Fitbit charge HR overestimates walking calories hugely

Options

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    The heart rate monitor can actually be turned off in the settings (on the desktop 'app' I believe) on the HR models. Try that and see if you get better numbers.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    How do you all get so many calories for steps? I'm 5'3, 115 and get about 250 calories for 15,000 steps being set at sedentary in MFP.

By being heavier. :smile:

Heavier people take more energy to move the same distance as lighter people because there's more mass to transport.

I realize that, but @Christine_72 is only 30 pounds heavier and gets about twice the number of exercise calories for steps that I do.

@Psychgrrl I think your device underestimates, and mine overestimates :huh: My fitbit isn't a HR monitor either.
  • TilKingdomCome
    TilKingdomCome Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That 2901 calories (eg in green) is the TOTAL burn. It is what you could maintain at on that day.
    What MFP tells you takes into account your deficit, eg 2901 minus 500 calories and you will lose weight.

There is nothing wrong with your Fitbit. Try it for a month and trust it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    That 2901 calories (eg in green) is the TOTAL burn. It is what you could maintain at on that day.
    What MFP tells you takes into account your deficit, eg 2901 minus 500 calories and you will lose weight.

There is nothing wrong with your Fitbit. Try it for a month and trust it.

Correct, but that's still too high for her weight. I think the issue is that her heart rate gets too high, as she mentioned. With an atypical heart rate it's possible that HR monitors simply don't work for her.

OP I know it stings, but you might want to turn off the heart rate function and see how you do without it. It can easily be done from device settings in Fitbit. I used to do that for runs because I'm not fit and my heart rate goes higher than what my actual performance would indicate. That before I discovered the cloth trick. I used a piece of washcloth between my skin and the monitor to prevent sweat from screwing with the readings and discovered by chance that it lowers heart rate readings too giving me more realistic running calories. It wouldn't be realistic for you to have a washcloth sticking out from under your tracker all day, so turning it off would be your best bet.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yes, the number Fitbit gives you is your total calories burned so far that day. It's your combined calories from BMI and any activity you've done -- whether that's walking or working out at the gym or cleaning your house or brushing your teeth or whatever. I don't understand how people say "I walked 10,000 steps today and it gave me XXX extra calories." Because many of those steps were in your normal daily activity. You won't see them on your dashboard as a walk. So how could you possibly know how many "extra" calories it's giving based on total number of steps? A variety of things besides walking can affect your TDEE. I didn't walk as many steps yesterday as I normally do, but I scrubbed my front porch. So my TDEE was (understandably) just as high as it would have been if I'd walked more. Walking is not everything!

And don't forget to make sure your settings are as accurate as possible. Measure your stride length and enter it accurately. Make sure your age, sex, height and current weight are accurate.

One thing I do is to wear my Fitbit on my left (non dominant) hand but set it as if I'm wearing it on my right (dominant) hand. That lowers the sensitivity and helps ensure it doesn't give me credit for extra steps. Some people who think their Fitbits are over estimating calories have said they've changed their settings so that the Fitbit thinks they're an inch or two shorter and that's helped.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    @Pawsforme I think the are talking about the adjustment fitbit sends mfp. According to fitbit my tdee is 2645 (assuming this is an average as its my calories burnt goal number). For mfp on lightly active my neat is 2285. I can get adjustments of anywhere between 300 and 1100 based on how active I am. Average is around 8-900 on work days. Which after spending way too long averaging numbers vs actual losses, the 2645 is fairly accurate as a tdee. Looking at it day to day, a 3200 tdee seems insane, but I tend to gloss over 2300 days until I'm averaging.

I *do think that if I were to eat all of the adjustment, my loss would slow considerably. The adjustment is off somehow for me. But, eating an average of 1650, over 6 weeks, I've lost an average of 1.9lbs/week. Which is almost exactly what I've planned to lose. Even with some stupid hormonal gains factored into that...averages worked out.
  • cannonball99
    cannonball99 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @gebeziseva I also tend to have a pretty high heart rate when walking and I've also found that the fitbit charge hr grossly overestimates my calorie burn. As a result I haven't really used it much the last 6 months. It has recently been suggested to me to use the webapp to turn off the heart rate monitoring to see if that helps. You may want to try that too to see if its at least as accurate as a pedometer app.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I still disagree that it is overestimating. 2901 total calories burnt was not the OP it was someone with similar stats but a high heart rate from memory. I was using that one as an eg.

I too have the same stats as the OP give or take a kg and a couple of cm but I am fit so presumably might have a lower HR. I burn on average 2400/day. If I consume 1900 I lose .5kg/week. I have had a Fitbit for the entire time I have lost weight (23kg) minus a month and have eaten every one of the adjustment/exercise calories (always set at negative adjustment). The total calories burnt has been very consistent between a flex and HR.

I just don't think you can make a claim of it being unreliable after just 24 hours of use. There are a few little tricks to make it as reliable as possible, eg non-dominant, negative adjustments, etc. and there are trackers that overestimate STEPS but these are pretty obvious (my son had one and he would do same activities but thousands of steps more than his brother).

They are hard to trust but they do generally work if you give it a shot and your stats look pretty reasonable to me.

I've just about had it with Fitbit though so this will be my last one (Blaze). The fitbits my family have are continually breaking and I'm at my wits end with their customer service who used to be ok.

I was the one with 2,900 calorie burn. I have a fitbit Alta which does not have a HR monitor.

• rcktgirl05
    rcktgirl05 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    How do you all get so many calories for steps? I'm 5'3, 115 and get about 250 calories for 15,000 steps being set at sedentary in MFP.

Heavier people take more energy to move the same distance as lighter people because there's more mass to transport.

I'm 5'4" and weigh 183 and I only got 2 calories added today for my 11,000 steps. Odd.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    rcktgirl05 wrote: »

I'm 5'4" and weigh 183 and I only got 2 calories added today for my 11,000 steps. Odd.

Are you set to "active" by any chance? If not, it could be a one off glitch.
  • rcktgirl05
    edited September 2016
    Options

I am set to Active because I try to do something every day. Should I not be? I'm confused now.
  • Christine_72
    edited September 2016
    Options

I am set to Active because I try to do something ever day. Should I not be? I'm confused now.

You can choose which activity level best describes you. Do you have negative adjustments enabled? This ensures you will get calories taken away so you don't eat too many if you don't happen to meet mfp's active level on any given day.

I think I'd struggle keeping to "active" 7 days a week.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

I am set to Active because I try to do something ever day. Should I not be? I'm confused now.

You can be set to active, it makes no difference since Fitbit will adjust calories accordingly, but when you are set to active the extra calories you get from your tracker are mostly used to fulfill that "active" status, so you don't get many extra calories above your allowance. The extra calories people are reporting are mostly for the "sedentary" setting.
  • rcktgirl05
    Options

You can be set to active, it makes no difference since Fitbit will adjust calories accordingly, but when you are set to active the extra calories you get from your tracker are mostly used to fulfill that "active" status, so you don't get many extra calories above your allowance. The extra calories people are reporting are mostly for the "sedentary" setting.

Oh that makes sense. In any case, the Fitbit - MFP combo is working for me so I'm gonna keep on keeping on!
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

Oh that makes sense. In any case, the Fitbit - MFP combo is working for me so I'm gonna keep on keeping on!

Just make sure you have negative adjustment enabled for those days where you aren't as active, and that your calorie allowance is reasonable enough to support that level of activity.
  • rcktgirl05
    Options

Just make sure you have negative adjustment enabled for those days where you aren't as active, and that your calorie allowance is reasonable enough to support that level of activity.

Well turns out that feature is not available on the mobile app so I didn't know about it. You have to go to the full website to enable it. Thanks for the heads up!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I really, really don't like the Fitbit wearable HR monitors

I don't understand how anyone thinks their HR is relevant to calorie burn in anything outside the steady state cardio parameters that underlie the formula

I do appreciate there are other, more expensive, HR monitors which may prove more accurate in other states

Someone told me that actually while walking it reverts to the basic pedometer function to estimate calories (might be made up)

I have a basic Fitbit pedometer (a zip) which I am basically married to (don't tell the husband but seriously I feel more bereft without it than without him) ...and it has proved, over time, to be very accurate

I weigh 72kg (at 173cm) at goal
    For 10000 steps I get about 350-500 calories over me at sedentary (1750)
    For 15000 it's more like 6-800

With biofeedback over years this has proved to vaguely underestimate my actual burn by 1-200 so I have had to adjust my Fitbit settings to make me 30 years younger, and 5cm taller (come to think of it that might be why I'm so fond of it...well that and the extra calories present it bestows daily)

• rcktgirl05
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I really, really don't like the Fitbit wearable HR monitors

I don't understand how anyone thinks their HR is relevant to calorie burn in anything outside the steady state cardio parameters that underlie the formula

I do appreciate there are other, more expensive, HR monitors which may prove more accurate in other states

Someone told me that actually while walking it reverts to the basic pedometer function to estimate calories (might be made up)

I have a basic Fitbit pedometer (a zip) which I am basically married to (don't tell the husband but seriously I feel more bereft without it than without him) ...and it has proved, over time, to be very accurate

I weigh 72kg (at 173cm) at goal
    For 10000 steps I get about 350-500 calories over me at sedentary (1750)
    For 15000 it's more like 6-800

With biofeedback over years this has proved to vaguely underestimate my actual burn by 1-200 so I have had to adjust my Fitbit settings to make me 30 years younger, and 5cm taller (come to think of it that might be why I'm so fond of it...well that and the extra calories present it bestows daily)

I got the Fitbit Charge HR because I play hockey and I was looking for a better estimate. My Apple Watch told me that a short walk to the next building over was more calorie burn than my 45 min hockey game. That's why, for me at least. And I wasn't really sure what went into the MFP estimates for that exercise. With the Fitbit I do see a difference based on how intense my game was, if we had more or less subs than normal, if it was easy or competitive.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hockey isn't steady state, it is closer to HIIT

HR Monitors are inaccurate outside steady state

May as well use a METS chart

Field hockey 7.8 METS
    General ice hockey 8 METS
    Competitive ice hockey 10 METS

Times those by your weight in kg to give an estimate of calorie expenditure per hour