Running & Running Apps - Advise Needed

Options
Hi All,

I'm just about to take up running, well jogging again to help in my health and fitness goals.

I used to run quite a bit and last ran regularly in 2012 before completing a 1/2 Marathon. Since then I've been very off and on, but mostly off.

I used to run with Nike+ App on my iPhone but it looks like it is not the reliable app it once was and there are some awesome new apps.

I like tracking my routes, times, distance and it keeps me motivated if I know I need to log 3 runs a week etc. Plus I quite like challenges, community and listen to music or podcast when I job.

Do any of you run with MapMyRun as it looks to integrate with MyFitnessPal?

Or do you prepare another app?

Cheers
Matt

Replies

• z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
  • matthew_dodwell
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »

Looks interesting, might be a bit gimmicky for me though, might give it a go though.
  • matthew_dodwell
    Options
    Posted a better question so this thread is cancelled but can see a way to delete it.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I like Strava. Not sure if it varies by location but i enjoy the running community and segment challenges. Also, if you decide to stick with it, a Garmin watch is so helpful and I love their app for running data.
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I use the MFP fitness app, works perfectly for me. Free app so just need your phone, which supplies the tunes to!
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I started running with Nike+ App too but quickly changed to Endomondo which also features GPS mapping, splits, personal records etc and it's a free app. I really love it and you can connect to MFP, Fitbit and other apps.
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyRun, it's free and works well for me. It integrates seamlessly with MFP. However, as I'm getting into longer runs and more pace-specific training runs for my first Half marathon. I'm really wanting to upgrade to a GPS running watch, like Garmin. It's such a hassle having to check your phone all the time for pace. I just want to to tuck it away and forget about it.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    agusia_b wrote: »
    I use MapMyRun, it's free and works well for me. It integrates seamlessly with MFP. However, as I'm getting into longer runs and more pace-specific training runs for my first Half marathon. I'm really wanting to upgrade to a GPS running watch, like Garmin. It's such a hassle having to check your phone all the time for pace. I just want to to tuck it away and forget about it.

I would highly recommend getting a Garmin or GPS watch if you enjoy running. It makes it so much easier to check your time, pace, heart rate, etc... You can also create custom workouts for intervals, tempo runs, etc...
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+ when I forget my Garmin (usually when traveling).
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I use Map My Run, just because it was the first one I downloaded. Does what I want, but for more serious running, I suspect a Garmin etc would be a good investment. I'm happy with my app, but if I ever decide or am able to do more than my current 10k limit, I'd probably invest.
  • JasmijnRF
    JasmijnRF Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I like Strava. Not sure if it varies by location but i enjoy the running community and segment challenges. Also, if you decide to stick with it, a Garmin watch is so helpful and I love their app for running data.

I also love Strava!