Hitting protein and fiber goals

Options
Hi all,

I'd be grateful for some advice. I don't eat much protein, certainly not at the levels I should do. Unfortunately most foods that are high in protein that I like (meat, cheese, eggs) are low in fiber and I'm also trying to make sure I hit that goal. I'm also conscious of trying to do all of this within 1300 calories a day (net).

Any tips on foods to try or how to get more protein in and stay within calorie goals?

Replies

• samw86
    samw86 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Whey protein powder is a great way to get extra protein in. I like to mix with Total 0% greek yoghurt, it tastes amazing!
    And for fibre, just plenty of green veggies; spinach, kale, broccoli, cauliflower etc
    Swede is a pretty good on for fibre too and a great low cal swap for mash potato.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    To fit in more protein, eat fewer carbs and fruit.
    Beans are a good source of protein and fiber. Make some chili or bean soup.
    Kale and broccoli also have protein and fiber.
  • hayleyf6051
    hayleyf6051 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys; much appreciated. Love the whey and Greek yoghurt suggestion.
  • TitaniumTexan
    TitaniumTexan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary -- although my calorie limit is 1680, I regularly go way over on both protein and fiber, so I suspect I'd still do so even at 1300. I second, third, and fourth the idea of beans as a way to get both protein and fiber at once. Quinoa is also high in protein. Raspberries have way more fiber than most fruits; avocados are surprisingly high in fiber (and potassium); some bread products are very high in fiber. Quest bars are high in both protein and fiber and are low in sugar.
  • gettingmarried817
    Options
    I had the same problem. After tracking a little while, i saw i was strugglung to get my protein and fiber goals. I added a pritein powder and benefiber to my morning smoothie. Since then, i haven't really had any issues. (Though there was one day that I had a second smoothie in the evening cuz I had a really low day). I also like the Fiber One bars occasionally as a snack. Good luck to you ☺
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    legumes -- high in fiber and protein, low fat so moderate on calories
    nuts & seeds -- high in fat also, so calorically dense.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Omelets! If you mix whole eggs and egg whites, you get an extra protein kick - the yolk is what has the fat. And then put in your fibrous vegetables like spinach or broccoli, maybe some black beans, and top it with a little cheese and some seasonings. YUM!
  • bloodblackstone
    bloodblackstone Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Go for Vegan protien powder. Not soy. You will get soy titties
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I use a whey based protein powder. There are soya and vegan ones available.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I make a drink, more like pudding consistency, everyday for lunch which is super filling and has 47g Protein and 27g Fibre.

50g whey protein. I use a chocolate/peanut butter flavour isolate.
    20g psyllium husk powder
    15g Flaxseed meal
    10g oat bran
    150ml vanilla almond milk

I add it all into a soup mug, fill it up to the top (slowly) with boiling water while mixing it all together with a stick blender. Tastes like chocolate peanut butter pudding/custard.