To Run or Walk...

Options
In my youth I could run like the wind. But after several ankle injuries and knees that are starting to bother me should I just move over to the right so the running world can pass me by.
I cycle a lot to avoid the wear and tear on my ankles and knees but that's not always an option. Is walking my only option or should I invest in some of those miracle braces "AKA CopperFit " that melt away the pain?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to run? You don't need to run to lose weight.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,217 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you love running but are concerned about your ankles and knees, I'd recommend seeing a doctor. They'll be able to recommend things that can help OR let you know you shouldn't be doing it. I'm a 37 year old female, and I'll be heading out shortly for an 8 mile run. I run because I love it, but I also bike and walk on days I'm just not feeling up to it. When I first picked running back up, I ached quite a bit. I'd gone from being mostly sedentary to suddenly asking my body to do things it hadn't done in years. My knees ached, my hips ached, my ankles ached, my calves ached. I had aches in places I didn't realize were part of me! Once I'd gotten my body used to the activity that went away. Now, if I run a distance I haven't in a while, my body aches a bit, but after a day or so I'm back to normal. Anyway, if I were you, I'd see my doctor to get cleared for running first, then start slowly (look into the program C25K - it's how I re-started).

BUT - if you're not running because you love it, why not do something you enjoy more? Walking is just as good for you as running. Biking is a great option. You don't HAVE TO run if you don't want to. :)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,217 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also - if you're just starting out with a running program and are getting injured, you're starting out too far and/or too fast. Slow down and listen to your body.
  • DirkRocks
    DirkRocks Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the advice. Thanks
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    If you love running but are concerned about your ankles and knees, I'd recommend seeing a doctor. They'll be able to recommend things that can help OR let you know you shouldn't be doing it. I'm a 37 year old female, and I'll be heading out shortly for an 8 mile run. I run because I love it, but I also bike and walk on days I'm just not feeling up to it. When I first picked running back up, I ached quite a bit. I'd gone from being mostly sedentary to suddenly asking my body to do things it hadn't done in years. My knees ached, my hips ached, my ankles ached, my calves ached. I had aches in places I didn't realize were part of me! Once I'd gotten my body used to the activity that went away. Now, if I run a distance I haven't in a while, my body aches a bit, but after a day or so I'm back to normal. Anyway, if I were you, I'd see my doctor to get cleared for running first, then start slowly (look into the program C25K - it's how I re-started).

BUT - if you're not running because you love it, why not do something you enjoy more? Walking is just as good for you as running. Biking is a great option. You don't HAVE TO run if you don't want to. :)

This explains why I am so sore! But I am totally enjoying running and I never have before.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

He never asked if walking/running was needed to lose fat, did he?
  • graciesmommy18
    graciesmommy18 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's not as important as to what kind of cardio you do as it is important how high your heart rate it. Get a heart rate monitor from Amazon and track your workouts that way.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    My boobs, ankles, and knees don't like to run-- I walk and swim and it works for me.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

He never asked if walking/running was needed to lose fat, did he?

He needed to clarify, I'm not sure why anyone would want to run if hurt to do so. And lots of posters think they need to exercise or run to lose weight.

It hurts me to run, so I walk.