Cereals with milk

Options
cliftonav
cliftonav Posts: 29 Member
edited August 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Can someone please tell me if when manufacturers calculate the calories for their breakfast cereals do they include the milk added needed to create the meal? So for example; porridge or musili - are the calories per portion mentioned on the packaging including the milk - or do you need to add the calories for whichever milk type you use?

I can't see myself eating porridge oats or musili DRY! Lol

Replies

• AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It will usually say on the package. If it doesn't, I would assume they are not counting milk in the calorie totals.
    So yes, you would need to add in the calories for your milk of choice.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    No, you would need to add the calories for the milk, which would depend on which kind you use (skimmed, 2% etc).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Some packages will say "with milk" or "prepared". If it does not have the second column, you add milk separately.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    In the UK most cereal boxes say the amount for 100g then the amount for a portion with 250ml of semi skimmed milk. I'd check the packaging of the cereal. If it includes the milk, use the 100g amount and change the weight to however much you eat.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Here in the UK cereal packages state per 100g dry and per prepared portion, stating what their prepared portion is, usually 40g with 250ml semi skimmed milk.

I generally just log the raw weight and add whatever I put with it.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Without, unless they're doing double column nutrition facts and then they'll specify the amount and fat percentage of said milk it includes.
  • cliftonav
    cliftonav Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.