Found out I'm diabetic now what!!!!

Options
Hello everyone I turned 32 on step 15 th on the 14th i found out that I'm diabetic. What a way to start my bday so any suggestions on weight loss and nutrition would be great and especially MOTIVATION

Replies

• JoenDeb1958
    JoenDeb1958 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about that. I know that I was set up with the diabetic dietician that's the best thing you can do. They can take you through the classes you need on carbs and what you can eat and drink and how much. I found the class is tedious but very interesting you will too. Once you start cutting down on carbs and controlling your glucose getting your sugar under control you'll see the weight start coming off. Don't forget exercising. Add me and if there's anything I can help you with I will
  • mynewlife32
    mynewlife32 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks will do
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you were diagnosed with Type 1 or Type 2.. and I agree totally about finding a local diabetes management class or having your doctor refer you to a dietician or nutritionist for diabetes control..

there is also group here on MFP with loads of great information, resources (such as the website www.bloodsugar101.com) and a lot of support.. which is really helpful as it's so overwhelming and confusing when you first get diagnosed; so much you have to learn so take it one day at a time... it can be managed and as the person above noted, there are lots of people willing to lend a hand..

heres the group link in case you're interested in checking it out sometime..

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

• Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Hey, make sure you have a credible doctor you trust and listen to them. Advice from a licensed medical professional trumps all random internet advice, even mine. Tracking what you eat here, good and bad, can only help. These threads and these threads are also great for general fitness advice.

As far as "motivation" goes, forget it. Motivation is fickle. It comes and goes, and things that should be "motivation" enough don't pull people through to the end. Decide to get healthier. Then repeat the same decision every day.
  • mynewlife32
    mynewlife32 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great advice thanks
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I joined the local YWCA so I can exercise no matter what the weather or season. I mostly walk on the treadmill but plan to try other machines later on. My friend who has diabetes joins me 4-5 days a week. She's lost some weight and her blood tests have improved dramatically. The point here is exercise really helps.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    At thrity two your young enough to want to get your blood sugars back to normal. Don't do like me and wait until they put you on insulin. Doctor called and wants to see me. And I'm sure it's because of a high A!C. I'm working hard to try and get my sugars down before the 5th of October and lose as much weight as possibly can.

Like I said your young you will conquer this. Take care