Frustrated!

Options
I don't know if it's too soon to be frustrated but today I finished logging day 10 of my diet/exercise plan and I haven't lost any weight yet. I've been sticking very well to my calorie count and I've been exercising (both cardio and weight training) more than I ever have before. The last two days I have actually been nearly 500 calories under just because I haven't been feeling hungry... getting sick :( . How long did it take for you guys to see your numbers drop on the scale?

Replies

• Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    SO easy to get frustrated. That said...Definitely too soon. It'll take time! I had similar experiences. First few weeks was like, "THIS SUCKS!" Then things started happening. The scale isn't really the best way to determine your success but at 10 days, it's way too early. If you're on in calories and working out, keep your head down and stay consistent. Things WILL happen.
  • beanjo020297
    beanjo020297 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Damn, I was excited to see the weight come off since I am so committed and motivated. Hopefully next week will bring results!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    too soon. This is a long slow process.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    For a majority of my loss it was nothing for about 3 weeks then 2lbs in a day then nothing again. You find how your own body responds. Some people loose steadily every week. It is a slow process, it doesn't happen like 10lbs in a week. Most people loose a lot the first week or so because of water weight though, but it is not actual fat.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    When I dropped my calories too low in hopes of losing weight, I actually gained six pounds. All water weight, but still frustrating. Be careful.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I gained a little the first week. I've lost since then.
  • sharondjs
    sharondjs Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I know you said your sticking to your calories but are you weighing every single thing you eat in grams not using cups and spoons , there are no free foods especially when you first start , this seems to be where a lot of people fall down in the beginning they think they know portion sizes or don't have to weigh foods , it makes a huge difference .
    Are you drinking enough water again it makes a huge difference to weight loss .
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's too soon to be frustrated but today I finished logging day 10 of my diet/exercise plan and I haven't lost any weight yet. I've been sticking very well to my calorie count and I've been exercising (both cardio and weight training) more than I ever have before. The last two days I have actually been nearly 500 calories under just because I haven't been feeling hungry... getting sick :( . How long did it take for you guys to see your numbers drop on the scale?

Looks like you joined on the 8th of Sep. With 8 days in and getting ill it'll probably be best to make sure you get in plenty of fluids & rest. Working out when ill can get us run down even more and take longer to get well. Working out can take a lot out of us.

Be patient you'll get there :smiley: It's likely you're body's been getting ill and it needs all the calories, be careful not to under eat.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • alexpn
    alexpn Posts: 59 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It takes time! It depends on what sort of diet you're following, and how much excess weight you have to lose in the first place. If you are 40 kilos overweight, and as an example suddenly start following a low carb/Ketosis based diet, you might lose as much as 14 pounds in the first week due to water weight loss. If you're already in the `healthy' range of weight for your height, the scales might not move at all for a month. If you've only just starting exercising for the first time in months, your body and muscles might be swelling. Lots of factors to consider, the bottom line is, work out your metabolic rate stats first, create a realistic deficit through diet (first), then exercise (second), stay consistent and you will get there
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb: Not losing, eat less. Lots of people will advise you that you can lose faster by eating more. Seems nuts to me.
  • LynnBBQ72
    LynnBBQ72 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Don't give up - my first week I lost 3 lbs, then nothing the second or third week at all. Then the weight started really dropping off. It was because I had not exercised for a long time and my muscles were swelling, just like alexpn wrote above. If you stick with your plan, the weight will come off.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is so different. It can take a bit for the scale to catch up. I would see no progress on the scale...and then one day it would just drop 6 lbs. Not move...then drop a bunch. Be patient. If you are doing what you need to do, the scale will follow.
  • lyndawhite2010
    lyndawhite2010 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know that MFP gave me 1,840 calories a day to start. Which was way too many. I lowered it to 1,640 and as long as I stay between that and 1,000 calories, I see consistent losses. Please don't give up! :)
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    Hi, I gain a pound or so when I intensify my training. I've exercised more for around ten days, and my weight is just back to the one I had 10 days ago.

Apprearently it is due to little tears which occur in your muscle fibers when you intensify your training. The muscles swell up a little and retain fluid.

This being said, make sure you train well. Enough in time and with good intensity. Dont overdo, though.

Good luck !
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Calories are NOT the only part of losing "weight". I always get shot down when I say this but water also shows up on the scale. If you have any thing in your diet that is causing you to hold water such as excess sodium the scale will weigh the water the same as it weighs the fat, muscle, skeleton and internal organs. So just do some detective work to see if this could be part of it.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's far, far too soon.

Calories are king for weight loss despite what a few others say. You cannot lose weight if you eat too many calories. Measure your intake correctly using a digital food scale and choose accurate food database entries when you log.

Stop eating under your calorie goal; your deficit is already built in. Eat the number mfp gives you. Eating above that number does not equal weight gain, either, unless you eat over your maintenance which is usually 250-1000 calories above.

Use a food scale
    Calories are NOT the only part of losing "weight". I always get shot down when I say this but water also shows up on the scale. If you have any thing in your diet that is causing you to hold water such as excess sodium the scale will weigh the water the same as it weighs the fat, muscle, skeleton and internal organs. So just do some detective work to see if this could be part of it.

?
    Water weight isn't associated with calories. They're two different things. Calories affect the fat loss or gain rate. Water weight can be caused by excess sodium (as you said), hormonal changes (especially TOM/Menopause for women), excess carbs, a start or increase o physical activities. Water weight is no big deal.

The way calories work:
    Eat the same amount of calories your body needs to maintain its current weight: Weight maintains
    Eat more calories than your body needs to maintain its current weight: Weight gain
    Eat less calories than your body needs to maintain its current weight: Weight loss.

Basic human physiology. Proven science.

It is always a good idea to use a tape measure to measure your progress, too.

OP...under no circumstaces eat below 1200.
    I know that MFP gave me 1,840 calories a day to start. Which was way too many. I lowered it to 1,640 and as long as I stay between that and 1,000 calories, I see consistent losses. Please don't give up! :)

@lyndawhite2010 Eat the calories MFP gives you, not under. You're not meant to eat under, and 1000 is FAR too little!!!! It's not too many if you chose 2lbs per week on sedentary. Remember, mfp calories are the calories without exercise, so every time you exercise, you add on about half of those calories to consume back.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options