Emotional or Physical hunger

Options
I KNOW all the proper things to eat. I KNOW the proper amounts to eat. But I just don't seem to be able to stick to it.

Let me explain;
I will eat a healthy supper or lunch. Afterwards I feel physically full. But within a couple hours, I feel like I am starving. I seem to be an eating beast. I want to just sit in front of the pantry and eat until all the snacks have been sampled. (Even though they are healthier snacks, for my kids) Before I know it, I have no idea what I have eaten. No to mention how many calories I have consumed. I feel like I literally snap and when I come to my senses, I can't even tell you what I put in my mouth OR why.

Now I think that everyone who reaches and stays around 300 pounds (without a medical reason) has some emotional baggage. I am aware that I have piles and piles of emotional GARBAGE.

But my question is, does this sound like emotional hunger? Why does it feel so physical? What have some of you done to overcome the emotional hunger?

Thanks,
Jo

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that. So I started planning healthy snacks into my diary every day. The night before, I would plan all my meals and snacks, and I would make sure to eat those snacks every day, even if I didn't feel all that hungry. Planning ahead like that helped me make sure I could stay within my calorie goals, and having the snacks planned out made sure I never got to that ravenous snack-monster place. After doing that for a few weeks, I got to the point that I don't typically even need those snacks, so now I just eat more calories at my mealtimes instead.

Also, make sure you're getting enough protein. That can help you stay fuller longer. I increased my protein goal to 30%, and I've been much more satisfied.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    For me, I found it was almost *always* emotional eating. I am seldom physically hungry. As you say, we get overweight primarily because of emotional eating. My worst habit was thinking I'm hungry when I was either a) bored, or b) thirsty. Usually, I can drink some water and I'm good. The biggest thing on my weight loss journey to overcome has been overcoming my emotional eating and/or replacing what I eat with healthier foods so that when I do eat from emotional eating/boredom/habits, I am eating healthier foods. So, generally, when you think you are hungry a few hours later, you may just need to drink some water or find something to do - go for a walk! be active. Of course, I've read about recent studies that say eating every 3 or 4 hours (smaller meals) is a healthier way to go. If I can't seem to curb my thought of hunger with getting busy or drinking some water, I usually have a banana or an apple. Good luck on your journey!
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I think it's emotional. How late do you eat supper and what time do you go to bed? I would stay up soooo late after everyone was asleep because I gave myself the excuse "I need the ME time!" (I'm a stay at home mom with 3 kids 6 and under). Then come about 12:30 I would get hungry and sometimes would make almost a full meal to eat. I think the habit started out as boredom eating... then I just became used to eating at that time I would actually be hungry. So, I go to bed by 10:30 now. And I did have a slip up last week and guess what I had done? Stayed up finishing laundry till about 2:00am, and I ate! From now on laundry will wait. After not pigging out in the middle of the night for a long time, when I did wake up that next morning I almost felt like I had a hangover. Now that REALLY makes me not wanna have that midnight snack anymore!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Are you eating a lot of carbs with you meals. I know there is a big carb debate and I don't want to get into a fight with anyone over it. But I love carbs! I had a problem with my Blood Sugar and saw a diabetic nutritionist. I now only use whole grain lower carb breads, watch portions on pasta and potatoes and only eat refined sugar foods on special occasions. Add more protein with your breakfast. I eat egg white and veggie omelets and a SERVING of fruit almost every day. Lots fresh veggies on a sandwich made with low carb, low cal bread with lunch and salad with dinner. It helps fill you up. Watch your serving and protion size they are not always the same and what you think. 1 Piece of fruit could be 2 servings.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    To begin with, the bottom line of obesity is depression. We must resolve that issue before we can fully succeed in weight loss/control. I finally came to the conclusion that I'm probably a compulsive eater. Just "try" to eat one little piece of popped corn or just one potato chip out of that tempting bag. Attend any social function where they have a snack table set up with a bowl of mixed nuts, potato chips and dips, little finger sandwiches, etc. For about 4 years, I struggled with the portion comparison style, i.e. the size of a deck of cards, a tennis ball, a golf ball, etc. I GAINED weight because the perception of such portions is much larger than accurately weighing/measuring/leveling off excess quantities with a straight bladed knife or spatula. I now do the latter, 100% of the time and am 4 lbs. away from the ultimate ideal body weight.

Think about it. :)
  • HadraPriestess
    HadraPriestess Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    I really identify w/ you...and what you ask shows you KNOW what is really going on...just sounds like you need to process it. And I say this because I have "been there, done that" and still struggle w/ it at times.

For me emotional eating is to "stuff" down what I am really feeling. I have tried, and still do, to imagine what the "feeling" would DO or LOOK like if i didn't "eat it"...sometimes it comes out as tears...sometimes as a scream of frustration! Very seldom is there a physical hunger that is REAL. The other thing I remind myself of is that the feeling of hunger (when there is NO WAY I should be physically hungry) will pass...given time it may intensify...but it will pass. And, if I can ride it out...just observe what it is feeling like it WILL give me some information. Many times this makes me sad because of the emotional "garbage" attached to those feelings I am trying to stuff.

What I know for sure is that this weight loss journey is not just about losing weight physically. For me, it is about cleaning up my emotional life too. Letting go of the past and giving myself an opportunity to have a happy healthy fulfilling life...at long last.

I will be thinking of you, knowing your struggling too. One last thought ...if we have been strong and courageous enough to hold it together all this time and carry the weight we have (figuratively and physically) then we are strong and courageous enough to put it all down....get rid of it. ...are you with me?
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I have never been an emotional eater, but I am a stress drinker. Diet coke was my rescue from any stress. There have been times when I would have paid $20.00 for a single bottle of diet coke, I was that bad.
    The first step was realizing it. And you have realized your emotional eating, so that is good.
    The second step is the quitting part, not as easy as the first I realize.
    I beat diet coke with exercise and water. Yep, exercise and water. Get stressed, grab water and exercise.
    I don't know what your solution will be, but may I suggest exercise and water because they are 2 things you need anyways.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    That was me for a long time. Some days I was just ravenously hungry ALL DAY LONG, no matter what I ate. I changed a bunch of things, and I'm not sure which ones or which combination mattered most, so I'll just tell you all of them.

1. At first my ONLY rule was that I had to log everything I ate, WHEN I ATE IT--not waiting until I had eaten 3000 calories and logging it all when a) I had forgotten half of it, and b) it was too late to do anything about it. I didn't start with a calorie limit--at first it was JUST LOGGING. And when I did add a calorie limit it was pretty high--1900 calories. I struggled to stay within 1900 calories at first.

2. I set up my food diary by time of day instead of meals (before 11a, 11a-2p, 2p-5p, 5p-7:30p, after 7:30). Then I started trying to manage problem time slots.

For instance, I learned that if I ate a lot of calories before 11a, I would be ravenously hungry at lunchtime and always go over my goal. So I try very hard to limit before 11a to 200 calories. I can't always do that, but I have much more self-control in the morning, so if I'm hungry after breakfast I try to wait until after 11a to eat. If I can't make it to 11a, I try to wait at least until 10a.

For me, my worst time slot was 5p-7:30p b/c I would come home from work starving, have a snack, fix supper, and eat supper--sometimes 1000 calories in 2.5 hours. So I tried to be very conscientious about eating a high-protein snack in the 2p-5p slot so that I wouldn't need a snack when I got home.

Also, I tend to eat the day's stresses in the evening, so I tried to save 300 calories for the after 7:30 slot. I realize that a better approach would be to solve the emotional eating problem, but I'm 46 and have been trying to solve it for 20 years, so I figured that wasn't happening right away. :-)

3. I raised my protein goal and tried really hard to meet my goals for a) protein, b) fiber, and c) calcium. That required exploring all kinds of new food options (high fiber oatmeal bread with peanut butter instead of a bagel with cream cheese, for instance). I spent a long time at this stage, just trying to figure out how to meet my nutrient goals and stay within 1900 calories.

4. During # 3, I started thinking of food as for the purpose of nutrition and fuel and not for emotional comfort and recreation. That was very hard for me, and it happened gradually. I didn't prohibit any foods, but I did start thinking very carefully about why I was buying things. Is this recreational food or food for fuel and nutrition? I stopped buying doughnuts, coffeecake, ice cream--all the purely recreational and comfort foods. But I MUST HAVE CHOCOLATE, so I still buy Hershey's nuggets (50 cal each) and bottled coffee.

5. Also, I started trying to get 300-500 calories' worth of exercise per day. That way, I was losing weight at 1900 calories,and it helped SO much with the emotional eating. Partly it helped because I exercised during one of the time slots when I wanted to eat less, so I just had less time available for eating, and partly because once I had exercised, I didn't want to waste that effort by eating a bunch of calories I didn't need.

6. I had the same experience AJ mentions: when I increased my protein I was less ravenously hungry, and planning my snacks in advance--and knowing they're already there--helps me avoid the "eat one of everything" snack monster mode.
  • tiffvea
    tiffvea Posts: 51
    Options
    I feel ya! I'm an emotional eater for sure. I went from 200-ish to 154 and now I'm back to 175. I'm so mad at myself. I was working out everyday and keeping washed and cut strawberries on hand, but then we (me and my husband) starting having troubles with our teenager, I got depressed, and it's like all my strategies that I had been using to lose most of my weight left!!!! I was eating everything in sight, I can down 10 oreos straight, but then feel like crap afterwards. Then my husband found out he had to go to Afghan in April, which added to my being depressed. The bad thing is, when I went from 200 to 154, I kept most of it off for 3 years, and it's only taken me 10 months to put on 21 lbs and it's no ones fault BUT MY OWN! I feel very alone in this weight loss, food struggle! I just can't seem to get back on track, and I know "eating" my feelings is only going to make me get bigger, then be more depressed.
    I will give one bit of advice, which I'm starting back myself, keep a journal, not a calorie/food journal, but an "get this emotional sh*# out of my head" journal. I use to write in a journal about 3 times a week, right before I went to bed. I'd write down things that were bothering me, things I should work on, and not just negative things, I would also write down blessings in my life that I didn't always acknowledge.
    I wish you the best of luck in the battle with emotions, and the pantry! I also have to get back on track, and I hope one day can win the battle too!
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Jo~

ALLof the posts here are WONDERFUL ideas and I've got another one to add to the mix:

There is a FANTASTIC author named Geneen Roth (yep, she was the one on Oprah) and her books on emotional eating have been life changing for me.
    I especially recommend "When Food is Love" and "Women, Food & God" by her.

Each of us has our own personal story of food addiction that led us to where we are today. Geneen Roth's books gently guide you through the "process" of untangling the web of emotions we have associated with our eating.

Prepare yourself for a LOT of emotional moments of clarity but the liberation from our compulsive behavior is well-worth it!!

Good Luck!!
  • tiffvea
    Options
    Thanks for those book suggestions. :-)
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you so much for your candid replies and suggestions. I am going to process each suggestion and try to work some portion of it into my life. I am going to continue to try to win this battle!

This is the second time I have had the book Women, Food, & God mentioned on here. I will be looking into it on Amazon tonight. This fits perfect for me since I am an avid reader (ok nerd)

Jo
  • tiffvea
    Options
    I went to Hastings and bought "Food is Love"......great book so far, thanks again! Good luck to all!
  • tiffvea
    Options
    Actually, it's "WHEN Food is Love"....just in case you decide to look it up! :-)