Starting Insanity tomorrow

Galathea
Galathea Posts: 420 Member
I'm in this whole weight loss - getting in shape thing since one year now. I had my up's and down's, but for the bigger part I know I did great. I lost a huge amount of weight. I got in shape ... kinda. I turned from a couch potatoe into a Zumba instructor, something I never thought would happen. And I love it. Seriously, if you would have told me one year ago I would stand in fron of a class, sweating my butt off and working out, I would have laughed you out of the door. :blushing:
But I know I still have a long way to go. It's not so much about reaching my goal weight anymore, although that would be nice of course. My goals have changed a lot. I don't need that perfect weight. But I know I need to get much fitter than I am right now, I need the form and the fitness level. I owe this myself. What's the use of losing weight, if you don't increase your strength and your stamina?
So for a while now I was thinking about starting a new workout schedule.
Usually I do 4-5 times a week Zumba (3 times as instructor), get as many walks as possible in, I do 30DS occasionally (sorry, I don't like Jillian), HipHopAbs 2 times a week and some brazil butt lift, if I'm in the mood. I know I can do better. I know I can push myself harder.
So I thought of starting Insanity. And here's the problem. I usually expect too much of myself. And I know for a fact, if I start, I won't be able to go through the whole program without breaking down now and then. That's what this is actually about. Insanity is supposed to make you better over time. But I want to be good right from the start, not perfect of course, but at least good. I think I will be very demotivated, if I break down after the first ten minutes of the first work out.
So what to do now? Should I still try it, although I will be bummed? Are there any tips you can give me to avoid that feeling of being a loser? Am I just too hard on myself? Oh, and last but not least ... anybody wants to start with me tomorrow? :smile:

Replies

• kevweath
    kevweath Posts: 6
    My reply is that I think you are way too hard on yourself.

You need to REALLY think about how much progress you have made, and not just what you have left to go.

Have you ever put how much weight you have lost on a bar or in a backpack and lifted it? I find this a good way to think about this. You used to carry this amount of weight around with you all the time.

I think you are possibly exercising too much. In order for your body to be truly healthy, you also need to make sure there are rest days. The muscle builds during the recovery stage. You need to give yourself time to heal.

You have lost 84 pounds and become a Zumba INSTRUCTOR! Take great pride in that.

Do not let the 84 pounds be the only way you measure your progress. You must be much healthier than you were and enjoying life more.

Focus on continual improvement and think of things you can now do that you couldn't have before, or how much easier taking the stairs, riding a bike or going for a hike are.

Pushing yourself is okay... but pat yourself on the back too.
  • Trent1w
    Trent1w Posts: 2
    Here's the thing about Insanity. YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO FAIL. That way you can build yourself up, show gains and improvement. Take it easy, pace yourself, and after 60 days you will be able to keep up. It motivated me to watch the people on the video. Not everyone makes it through the entire workout. Pay attention to the people that drop out, and motivate yourself to beat that person on the next round. Good luck!
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    I am starting tomorrow as well and I get what you mean. I will be frustrated as well but I am tired of being able to do a whole DVD or class with ease so I am ready to try something that will not be easy! Good luck, it will so be worth it and great job on your weight loss as well. Two years ago I lost 75lbs and same as you, was not an exerciser to begin with but crave it now.
    If you don't like Jillian (ditto for me), try Bob Harper DVDs, just not the one labeled My WOrkout, the rest are great.
  • determined2bfit
    determined2bfit Posts: 41 Member
    Trent1w, I love your entire view of this Insanity workout! I am heading into week 3 and your view on the matter is wonderful! Best of wishes to all that are starting or who are working through the 63 days now!
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Yeah, I know you all are right, especially Trent. I just have to wrap my mind around it. Well, I made the commitment to start it and to pull through, so I will do it. And maybe my mindset will change, when I see the first changes and notice improvement. I think the first two weeks or so will be the hardest. But, heck, if it would be easy to achieve, we all would be skinny fitness junkies without all the hard work LOL. =^_^=