Stretch before a run?

Options
I was wondering if you are supposed to do any stretching before a run? I take a good amount of time after to stretch, but not sure if I should stretch before? Thanks!

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I have read that it's a good idea but I don't. I think stretching afterwards is more important to try to prevent soreness.
  • Chiqui74
    Chiqui74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Only if you do dynamic stretches. Stretching on cold muscles is not recommended. To be fair, I rarely stretch and I don't notice any difference when I do.
  • luckybarton
    Options
    I was told you must always stretch before beginning any exercise just to warm-up your muscles to avoid strain.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Yes it is deff a good idea to warm up the muscles before using them it can prevent alot of injuries. That is what I have been told anyways...
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Depends on who you ask. Generally though, you shouldn't stretch cold. You're better off walking for about 5 minutes (or doing a slow jog if you're a relatively quick runner) to loosen you up than stretching.
  • KeeleySue
    KeeleySue Posts: 158
    Options
    This is what my physical therepist has me do:

1. Warmup walk/bicycle. (Mild to moderate pace.)
    2. Stretch!
    3. Exercise. (Brisk walk/Run/Brisk bicycle/etc.)
    4. Stretch!
  • ActiveFaith10
    ActiveFaith10 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    youre suppose to warm up your muscles by going on a short job, about .25 miles then stretch before so you dont pull anything
  • Chiqui74
    Chiqui74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was told you must always stretch before beginning any exercise just to warm-up your muscles to avoid strain.

That is old information. Stretching on cold muscles can actually lead to more injuries. If you must stretch before exercise, do either dynamic stretches or a bit of cardio for a few minutes and then stretch. Stretching after exercise is more useful (for those who find it useful at all) and safer.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    Only if you do dynamic stretches. Stretching on cold muscles is not recommended. To be fair, I rarely stretch and I don't notice any difference when I do.

What she said.
    Warming up is a great idea, and dynamic stretches are fine if you want to, but all the static stretching is done afterwards. Less injuries that way, and faster recovery from the workout.
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You don't stretch cold muscles... do a little warm up first if you really want to stretch.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    "Warming up" is different from "stretching". Stretching a cold muscle can do more harm than good. It is better to walk or jog slowly for a few minutes, or to do some other dynamic movements (as was mentioned earlier), than it is to do static stretching.

The exception to this is if you have some type of injury condition. Under those circumstances, stretching might be necessary (example: I need to stretch my hip capsule before I run due to an old injury).

In that case, you still do your dynamic warm up first. Once the muscle are warmed up, then you stretch. Then you run.

In the absence of injury, just starting off at a slower pace for 4-5 min is the best "warm up".
  • Mills187
    Mills187 Posts: 171
    Options
    I always do a Light warm up jog a little then stretch it out not alot just a little bit to loosen up it has improved my run time alot!
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I think it is best to stretch before and after any exercise! It warms up the muscles before running to prevent injury and it helps keep soreness away by stretching afterwards.
  • BeckyReba
    BeckyReba Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    coming from a cross country runner for 8 years, you NEED to stretch before a run! but don't stretch cold muscles. do a warm-up (.25-.5 mile) and then come back and stretch before starting your longer run. :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Although its no longer recommended, I still stretch some before running, even though I may not be properly warmed up. Now I don't go crazy trying to push past my limits, but I do like to loosen up a little bit.
    I always stretch really good after
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    It's not a must before, per se, but it will help your muscles loosen up a bit so they'll be more effective right out of the gate. I walk and then stretch lightly for about five minutes before a run (just enough to loosen the muscles, but definitely not pushing for a real stretch), and stretch again for about 10 minutes afterwards.