off work till bed. I don't know what to do with myself. I know I need to use this time to go to the gym that I belong to. Is there certain foods that I should avoid. I feel like I am addicted to sugar foods. Should I be drinking diet soda?
  • Mirelle242
    Mirelle242 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hey, everything is baby steps! Just like I've been trying to track down why I eat or want to eat so much. But when I feel like I want to eat junk I come on the boards and look at people's stories or Instagram and look at before and after pics. Just to remind myself! You can do it! Just like I'm believing in myself I believe in you!!
  • juliesorrell2
    Options
    Thank you for your encouraging words :)
  • Dano74
    Options
    My support at home and work is good. Evenings are my worst. From the time I get off work till bed. I don't know what to do with myself. I know I need to use this time to go to the gym that I belong to. Is there certain foods that I should avoid. I feel like I am addicted to sugar foods. Should I be drinking diet soda?

As per foods to avoid, everyone has their "dos" and "don'ts" for food and there is A LOT of noise out there. I'd say avoid bleach cocktails and concrete sandwiches but diet soda... only you can answer that. There's noise around its effects (additives, caramel coloring, artificial sweetener) but there's also noise around that noise saying the fears are highly overblown. It's kinda something you have to navigate yourself but a diet soda here and there, it's got no calories so there's that.

Personally, I eat whatever I want as long as it's in my caloric/macro goals and it's been the most sustainable, natural thing ever. Sugar or no. You CAN eat what you want and lose weight barring any medical issues. You really can, keeping in mind good nutrition as well.

But I hear you... evenings are when the munchies strike. And that's OK. Something that's helped me is banking my calories for evenings- eat light in the day and have fun at night.

The point is to simply make your eating work FOR and WITH you instead of being jerked around at every new study, new diet and dietary camp. There really should be no guilt over any food you eat if you're making it fit your goals and you're getting nutrition that comes best from fruits and veg.

• rebaisett
    rebaisett Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have failed at sticking to a diet so many times in the past. Lose some weight and i always gain it back and go back to bad eating habits. So what makes this time different.?

O hun I know exactly what you mean. I have done that so many times. It's finding what works for you. I paid $300 a month for nutrisystem and it worked a little but it's not long term. I finally found this (mfp) which is free. It's working for me. We are all here for you. We support you. We all know what's it like. It's not easy. I believe you can do this. Take it one day at a time or even one hour at a time. Whatever it takes. We love you and will do whatever we can to support you! Add me if you would like :)
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    the way I look at it, I can do something about my weight or not. If I don't, I'll be in a worse position in 6 months. You can do this. Silly tip, I brush my teeth after I am done eating as I'm too lazy to brush again and most of the times that's enough to make me question if I want to eat more.
  • jevvel1
    jevvel1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people get too overwhelmed by all the things that need to change in order to lose weight or have a healthy lifestyle. The best advice I've heard is to concentrate on making one small positive change at a time until it becomes a habit. For example maybe you only need to concentrate on staying within your caloric boundaries right now. After the process of reporting all your food intake becomes habitual, then maybe you make your decision about diet soda. Then maybe you add exercise. Maybe later you decide to wean from diet soda and add more water. Anyway, you get the point. Addressing one new change each week or every couple weeks could help. Also, please don't let the scale dictate your progress. My scale has not moved even 1 pound in 2 months, yet I dropped a pant size. According to the scale no progress is being made and discourages me but my clothes tell a different story.

Best wishes. Feel free to add me if you need a cheerleader.
  • juliesorrell2
    Options
    This is great advice. I find myself thinking I have to change everything now. I really think staying within my calorie goal for now is a great goal. Change things as I feel moved to change.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Sometimes meal prepping at night helps keep me busy. I'm in the kitchen, but I'm doing something instead of sitting around mindlessly eating. I will light a candle, put on some good music, cook up pasta or chicken or prep my overnight oats for breakfast, and do things to help me feel organized for the next day.

Eating breakfast and meals throughout the day also helps keep me pretty full and stop me from going crazy at night. And going to bed at a decent time because good sleep helps too.

Believe in yourself, you can do this. :)
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    If you know that filling time in the evening is an issue for you, make a plan now. What are some easy things you could do instead of munching? Meal planning or preparation is a great idea. What about going for a walk?

Looking at the big picture can be overwhelming. Set your goals for tomorrow, and then do your best to meet them. If you don't, that's ok! Forgive yourself, adjust your plan if it's too challenging, and start again the day after :)
  • BrokeBirkin
    BrokeBirkin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    When I started out I didn't change what I ate, just counted calories. I could have junk but I would always be sure to ask myself is the flavor I'll enjoy worth the calories I'm giving up. The answer at first was yes, then it slowly started changing. If I was hungry enough there is no way I'm wasting 100 calories on a few seconds of sugar bliss! I still give in sometimes but that is fine as well. If you try to start off too strong and you relapse you go back to square 1 not having learned anything. I have failed several times and each time I would at some point stop and think about what I learned about what does and doesn't work for me. Each time I fail I'm never starting from scratch, I'm coming back stronger than before.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options

sorauren wrote: »
    the way I look at it, I can do something about my weight or not. If I don't, I'll be in a worse position in 6 months. You can do this. Silly tip, I brush my teeth after I am done eating as I'm too lazy to brush again and most of the times that's enough to make me question if I want to eat more.

^^^This!!! I do the same, brush my teeth then do my nails while I watch tv! Getting to bed earlier helps too!